Amongst The Marines...

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've made this post for two reasons,

the first being that I know the author of this book (Steven Preece) is on the forum and occasionally has a snoop around and I'd just like to say thank you! The book was bloody brilliant, I read it in 2 days and hardly put it down, every opportunity I got I read a few more chapters, I've read a fair few books now almost all of them military based and this is up there with the best.

The second reason was to recommend the book and say that it's a must read for any potential marine, don't think, just buy!

:applaus:

Camz

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I
The second reason was to recommend the book and say that it's a must read for any potential marine, don't think, just buy!
Not really.

While it is a good read, the value as a tool to aid joining the Marines is fairly low.

LJohnson

Reaction score
I disagree massively with your comment camz.. because yes it shows a very violent side of the marine, it shows the truth behind the marines. And those joining the marines need to know this... its like reading 'dits' from serving soldiers of afghanistan.. because yes when you read it you really cannot relate but you still need to know about it.

Kentish

Reaction score
I disagree massively with your comment camz.. because yes it shows a very violent side of the marine, it shows the truth behind the marines. And those joining the marines need to know this... its like reading 'dits' from serving soldiers of afghanistan.. because yes when you read it you really cannot relate but you still need to know about it.
I think he means that the book itself doesn't really describe the role of a Marine, more the drinking lifestyle of a Marine...

Personally, pretty good read, but don't feel it gives much information of his time served in a Marine role, more the author's activities outside of duty.

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I just meant it in a sense that it's a great book about marines and it tell you alot about the life he lead in the marines it doesn't have to be about training, you still have to think about the career your getting yourself into and what your actually training for.. And this is his experiences while in the marines

Kentish

Reaction score
I just meant it in a sense that it's a great book about marines and it tell you alot about the life he lead in the marines it doesn't have to be about training, you still have to think about the career your getting yourself into and what your actually training for.. And this is his experiences while in the marines
Is that aimed towards my point? I didn't once mention training...

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is that aimed towards my point? I didn't once mention training...
Nope wasn't aimed at anybody mate just trying to explain why i think it's a good book for any lads aspiring to be a marine

729troopRM

Reaction score
thought I had dropped into the ARRSE forum for a moment then :fight:

Camz

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Without wanting to get into yet another argument here, remember it is just one person's experience.

What you do in your spare time once you pass out is entirely up to you and not everyone goes out and gets wellied non stop, there are plenty of family men and lads who don't want to get messed up 24/7.

Further, that was 20+ years ago, these days your just going to end up in the nick on an assault charge if you behave like that.

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ha doesn't make it any less of a good book camz? Wether it's 20 years ago or 2 it's still one mans experience in the Corp, the corp that most people on here want to get into. Also yes its *text deleted** one mans experience but that's the whole point of the book telling you about his experiences, most books are just one persons experiences I haven't come across a book about the marines that has 20 people experiences in it because they would all be just an outline and make quite frankly a bad read.

It's a good book for a potential marine because it looks at the life that he will be getting into from his experience, that can only be useful to someone in my opinion.

Mod comment: Please refrain from using text speak on this forum. Regards. Your mod team.

Camz

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's a good book for a potential marine because it looks at the life that he will be getting into from his experience, that can only be useful to someone in my opinion.
That is not the life that a recruit will get into unless that is what he wants to do. It is what you make it, the only thing this book could really do is make someone hesitant to join if they think that is what every marine is forced into doing.

I've been on seshes with Royals that were ridiculous, I've also been on benders with accountants that were equally crazy. Heavy drinking and the marines arent exclusive, a fair amount tend to do it as it is a stressful job and a drinking session is some people way to wind down.

So to round up the book.

Educational value to a life as a marine: 1% (as there is very little about you know, the actual job)

Entertainment value: 80% +

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Unless he wants get get into that.... Funny because he says in the book that when he first joined he didn't want to be like that but spending time in the marines made him like that, however I agree that it's up to you wether you atop yourself and don't get to that point.

I maintain the fact that weather it shows a good or bad light of the marines, it's still his experience as being one and is therefore helpful to a potential marine. I doesn't have to be educational. It does show his life as a marine so it carnt be 1%, it doesn't say anything aout operations and such but then that not what the book is about it's about the life of a marine not the operational tours of one.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
I did mention at the start of my first book, that my story depicts the private life I experienced as a Marine and that's exactly what it does.

Three articles may answer your questions:

1. http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/ar...hive/7152741._I_just_couldn_t_stop_fighting_/

This one is 4 pages long:

2. http://www.journallive.co.uk/lifest...ormer-royal-marine-alan-price-61634-28918298/

3. http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/business/former_marine_pens_third_book_1_3539477

Happy Reading Guys.

You have to remember, of course, that my years in the Marines were some of the very best years of my life; and were also the building blocks that formed me into who I am today.

Steve, aka: Al

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
:iagree: at the end of the day I enjoyed the book a lot and this was simply a recommendation because I thought a lot of other lads would enjoy it

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Still a good book none the less. I enjoy reading it here and there and keeps me well entertained.

I agree with one point though - behaviour like that nowadays will probably get you kicked of the corps and a lot of assault charges. What's the world coming to eh?

Keep writing Preece.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Cheers redbull.

I did write the sequel, as the second book starts, where the first book stops; and then I wrote a novel about former bootnecks.

At the moment I'm toying with the idea of writing a film script.

SP

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers redbull.

I did write the sequel, as the second book starts, where the first book stops; and then I wrote a novel about former bootnecks.

At the moment I'm toying with the idea of writing a film script.

SP
I think that would be great but ALOT of hard work!

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Hi Connor, that's true, mate, but you know what bootnecks are like:

No task too big, no order to tall, if a barrier gets in the way,I'll smash though it like a wall.

As I've said before: Like is like a brick wall.

If I can't get over it, I go under it. If I can't go under it, I go around it.

And

If I can't go around it, I go through it.

JOB DONE.

SP

Connor!

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Connor, that's true, mate, but you know what bootnecks are like:

No task too big, no order to tall, if a barrier gets in the way,I'll smash though it like a wall.

As I've said before: Like is like a brick wall.

If I can't get over it, I go under it. If I can't go under it, I go around it.

And

If I can't go around it, I go through it.

JOB DONE.
SP
Best get cracking then mate! :rally_drive: