An update on my application

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good morning all.

Firstly? I hope you all had a lovely Christmas and a splendid new year.

So, couple of points:

i.) At my medical? I was given a T.M.U on the basis of my weight (I am 6ft dead and weigh 98 k.g and need to be 93 k.gs to pass the BMI thing (currently? I am rather obese creature, according the NHS, at a BMI of 29.1); as well as a skin infection. So fast forward! Weight is now being lost progressively at around a kilo a fortnight; so I am hoping, in around 6 weeks' time or so? I can get myself back to the quack and get medically fit then start training. Am 28 this year, lads! So time's ticking quicker than the government's days in office, for me

ii.)
Fitness is coming on nicely; with a 9-minute average for my 1.5-mile run, and around a 21-minute average for my 3-miler. I am pleased with it, and the pull-ups, whilst they can only be described as "painful" at best and "down right horrid" at worse, are also coming alone rather nicely

My only hurdle is now? The Doctor, at the time of my medical, wanted me to see a Royal Marines' doctor to assess my suitability for service, in the Marines, on the basis of my flat foot; however? I am fairly confident that such predicaments will not pertain to me being made unfit for service; as I am keeping a fairly concise (digital) record to evidence my ability of my running with a dropped arch though, to be fair to the Doctor, he did say he was of the opinion the foot was, in his own words "rather flexible"

All in all, to those in a similar position to me? Plod on! When I Was T.M.U'd., I didn't think "well damn it! I'll just leave it" and I certainly didn't do what a mate of mine done, and went to join the Army! I've just kept focused and kept my fitness up, as you do.

So plod on, lads! I want to be a Marine; and I have translated that, into my mind, to "I will be a Marine" and the hurdles that I have faced (e.g., fretting over the perceived difficulty of the R.T., to the eye-test and the interview) have all been overcome, with rather pleasing results; so this medical hurdle? I will keep the same state of mind and will simply overcome it.

Best wishes:
The Creature Of The Night

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Are your feet just flat or do you have insoles?
To be fair? I've never really had to wear insoles for my feet when running however, I have been told I should consider them (from a third-party; not docs) so don't really know what to do? I know for a fact my left foot is flat thought. That's a fact that it is.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Onward and upward, fingers crossed all goes well at the medical.

You may already be aware, but prescribed orthotics are a bar to entry, so if you do go for insoles, go for bought rather than prescribed.

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Would definitely recommend getting some insoles if you've got any hint of flat feet mate. Even the most supportive trainers often still don't give you the arch support you need.

I used to have flat feet when I was younger and still overpronate when I run, so bought some £13 sports insoles from Boots to give me some more support. It seems to have done the trick and I don't get any achy knees or anything like that any more. Likewise, a load of us wear them on training exercises in our issued boots and it makes a massive difference in how ruined your feet feel after a weekend. Definitely worth getting to prevent any injuries in the longer-term.

Latest posts

New Threads