Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Another RMR question thread

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Requiem, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I’ve got a few RMR questions I’m hoping I can get some help with

1. If I apply for RMR and pass my interview, medical, and PJFT, then decide I want to go regular, will my application be swapped at that stage or will I have to re-apply from scratch?

2. I noticed in an old thread Ninja said the below and I reckon someone already in could shed some light on it:
    "One point anyone joining the RMR needs to be aware of is the fact that you WILL be operationally mobilised, serving within a Lead Commando unit for up to 12 months, once you earn your green beret. Make no mistake.

It may well be that whilst serving in a Lead Commando unit you do not get deployed outside of UK, but it would be wise to expect up to six months away during those twelve months serving within a regular commando unit."

Does this mean I should square with my boss that I could be out of work for 6 months to a year? We've clarified that a month or two is fine, and the time away for RT is fine, even if war kicked off, but that amount of time guaranteed might be a killer. If that's the case, I'll probably just head full-time.

3. Any idea of possibilities of adventure training and the like? I keep getting mixed signals with this one, and I assume it depends on which unit you’re in (RMR Tyne for me). How does it work with RMR? I’m under the impression it’s all voluntary (even deployments), but does AT go to one specific RMR branch at a time or do they send it out to everyone and it’s first come first serve?

I’m single and don’t have kids, and plan to keep it that way for a long time, so I hope that will give me an advantage with short notice AT or deployments.

2. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Well I know you can switch roles easy enough. I was applying to be an officer but had to change because of repeated medical delays. I was just finishing my interview when I found out I'd probably have to switch roles. Call up your AFCO and tell them the situation and they'll change it for you easily enough even if you've probably done your PJFT

3. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks mate. I actually haven't applied yet and there'll still be a few months before I do. I'm just curious because some of the military admin practices aren't the smartest, and with capita nobbing people about I could picture it being a potential set back.

4. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Tell me about it. Capita essentially cost me my chance for the officers and nearly any opportunity for the military because I was once prescribed an inhaler. They're a damned nightmare. Be ready to make a few medical appeals.

The RM application sight ain't the best made bit of software either

• Like Like x 1
  5. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Bloody hell, sorry to hear that mate. I had asthma when I was a kid and had an inhaler too so no doubt they'll cause problems with that.

Yeah I can imagine. I work in IT and I've dealt with, and worked in similar companies like Capita (if they handle the software), and it's always a mess with those massive tech companies. All the back end server stuff is held together with tape and string, every time.

6. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    You will have problems with the sight. Mark my words.

Listen I don't want to dash your hopes but a mate of mine got a four year deferral trying to apply for the RIR, and he was like you. Asthma as a kid.
    You could very well be told something similar or worse.

Just warning you now.

7. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Appreciate you leeting me know. Sounds like they should add this to the commando tests since it's such a bloody nightmare just trying to get your foot in the door.

8. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Aye you're right. I had to appeal twice just to get to the face to face medical...they literally heard me mention an inhaler in the triage phone call and said "Nah he's probably asthmatic"

There are studies showing how recruitment numbers have steadily went down under Capita. It's actually staggering

If they do defer you or declare you PMU (permanently medically unfit) as they did with me, DO NOT GIVE UP. Fight tooth and nail to make sure you get your chance. Don't let bureacracy bs hold you back

9. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Do you mind me asking how the inhaler question came about? I assume they just asked if you've ever used one?

Yeah I've saw it's absolutely mind boggling and I can see why people become frustrated. First impressions last.

Haha yeah mate I've dealt with companies like this before and it won't be the last either. If they have something to say to slow me down I'll get stuck in and throw it right back at them.

10. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I think in the phone call they just asked have ever been prescribed anything like this. I down played it as much as possible but that wasn't enough.

Make sure you give them the sausage whatever happens...

11. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    That's a shame. I'll just have to see how it goes on the day.

I don't live far from a big Capita office in Newcastle, so any grief and I'll walk right over and stick it through the post box.

12. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Good idea

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

1. All successfully completed selection elements remain valid RM or RMR. All you need do is make the final decision upon passing PRMC.

2. When mobilised, you can appeal against it if your employer has valid reasons to defer. You should notify your employer you are joining the Reserves, but their are exceptions, depending on your full time job contract: https://www.gov.uk/employee-reservist

3. Adventurous Training is available on a first-come basis providing your employer is happy and your unit has sufficient man training days to pay individuals whilst on AT. Operational tasking and training takes precedent but for RMR trained ranks AT is entirely feasible.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Nice one. Cheers Ninja

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lovat1664

Lovat1664 New Member

Going to jump in with a question for you Ninja, I'm currently at Lympstone in regular recruit training, I'm in phase 2 and was wondering if there's any option to transfer to RMR and weather or not you would have to 're do phase 1 with the RMR or could drop in for phase 2?

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

• It depends on a few things:
    • The reason for wanting to transfer.
    • Whether the training team recommend the individual as a viable prospect.
    • The training record to date/PSO recommend.
    • When the individual wishes to transfer & whether there is a RMR Recruit Troop at the same equivalent stage of training.

17. Lovat1664

Lovat1664 New Member

Is there anyone specific at CTC to speak to about it or is it best to ring a careers office and get information that way?

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You need to talk to the PSO, usually via your training team. The scheme is called a seamless transfer but if you've passed the Week 26 stage of Recruit Training it's unlikely.

Similarly, as you've passed Phase One, I'd question the wisdom as it could take you a lot longer to gain your Green Beret in the RMR, dependent on what stage of training the local RMR Recruit Troop is at.

Unless there are compelling circumstances and you've a civilian job lined-up, you are effectively making yourself unemployed and untrained.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  19. Dvv63

Dvv63 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    As long as you get a doctors letter confirming you haven't had any symptoms,or used an inhaler for at least 4/5 if possible more,you should be ok. My lad did a month of a peak flow diary as evidence that he had no problems,keep a copy of it,Crapita lost it!! and he had to do another month again. He got accepted straight away :D

20. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Tip top, cheers mate - really apprecaite this info. I'll call the GP and close to the time and get that one sorted. Good to hear hear your lad beat them at their own game. Capita trying to give it the big one and he knocks out a 4D chess move.

• Like Like x 1