amblyopia or 'lazy eye'

samo_15

Reaction score
Hello guys....I've seen the visual standards etc. for join the Royal Marines but I have not seen the condition of amblyopia mentioned, this is where one eyes sight is worse than the other due to connections with the brain...

Provided my weakest eye still fits into the visual standards required does anyone know if I have a chance of joining, or whether it is not acceptable!

Cheers lads

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Best bet is to contact your nearest AFCO & ask the medical examiner for definitive guidance.

A rough rule of thumb is to consider the following: Will it in any way impair my ability to, under any circumstances, in any terrain, in any climate, without any prospect of immediate medical treatment, under the most arduous physical circumstances, undertake the same military tasking as the next person who does not have this condition & will it necessitate my unfair reliance on others or place anyone other than me at higher risk because of my presence with this condition?

Put simply- Do I need more than I can give?

Good luck.

samo_15

Reaction score
yeah I guess so...I'll still contact AFCO. Hopefully it'll be ok as my right eye is pretty good!

Doesn't seem fair that I am willing to give up so much and put in so much effort and something I was born with could stop me before I get a chance to prove myself! 99.99% need not apply though I gues... :doh:

Cheers anyway!

Gidion

Reaction score
When i was at army basic training, there was a guy called 'Crazy Eyes', who had two lazy eyes. It might be different for the marines though, so worth checking with afco to make sure.

ade81

Reaction score
Firstly sorry for bumping the thread I know it years old but dont want clog up the forum.

I have recently been to get my eyes tested and I know I would not be eligible for direct service into the RM, but what is the eye sight requirements if I say I did my training in the Royal Artillery and wanted to transfer across to 29 cdo Regt RA?
Here is my prescription and the condition is amblyopia.

SPH CYL AXIS
Right +3.75 -1.25 95
Left +2.00 -0.50 64

Aided VA

Right 6/18
Left 6/4.5

Its my right eye with the condition.
I was always told there was nothing you could do for it as it is more your brain not sending the right info to your eyes. There is some not surgery based treatments focusing on eye exercises so how acceptable are these?
Thanks for lookin in. :bigsmile:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You would need to ask the Army what eyesight standards apply for the Royal Artillery and whether different standards apply for 29.

Best of luck

ade81

Reaction score
Ok nice one Ninja, Been up today to the army careers they give me a form which I took to the opticians, I could not get it back today as the guy who deals with me was on his dinner. The guy at the careers says he will have to send it off to catterick and they will send it back. So should know for sure. I went in previous and apparently no real eye limit on Artillery on its own? Cheers again mucker!:biggrin: