Am I too small to join the Royal Marines?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by danieeeeel, May 16, 2018.

1. danieeeeel

danieeeeel New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello everyone, i'm looking for some opinions/reassurance

I'm currently in year 12 doing A Levels and my dream is to join the Royal Marines as an officer once I finish (however I would be more than happy to join as an OR if the officer pathway doesn't work). My only concern is that, being just about 5'4 (on a good day:D) I would have problems during training because of how small I am.

Another concern I have is that if I were successful as an officer or as an OR, I would not be taken very seriously in comparison to others because of my height. I'm all for banter and joking about my height as i've always been one of the smallest but I just don't want to be in the situation that i'm not taken seriously because of it.

If anyone has any experience or can give any input then please feel free to tell me.

Sorry if this is a stupid question and has been asked loads before.

2. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Assuming you are over 65 kg you are not too small.

Will you have the *text deleted* taken out of you...absolutely. But so does everyone else, for being too thin, fat, ginger, spotty, big-eared, northern, southern, posh...I could go on but you get the drift.

Fact is, do you have the character to deal with it? If so, don't worry about it; embrace the banter and get on with it. It is how good you are at your job that the guys will really worry about, not your inability to get things from the top shelf ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Minimum height upon entry is 151.5 cms. Minimum weight is 65kgs. Minimum bmi for under 18s is 17.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Amazingly, despite my age I'm more comfortable thinking in metric.
    Your current stated height is about 162·2 cm and the minimum standard for entry is 151·5 cm so you're already well above the minimum threshold.

A giraffe of 198·0 cm height will face their own struggles in training but they will be different ones—not better nor worse—than someone of, say, 151·5 cm.

Research the roles of Officer and Other Rank. One is not intrinsically 'better' than the other but they are very different roles. Whatever path you take, ultimately, as alluded to by @dodgyknees you will be judged on your character not on how tall you are.

As your stated age is sixteen years you are in a good position to build your confidence by expanding your experience. Consider broadening your horizons and stepping outside of your comfort zone.
    Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  5. danieeeeel

danieeeeel New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I'm currently about 10kg under the required weight (I've got a few years to add it on though so i'm not too worried just yet) so I will need to bulk up at some point.

With regards to people taking the mick out of me i'm absolutely fine with it as I have always been vertically challenged and so i'm used to pretty much every remark in the book (some of them I actually enjoy:D).

Thanks again for all your replies!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Imperator13

Imperator13 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Don’t forget you’re only 16, plenty of growing left in you!:)

• Like Like x 2
  7. greycarpet47

greycarpet47 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm 5'4 however you'll be surprised at how you way up against the bigger lads. On my last phys session i did with some mates they got me to carry a lad who's a 5'8 rugby player. There was quite a difference in body mass yet i carried him across the football field beating the rest of the lads. Once you've done it once you can crack it over and over, especially feels good when you beat the taller guys who would normally laugh! It's all in the mind for short arses like us!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

As a vertically challenged individual myself, I always find it makes me feel much better when meeting a tall person, asking their height.

Whereupon they answer "Erm, Six foot, ten", the retort: "I suppose you think you're dead hard, don't you?" always breaks the ice, I find.

Occasionally my nose also :(

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. greycarpet47

greycarpet47 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    This guy I met said short people make up the height with humour and to be honest I don’t know many short people that can’t have a laugh

• Like Like x 1
  10. Williamosaurus

Williamosaurus New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    You might not be tall enough to get on certain rides at theme parks but you're definitely tall enough to join the corps. If its what you want then go for it!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. SixteenSixtyFour

SixteenSixtyFour New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog. Provided said dog is at least 151.5cms, that is ;) Crack on fella

• Like Like x 1
  12. PRMH

PRMH New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I’m fairly certain anybody who is determined, committed, courageous enough and able to stay positive as well as remaining unselfish when #%*~ hits the fan, pushing on through the entirety of Recruit training to earn their green lid will have earned the respect of all those around, or serving under them without question.

Because when that day comes you’ll be a Royal Marines Commando no matter what SQ you are.

So worry not about your height because it is the heart of a warrior that inspires others and instils respect, it goes without question, anybody who has earned the Green Beret has the heart of a warrior in my eyes. :D

Sorry if I went a little over the top but you get the message. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1