Amongst the Marines

Did you enjoy Steve's book, Amongst the Marines ??

• Total voters

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just thought I’d do a quick review of Steve Preece’s book – Amongst the Marines as I finished reading it a few days back.

For those of you that don’t know or haven’t read the book, it’s Steve Preece’s quite stark account of his time as a Royal Marine Commando from 1983 to 1990, serving first at entry-level and then as a lance-corporal.
Amongst the Marines is Steve’s own first-hand tale of his years as a marine, from leaving CTC until his departure from the marines after the acquittal from a court marshal attempt.
Steve focuses directly on his own excessive and often shocking lifestyle as a Marine during this time, and the resulting knock on effect this had on his own personality, behaviour and the relationship with his family.

Having checked the book out online on various websites it seems to have gotten a mixed bag of reviews from readers, ranging from guys like myself who are on route with their app to joining the RM’s to people claiming to have served with Steve & other fellow RM’s from this era, One reviewer even going as far as making this comment –

“I served in the Marines from 1974-1981 & indeed was in 45Commando from '75-'79. After 1981 I served with Special Forces. If we'd have gone on like this we would have been crucified...literally! We certainly were no angels but for this conduct to have been tolerated is a disgrace. What a shower!! After reading this I don't see how anyone would let their son join such an outfit. It has confirmed my belief in the deterioration of HM Forces & for anyone wanting to join a "rough, tough outfit"; they should head for the French Foreign Legion. Their training is far better & more diverse. You’ll learn the lot relating to Soldiering.”

Not having any family members who ever served in the RM’s at any stage I can’t offer any comment on the above review! Maybe guys on the here may be able to offer some insight if they had family members serving at the same time as Steve.

Luckily I’m a great believer in checking these things out for myself, so I thought what the hell; I might as well see what all the fuss is about!
Firstly the book is an easy & enjoyable read but a very stark account of one mans time relating to the social side of the marines and the bonds he forged with other fellow marines.
After the first few chapters I personally found the book hard to put down as I wanted to see what was going to happen to Steve next, the only reason I did was because it was time to go training *text deleted*..! In my own opinion, I personally felt that the book/Steve could have elaborated more on certain things, but that’s by the by and doesn’t have any major overall effect on the story as it unfolds.

I've always understood that life as a marine was challenging & hard, but on the other hand it’s also very rewarding one to; Steve’s book seems to reinforce that! Obviously he had his ups & downs as mentioned in the book, the constant fighting to control his aggression, his struggle with the relationship with his family etc, but from what I’ve read it’s made Steve the person he is today, thus giving him the drive & ambition to see things through!

After reading ‘Amongst the Marines’ I have to say I’m glad I did! Again what I’ve written here is just my own personal opinion but I would say that everyone should read this book and then make their own mind up about what they think themselves!

Please feel free to comment.

Steve.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Book Review

Thanks for the review Shiloh79. Yes my first book did cause quite a stir and I put up with a hell of a lot of crap because of it. However, it was my own personal story, focusing on my personal life as a Royal Marine back in the 80's. There's a mixed bag of comments on the http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...-alias=aps&field-keywords=amongst+the+marines website as well as many other places.

Following its release I took a lot of flak from people who served in different eras, had different experiences to me or others who had just jumped on the band wagon at the time. That said: being a bootneck is all about never giving in and carrying on relentlesley no matter what the odds. I took my argument onto the marines forum and probably everywhere else for that matter, where the fire fight continued. However, peice by peice I proved the start, the middle and the end of my story with the help of other marines who served with me or some who united with my story on the way through. In 2005 I released the sequal "Always A Marine" which told a different side of the story and even explained why I wrote the first book.

I did turn into a handful during my service, maybe it was because of my violent inception at my first commando unit or maybe it was because of my upbringing. Maybe a combination of both, I don't know.

The good thing that stood out in my first book was the comradeship. My oppos stood by me through thick and thin. Even today, they're still on the end of a telephone if I need to contact them. That's what the Corps does for you. Once you make the grade you will serve with some of the best soldiers in the world and will undoubtedly forge friendships that last a life time. Additionally you'll probably strive to succeed in the face of adversity throughout the rest of your life in the military or in civvy street.

I made many mistakes throughout my career as recorded in that book and I hope others can learn from them.

Best Regards

Steve

Gaz

Reaction score
Any luck with the new book yet Steve?

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Next Book

Gaz: I'm still waiting for a response from a number of agents about my third book. It really is a difficult and painfully slow process. The average reply time from an enquiry is 6 to 12 weeks. So patience is a hard word to swallow, but unfortunately a necessity in my case.

I'll keep pressing until I hit the right cord with a publisher as I believe its a great story and it would spark a succession of books. My publisher www.mainstreampublishing.com only publishes non fiction, but are trying to help me find a suitable publisher for any subsequent novels that I write.

Cheers

Steve

Gaz

Reaction score
That's a long time to wait for an answer! What a nightmare! Sure someone will come along soon, especially now there is a bit more of a spotlight on the Marines with the recent TV programme, and that there back out to Afganistan soon.

Sure you got plenty of stories to tell too mate! :D

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Just finished re-reading the two books even after the second time I found them hard to put down. I will definetely be giving your third book a go based soley on the merit of your first two :-D

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
The Corps

PAGreenwell said:
Steve,

I haven't yet read "Always a Marine" so my answer may well be in there. But I was wondering whether you have ever had any regrets about leaving the Corps ?
Yes the answers are in Always A Marine and yes I did miss the Corps. If I could turn the clock back, I'd join up all over again. No problem. :D

Cheers

Steve

pompey606

Reaction score
hi steve, if both books where to be made into a movie/tv series who would you most like to play the role of yourself?

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
TV Role

Now that wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd need a keen young man, who knows how to use his head in a crisis :D to play the start and then possibly someone like Sean Bean to play the role in the second book.

:D :shock: :? :*text deleted*: 8) :eek: :( :evil: :twisted: :wink: :D

I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Cheers

Steve

Gaz

Reaction score
Can't have Sean Bean Steve...... he played an ex-Para in a film called Outlaw! *text deleted* :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*:

What about Daniel Craig...... :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*:

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Sean Bean

Yes you're right. I can't have a para playing a bootneck. It would cause a little friction to say the least.

Yes I'd go for Daniel Craig. He's the man of the moment. Mind you, that guy in the Bourne Films would certainly fit the bill.

Cheers

Steve

Gaz

Reaction score
Matt Damon...... *text deleted* yeah can see it Steve! Not sure he would like to risk messing his face up with all the headbutts he would have to do if he played you! *text deleted* :D :D :D :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*:

pompey606

Reaction score
steven you do not want matt damon i promise you that is not a good idea! i would of said a bit of jason statham would do the job nicely!

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
pompey606 said:
steven you do not want matt damon i promise you that is not a good idea! i would of said a bit of jason statham would do the job nicely!
Yea Statham is one of my favorite actors, also has the same first name as me :P

I'll be ordering these books soon :D

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Headbutt

Gaz said:
Matt Damon...... *text deleted* yeah can see it Steve! Not sure he would like to risk messing his face up with all the headbutts he would have to do if he played you! *text deleted* :D :D :D :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*:
I'm back on line. I'm currently on a disaster recovery exercise. Its a yearly event to recover networks if we are hit by a disaster or a terrorist activity. Would you beleive my training in the Corps still comes in handy in all kinds of situations including this exercise. I'm leading fom the front, but as a former bootneck I wouldn't expect any different.

Gaz: Yes, you're right about the nut. They used to say that, if I had a boxing glove on my head I would have been a world champion :D

Also: One of my senseis once asked me to throw a headbutt at him.
He moved swiftly to evade it and everybody clapped. However, he knew and I knew, I pulled it back at the last moment and my head would have broke the target in pieces if I didn't. As they say: Learn to use your head in a crisis! :twisted: :shock: :D

Gaz

Reaction score
Was waiting for a reply like that steve.... *text deleted* :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*: