Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Another attempt at POC?

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by mactavish80, Jun 17, 2019.

1. mactavish80

mactavish80 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Morning troops,

Bit of an odd one but I'm after some advice - I applied for RM officer aged 17 and have since undertaken 2 POCs. At my first I was a weak candidate with average scores across the board (9:30 return, 40 press, 10 pull). Quickly became apparent after bottom field I was the weakest candidate left and on the endurance course I was removed from the course just after VW triangle for failing to do some carries.

I reapplied and had another POC this year, which I got a 9 month deferral from. I performed well on the first day and bottom field (8:24 return, 12 pull, 55 press and was at the front for most of bottom field) but I had a partner who was 15kg heavier than me for the carries and failed the fireman's carry on bottom field. when we got to the carries and drags on VW triangle I was in massive pain and had dropped significantly to the back (ie from literally being first to nearly being lapped by the other pairs), and I VW'd.

What I'm basically after is opinions on if I should have another crack - the first time I failed I attributed my struggling with carries as being a by product of not being fit enough, but considering I was a strong performer in every aspect of my second POC (except carries, obviously) I'm now questioning if I will ever have the aptitude. It's been a few months since the failure and the feeling of wanting to reapply has grown since, but I don't want it to be all in vain.

As a side note, can anyone confirm if you even get a third chance? I've heard it's a maximum of 2 at POC.

2. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I assume that if you got a 9 month diferral from your latest POC, you are allowed another crack but @Ninja_Stoker or @CHUB! should be able to say for certain.

I am guessing that if your partner was 15kg heavier than you, you must be reasonably small. That, along with your relative youth will make it more tricky to get through POC so my advice would be don’t go back down until you are sure you have remedied any issues previously identified.

POC is not a numbers game and as such you must ensure you add functional fitness to your gym regime. In many ways leg and core strength are more important than upper body and yet are frequently overlooked. Hill reps, squats etc will help develop you in this area.

If you really want it, get in some serious training and have another crack. Do not give up until someone tells you definitively your application has run its course.

Good luck for whatever you decide.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A brief read through your posts from 2016 onwards suggests that you are now aged about twenty. In previous posts you stated an awareness of your youth and its possible impact on outcome at POC.

As referenced by @dodgyknees maximise your chance of success at a third POC. Don't rush into it. Address identified shortcomings. And remember that passing POC merely opens the door to attending AIB which is arguably the bigger hurdle to pass.

A Careers Adviser can give you the heads up on the probability of a third crack at POC but I'd suggest that you have a credible and convincing argument prepared to justify a place. Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

4. mactavish80

mactavish80 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thank you both for your responses. Looks like it's time for an honest think about the best path. Guess I'd better call the careers office and see what the gen is

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Ultimately, it's your ACLO's call.

As a recruiter for 15 years, I must confess I've not heard of a potential officer being given three cracks at POC but that doesn't mean to say it's not possible...if you can prove absolutely that you are a genuinely a realistic contender.

In my experience (other Careers Advisers are available) viable RM Officer candidates are much more likely to fail AIB than POC, first time around.

Either way good luck, face East, etc.

6. anon1234

anon1234 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    If you genuinely want it, with vivid and deep rooted reasons then you can put in the mental and physical preparation and pass next time.

Mental training can be beneficial (books such as The Obstacle is the Way and Can't Hurt Me are influential). Mental imagery, coping strategies, self-talk (if you're mind is saying quit and you do, then self-talk needs considerable work), and rational thinking (i.e not emotional).

Even if you are at the back, that is no reason to stop. You stop when the instructors say so. You can do more than you think.

If you go back again, your gym numbers look sound, but I would get in the gym and do a bit of lower body lifting, sled dragging in the gym and try find a partner and do carries. Since this is your most troublesome physical area which you need most development, try do it a little these exercises a little more frequently (i.e 2/3 days per week). Build up the volume, intensity and loads to match those you will face at the POC. No point fireman's carrying a 40kg person if everyone at POC is around 75-90kg. Be smart.

So a workout could be something like...
    A. Back Squat, 5 x 6-10 reps (start light and over the weeks increase weight)
    B. Sled Drag, 5 sets of 30-50m (start light and build weight up)
    C. Lunges, 5 sets of 10 each leg
    D. Fireman's Carry 8 sets of 50m (increase distance over the weeks)

Good luck buddy, all the best in the future!

It is possible