An Overseas Recruit?

Rob1234

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Heres my Situation.
I am a born and bred Brit. My mothers British and so is my dad. I waas born in London and have always been a British citizen. The one thing is that I havent lived there since I was 4. Im now 22 and in my last year at Uni. I was first in the US and am now at Uni in Australia.
Heres my Question.
Would this effect my becoming a Royal Marine Officer? I ahve heard that there are residency requirements but also have heard that these can be waved. Would this hurt my becoming an Officer specifically or would it hurt my entry in general to the Marines? Also *text deleted* often been ridiculed for my desire to join the Military back in Britain while possesing an American accent. What response do you think I would get?
Assuming Im physically and mentally able to do this, do you think I can suceed with these factors?
Thanks a lot.

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Now I can't speak about the technicalities of your current residency status, however being ridiculed for your accent? In an organisation such as the marines, as long as you are keeping up with everyone, they will respect you. There will almost certainly be some light hearted piss taking, but I'll get just as much for my receding hairline!

Good luck, keep us updated. If I were you I'd get the telephone number of an AFCO (Armed Forces Careers Office) in Britain, call them up, and try and arrange a telephone chat.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Your accent has nothing to do with applying to join the Royal Marines as an Officer.

You are eligible with regard nationality providing you are a UK passport holder. You need to confirm you are eligible with regard academic qualifications as a Degree itself is not enough unless you have an acceptable UK equivalent to 5 GCSE's A*-C including Maths & English together with 180 UCAS points at A2 Level or overseas equivalent- this can be verified by the overseas desk at London AFCO.

You also need to confirm you are eligible for a residency waiver by contacting the overseas desk at London AFCO. (Link below or email nr-london-ca3g@rncareers.mod.uk )

Good luck

Rob1234

Reaction score
I know it sounds silly but for someone who has been telling everyone around him that hes not an american despite his accent, but in fact British, it isnt so silly. I am very self conscious of my accent. Im somewhat worried about making it to AIB and having them look at me a little funny because of my accent. Thats all.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well it shouldn't be a problem if you have the ability. When people hear your American accent they may think 'BURN HIM', but because your a Brit, that cancels it out!

I'm sure they've had plenty of people from countries of the commonwealth of who have strong accent's, Australia, South Africa, Belize etc so it shouldn't be a problem.

S

Sotiris

Chill man.

You're more or less in the same situation as I am. Haha I even have an American accent too! I grew up in Dubai where there is no real accent, so I picked up what we used to watch on TV I guess.

I've only been in the UK for about 3 years now so I don't fulfill the residency requirements. The Captain in charge of my application (YO) brushed that aside casually, said he'll put me up for a waiver. I've just got the dates for my psychometric.

You'll be fine.

Oh and by the way, the Commando in charge of my application is South African with the accent to boot.

Rob1234

Reaction score
The residency is something *text deleted* been wondering about. I believe I mantain legal residence but not actual residence. As far as banks and lawyers are concerned I maintain residence. Is this good enough or do you actually have to LIVE in britain? Thanks for the info Sotiris, its very reassuring to know their are others like me. Also anyone know what the age limit on Officer application is? Ill be 23 or 24 by the time Im done with Uni and make it to Britain. I think ill be fine but if anyone know that would be appreciated.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The residency is something *text deleted* been wondering about. I believe I mantain legal residence but not actual residence. As far as banks and lawyers are concerned I maintain residence. Is this good enough or do you actually have to LIVE in britain? Thanks for the info Sotiris, its very reassuring to know their are others like me. Also anyone know what the age limit on Officer application is? Ill be 23 or 24 by the time Im done with Uni and make it to Britain. I think ill be fine but if anyone know that would be appreciated.

As stated, the residency issue is best confirmed by the Overseas Desk (email above), however if you are a single nationality UK passport holder and have resided in only the US & Australia (Commonwealth country), then you may possibly be eligible for a residency waiver- but get the definitive answer as suggested.

Again, you need to confirm your eligibility for officer with regard your overseas academic qualifications. The A level equivalency is a common stumbling block.

Age-wise, you need to start Commando Officer training before your 26th birthday. To achieve this you should submit an application 12 months prior to the September entry you wish to join & complete all selection elements by the preceding May of that entry year.