Another sore knee thread

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Hubb97, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hi, I have an annoying issue with my knee because, stupidly, when I first starting having it, instead of taking a few days off running which I'm pretty certain will have prevented it, I carried on running a lot due to having signed up for a 10 mile race. Running doesn't really cause much discomfort if I have warmed up properly. However, when bending down and attempting to do squats an annoying pain probably just below my kneecap in my right knee flares up. I was training through this for about 2-4 weeks before the race without any real issues, just an annoying pain that I could run through that would eventually subside. I did the race without any issues but decided to take the week off running just to let it subside. I did another run yesterday over hills and trails which was fine during although afterwards it was a bit sore. I'm just wondering if anyone has had anything like this before and what did they do to combat it? I'm currently just waiting for a face-to-face medical which I've been told is 1-2 weeks away which Is why i'm quite eager to get rid of it!

I'm currently doing a lot of hamstring stretches (as my flexibility is crap) as well as foam rolling the quads and hamstrings. I'm also starting to do leg extensions at the gym but wondering if this is causing more harm than good!
    Thanks a lot.

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. DeskJockey

DeskJockey Royal Marines Commando

@Hubb97 It all depends on how well you squat mate. A lot of knee pain doesn't stem from squatting, knee pain happens because a lot of people squat badly.

Personally, I get a bit of knee pain if my quads are tight, since the quad is a large muscle that's connected to your knee.

I squat multiple times a week and don't get knee pain because i've worked on my squat and mobility.

You'll see a lot of people with fitness programmes on this site and they look like decent programmes mixed with running, body work and weights, but nobody will put stretching or mobility work in their programme from what I've seen.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  3. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Cheers for that, I'm as stiff as a board to be honest, if asked to touch my toes I struggle to get past my knees and with sit ups I can't even touch the floor with my elbows due to my shoulders being so tight, also meaning If I wanted to do weight squats I wouldn't be able to as I cannot grasp the bar on my back unless I use a really wide grip so mobility and flexibility is certainly something I'm working on a lot from now on!

4. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Member

It's sounds like patellar tendinitis, although don't take this as gospel. I would say definitely work on leg flexibility and strengthen the quads, as well as hip mobility whilst your waiting to see a Doctor.

Stop doing anything that makes it hurt.

I have had patellar tendinitis and stupidly worked through the pain/didn't take the doctors advice to the letter because I thought that's what being a Royal Marines Commando was all about. I ended up having it for a number of months and becoming quite disheartened and unmotivated with everything, but I'm back on the mend now and my head is in the right place.

Whatever the doctor says, DO IT. He or she has spent years and years in becoming a doctor and know what is best for you, so do it to the letter.

And remember, you are not the first to have a setback, and unfortunately you won't be the last. See the it through and keep us updated. All the best mate

5. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Recently stumbled across squat university and it's helping me a lot! The articles are free and give you an insight into an issue you may have, why you have it and how to fix it

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thanks for this, haven't actually been to see a doctor about it yet as I feel it's something I can sort out myself just through stretching a lot and easing the running back a bit. Just irritating and bad timing, that's all! Cheers, all the best to you too!

Shall have a look, thank you!

7. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

These might be of help as well if you're looking to improve your squatting technique, from the guys of Squat University:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Brill, thank you very much:D

• Like Like x 1
  9. DeskJockey

@Hubb97 ye mate, work on mobility everyday, it'll help with your knees but also help with recovery and injury prevention.

When I was younger I suffered from Osgood-Schlatter, basically little bump below the knee that becomes painful but you eventually grow out of it.

I recovered fully from that and have no pain now, so you shouldn't have any problems if you're willing to work on your mobility.

Good luck mate

• Like Like x 1
  10. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

For those interested Dr Kelly Starrett is a good source of info regarding mobility!! his book "Becoming a supple Leopard" is excellent!!

• Like Like x 2
  11. DeskJockey

yep @arny01 , I've got that boy, but he also has a channel on youtube with more content swell. Defoe worth a look.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1