American wanting to join

Lakevu

Reaction score
Hello! I'm an American and wanted to know if there's anyway I would be able to join?

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Are you a dual national?

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Im no expert, but I'm fairly sure you have be a British Citizen or member of the Commonwealth.

Out of interest, why The Royal Marines and not a branch of US armed forces?

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Some roles have stricter nationality and residency requirements than others for security reasons, but in general you can join the Royal Navy if you are:

• A national of the United Kingdom or Ireland
  • A Commonwealth citizen who is applying from inside their own country must be 18. If a resident of the UK you can apply at 16. You must hold a current in date passport and it is the responsibility of individual applicants to ensure that they have permission to be in the UK and this permission is valid for the entirety of the recruitment process up to the point of entry (this does not apply to citizens of the Republic of Ireland, Malta and the Republic of Cyprus)
  • A dual Commonwealth or British national who is not required to complete national service (written evidence is required)
  • A British national living abroad

Some UK units do run SNCO exchange programmes with US. Apart from the odd and limited adventure training exchange ( Ex UK/USANG) there is nothing available at junior level for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Why the corps? I understand the career being attractive for UK and Commonwealth citizens but as an American... mate you have so many other options.

Navy SEALs
US Army Rangers (particularly 75th RR)
MARSOC
USAF PJ
CCT

There are an absolute abundance of elite regiments and corps where you will be pretty much guaranteed to deploy operationally.

Joining the Royal Marines would mean moving to a different country to pursue a career in which you are far less likely to go on kinetic ops as oppose to our American counterparts.

Don't get me wrong, the corps offers a fantastic career and has so many varied paths you can go down, I just think you can find all that and more in the US military.