Ant Middleton

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by greenzRM, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Rover

Rover Moderator

Other patrols were inserted deep behind enemy lines at that time. Yet no others seemed to have problems with communications.o_O

Something missing in the Planning and Preparation?:(

• Like Like x 1
  2. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree with the other patrols having no problems but my question still remains, wrong codes were given to the B20 patrol, could they have been checked before leaving Saudi or would they have still not found out until the patrol were in the area of operations?

And was it the patrols cock up or someone higher up/SF sigs?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

I'm no comms expert but am familiar with the procedures for routine code changes on warships because one of my duties was checking the crypto material was present and correct.

The answer is (probably), that if they were genuinely checked and found to be OK prior to deparure by the patrol, then the only thing that would stop them working in the field that I could think of, is a routine crypto change, I'd have thought - happy to be corrected.

If that's the case here, then the responsibility for routinely changing the codes rests with the SF signaller in the unit on the ground. If the crypto is wrong, the comms outwardly function but no one is decrypting anything other than the code currently being used.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rover

Rover Moderator

Not just a case of the patrol radio there were also four TACBE units within the patrol!

As I stated Preparation and Planning.

There is enough in the public domain to indicate failures at various levels. All which was covered at the internal enquiry.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    5452EC38-8C30-46DE-98D6-E1A3DF356BC6.jpeg

Anyone read this yet? If so does he talk much about his time in the Army and the RM/SBS?

6. pch90

pch90 New Member

Yeah I have read it, he talks about his time in the army and the marines, and a bit about the differences he found between them. He also talks about sbs selection, as well as some of his tv projects and his jail time. I finished it in two days, well worth a read.

• Like Like x 2
  7. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Mate, the SBS bit finishes as soon as he finishes the hills phase! I went and got mine signed up at the NAM, my son was well angry he wasn’t Peppa Pig haha

• Like Like x 1