Am I too old???? 37 years old, Firefighter - CP & Surveillance operative

LPK

Reaction score
Can anyone help me please???
I am a 37 year old fulltime firefighter of 15 years and a very experienced CP and Surveillance operative of 9 years.

It is my intention to try and join the RMR soon and wondered if anyone on this forum could anticipate an age waiver be granted to me given my background.

I am extremely fit and have many attributes that would see me through to becoming a respected RMR commando. My personal skill set is very very high, my attitude extremely focused and my team playing abilities second to none. I have learnt many skills in my dual roles over the years, skills that would make a great asset to the RMR.

Many thanks in advance. . .

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, from my knowledge around about 32-33 is the cut off point for RM and RMR's.

However do not take this for definate and still ring or go in to your local AFCO, but it is a slim chance.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome.

Unless you have former military service as a trained rank within the Royal Marines or Army infantry within the last 5 years, the odds are stacked against an age waiver. That isn't to say don't make the initial application, but in order to manage realistic aspirations.

Good luck.

LPK

Reaction score
Unfortunatly, from my knowledge around about 32-33 is the cut off point for RM and RMR's.

However do not take this for definate and still ring or go in to your local AFCO, but it is a slim chance.
Thanks for taking the time to reply RMC Watkins. I appreciate your advice. LPK

LPK

Reaction score
Welcome.

Unless you have former military service as a trained rank within the Royal Marines or Army infantry within the last 5 years, the odds are stacked against an age waiver. That isn't to say don't make the initial application, but in order to manage realistic aspirations.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response Ninja, I wont give up without a fight.

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply RMC Watkins. I appreciate your advice. LPK
It's okay, as Ninja_Stoker says still make the intitial application and go into your AFCO. No harm in trying.

LPK

Reaction score
It's okay, as Ninja_Stoker says still make the intitial application and go into your AFCO. No harm in trying.
Thanks RMC Watkins.
As a plan B (always good to have one) I recently contacted the int corps at Liverpool Street/London and personally spoke to a Capt there.
I explained my current occupations and he advised me that I could join the TA/int corps no problem with my skill set. He also told me that the age ceiling would be made flexible for me, given my attributes.
I was just hoping the RMR would do the same for me, this is my dream/first choice reserve post.

LPK

Reaction score
Thanks RMC Watkins.
As a plan B (always good to have one) I recently contacted the int corps at Liverpool Street/London and personally spoke to a Capt there.
I explained my current occupations and he advised me that I could join the TA/int corps no problem with my skill set. He also told me that the age ceiling would be made flexible for me, given my attributes.
I was just hoping the RMR would do the same for me, this is my dream/first choice reserve post.
Hi Guys,
I know it's late but I'm still chasing those knowledgeable replies.

Many Thanks
LPK

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Probably not something the OP may wish to hear, so apologies for any perceived negativity, but in my experience of RMR Recruits over the last 8 years, whilst I've seen a large number of applicants over age 30, I've not yet seen one complete training. Doubtless it can be achieved but it's statistically uncommon.

A variety of reasons: not least the family/work/RMR balance but, much the same as regular service we find the number of training fails rises markedly beyond age 30 possibly due also in part to the natural slowing of the metabolism making recovery from injury more problematic.

mkelly

Reaction score
If you don't me asking, how did you get into CP without any millitary experience?
It's something I tried to get in after getting my SIA but was told no company would look at me without at least 8 years in the military doing a combat role. Did you do the SIA's own CP course?

LPK

Reaction score
I don't mind you asking

Hello mkelly,
I was simply a case of right time right place mate. One door opened, followed by another. I was very fortunate that all of the people I work with are really well connected within the industry. It's as simple as that mate. Sorry that doesn't help you. But you're right, generally you need theatre experience. I suggest you subscribe to CP world forum if you don't already. Always a good place for advice and opportunities.

Good Luck

mkelly

Reaction score
Ah ok, It was something I was looking into as a backup if i didn't get in the corps to be honest. Although it would be very hard with no connections etc, its still something I would like to do after I go outside the corps.
Do you enjoy doing it? Is it really a boring as I hear?

LPK

Reaction score
Not Boring

Its ok. I enjoy it mate. Highs and Lows like any job. It's something you just get use to. It also depends on the tasks you're on and the team you're working with.
Good Luck with it all.
If you have anymore questions, dont hesitate to ask?

LPK

mkelly

Reaction score
Oh well I heard it was just boring but very well paid. I imagine there's a fair bit of travel?

Have you contacted your AFCO? It would be a shame if you are uneligible due to your age.
You seem pretty switched on and like you would be a great asset to the corps. Theres plenty of guys older than you serving.

BEOWULF

Reaction score
LPK...I just turned 33 and my AFCO knew of my age beforehand. Have passed all pre-selection, apptitude, medical, eye exam, PJFT and interview. I am due to join a holding troop soon for a PRMC hopefully in September.

I think it is worth just raising the issue with your AFCO and see if they would be willing to progress. After all you will never know if you never try.

Good luck with it.

WULF.

Hoofin

Commando Officer
Reaction score
If not success try the TA Cdo units or TA Paras I think they take people who are older.