Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Any PRMC questions?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by fine, Jan 8, 2020.

1. fine

fine Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Passed my prmc in december so if you have any questions, queries, or advice about anything regarding prmc or training for prmc then fire away

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Kiwinfantry

Kiwinfantry New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    First off, grats mate!
    What scores did you get?

Where did you lose the most people?

What part did you find the hardest?

Was there anything that was seriously unexpected and caught you out?

Good luck with training!

3. fine

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks mate!
    Bleep 11.6
    Press ups 47
    Sit ups 72 give or take
    Pull ups 9
    1.5 return 10.29
    Not sure about assault course but I assume I got an average score I guess.

Lost TONS of people on the bleep test and pull ups. One kid said 'my afco didn't tell me that there were bleeps for the pull ups!' Which was madness. I'd say 10+ people failed altogether on various gym tests and the pti was threaders. Maybe three people on the bottom field got thinned out, and no one on the endurance course. Started with 41 and ended with 19.

Hardest part for me was 100% without a doubt the carries and drags. Carrying your partner up a slight hill and then sprinting back down for his turn to carry you. 4 Carries/drags, 8 sprints, halfway through the determination test -spitoutdummy-. Then they made us do the exact same carry/drag circuit on the endurance course (I cried a little inside when they announced it) and man I had to have words with myself during it.

I wouldn't say anything super caught me out. I had done a lot of research and speaking to various people, plus this forum is a god send, so I prepared reasonably well. Obviously my 1.5 return score wasnt as good as the rest but I was nearer the front of the pack for the majority of the determination and endurance course so it just goes to show.

If you have anything else you want to ask let me know!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Steeplejackb

Steeplejackb Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    What did your training plan look like before prmc?

5. fine

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I made a 3 month plan and had a training diary to keep up with it all. Wass quite complicated in terms of heart rate zones etc but the basic premise was:

3 runs a week
    3 gym sessions a week (including a sprint circuit or slow cardio session at the end on the rower, bike, stairmaster etc)
    2 swimming sessions a week
    2 rest days

Running sessions I'd have:
    1 Slower Trail run day for mileage
    1 BFT run through
    1 Hill sprint/sprint circuit day

Trained twice a day for a lot of it (obviously I built up to it to avoid injury) so I could fit in rest days. Towards the last month of training, my slow trail run and my hill sprint sessions merged into one long hard session which was fun. Swimming was also a god send too; front crawl sprints and then breaststroke for recovery works wonders.

I hit tons of leg endurance too on the stairmaster and perhaps 200 squats each gym session with lunges inbetween sets. Leg endurance is a huge part of the second day so smash those out.

This was very specific for my strengths and weaknesses so it might not work for everyone, but did pretty well for me!

6. Kiwinfantry

Kiwinfantry New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    What were you doing at the gym to improve on press ups?

7. fine

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I used a bunch of different methods in my gym sessions. One week i'd do the press up test every day for the week, then one other week i'd do three sessions but a lot more reps. A 'harder' session would be a drop set and look something like:

Decline press ups to failure
    Marine press ups to failure
    Knee press ups to failure
    Front support place until failure

Each one performed straight after the other, with a rest at the end. Repeat 3-5 times and then i'd have a few days rest. Did similar drop set routines for pull ups too (still do them both in prep for RT)

Make sure you have a good strong technique too. It's really hard to explain in text without showing it, but you need to brace and stabilize your shoulder girdle so you use more muscles around the chest/triceps and bring in the lats too. My physio explained it to me as 'Think about pushing the floor away from you, instead of you pushing yourself away from the floor' similar ideology when you squat.

There isn't really any 'secret' way of getting better gym tests other than just keep doing them consistently and grease the groove.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  8. Cookiemum

Cookiemum Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Well done on passing your PRMC @StrSam and good luck with your RT. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Do they thrash the $H1T out of you prior to each test? On a scale of 3 to 17 how brutal are the warm ups?

10. fine

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thank you very much! :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. fine

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    No the warm ups are as warm ups should be. Afterwards you'll be sweaty and breathing slightly hard, but you'll be ready to go. Nothing that will negatively effect your performance or anything to worry about, trust me!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

Anything you would’ve done differently in your prep?

13. fine

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Honestly? Not really. The Carries were super hard so maybe some extra lunging with higher weights, but as long as you're still smashing out leg endurance and breathing heavy in most workouts, you should be grand. What are you most worried about?

14. Harry McRunFast

Yeah I’ve seen a lot about the carries and such.

I believe I’m putting in good prep work, lots of running and leg endurance work. Not necessarily heavy weight, 30kg sand bags and such, but lots of reps, building up the tolerance!

The determination test sounds like a good wholesome bit of fun -nailbiting-... but aside from that, I’ll just have to wait and see!

The only thing one can do is do everything with a full heart and bags of enthusiasm. After all, it’s not about being the fastest, it’s about not giving up!

15. fine

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah mate you sound like you'll be alright. Just keep those gym scores above average and dont stop on the endurance course or bottom field. It goes super quickly!

16. Harry McRunFast

@StrSam

How was it wearing boots and doing phys?

Had you done it before?

17. fine

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Never worn any boot before in my life, but I didnt even notice wearing them weirdly. I Thought they'd feel like bricks, but they were super comfy and I felt really stable running about in Woodbury common and that was with all the water in them too!

18. Harry McRunFast

@StrSam

Interesting, I suppose they are purpose mad for exercising, not just a pair of ordinary hiking boots!

I’ve heard that there’s 2 different types of boots available. Is this true? Also heard you should pick one over the other... Can you clarify mate?

19. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I understand that Haix and Altberg might be two of the available brands. If you put the two names into the search box you'll find a fair amount of debate about them.

Pick the boots which best fit you, regardless of brand.

• Like Like x 1
  20. fine

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah they're not as bad as people make out, But I did get super lucky and get the perfect size first time.
    For prmc you get the brown (haix?) Boots that are old and rough but you just get on with them. You dont get a choice of different style of boots, just the size.
    After prmc, you dont get issued a pair of boots anymore.
    That's all I know for certain.

Now I assume they dont issue them because the haix ones are only worn around the camp so dont really need to be worn in much? And then you also get altbergs which you do your training in and are comfier supposedly. Dont quote me on that bit though!!