Any benifits...

Jay22

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any benifits by doing pushups with extra weight? Or does this just cause more damage?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Whilst no expert in fitness, the recurring theme with regard Royal Marines fitness preparations is the focus on balancing CV capacity, upper body strength & endurance capability. For those under about 20 years of age, upper body strength & distance runs are the weaker areas.

Outdoor runs of around 5 mile duration, frequent swims, press-ups, pull-ups & sit-ups seem to consistently achieve the required standards. The problem with any form of weight training is the tendency to "bulk-up" & gain muscle mass. You do not need muscle mass to complete Commando training, in fact if you go as far as body-building (such as that undertaken by USMC, who constantly "pump-iron") it is unlikely you will complete PRMC successfully, let alone Recruit Training.

Your own body-weight is enough- don't fall into the trap of trying to "bulk-up" it will cripple you in training.

Good luck!

Jay22

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am in no need to "bulk up" nor do i want to. I just thought that adding a little extra weight, might improve the number pressups i can do in 2 minutes. From now on I will stick to normal ones.
Thanks Ninja.

Jay

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was once given some good advice about wanting to get stronger.

I asked how I could get stronger but not gain much muscle. But to get stronger you'd need more muscle, right?

All you need to do is have a good balanced diet and don't push yourself too hard at first. If you have access to a gym, try doing bench press (Flat, incline and decline) This will help you out a lot!

If you want to know anymore, just let me know.

Also, circuit training will help "shock" your muscles and develop them a lot quicker, but remember to change you exercises every 2 weeks (maximum 4) because your body gets used to it and you don't be able to do as much.