Any questions fire away

Clumsy

Reaction score
Very well done!

I start in a few weeks. Quick question regarding kit. The list said bring training shoes but I was told we are issued trainers! Do I still need to bring training shoes?

corvus

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Very well done!

I start in a few weeks. Quick question regarding kit. The list said bring training shoes but I was told we are issued trainers! Do I still need to bring training shoes?

Bring your own trainers as you will be wearing them during personal admin time/trips to the galley. Make sure they are clean and useable ie not ripped, muddy and with the soles hanging off.

@Ginglm well done mate.

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good effort!

Best part of training?
Worst part of training?
What were the first 3-4 week like in foundation?

Ginglm

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You'll be issued trainers mate but you'll use them for the gym and your dry rig on exercise, you'll need at least one pair of civvy trainers (you sometimes run along the lanes in them) but I'd recommend bringing two pairs so you have a pair to hang around in the grot with/go to the naafi in
Very well done!

d

Ginglm

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Good effort!

Best part of training?
Worst part of training?
What were the first 3-4 week like in foundation?
For me the best part of training was either the trips away (Normandy etc) or field firing. I couldn't really name a worst part of training, there'll be a lot of difficult times you just have to be resilient enough to stick with it.
I struggled massively with the first 3-4 weeks, you're in an alien environment with very little downtime and it's pretty much all about admin, my advice if you decide you don't like training when you get to foundation is to stick with it because that's not what training is really like, don't see yourself off, get to phase two and see what training is really about because it changes massively

Ginglm

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Great effort,

Were you injured much through RT?
I managed to make it throughout training in one without an injury that required me to be backtrooped, you'll have niggles and pains the majority of training, especially tendonitis in the arms from rope climbing, by the end of training your body is pretty exhausted and most lads are carrying minor injuries, a lot of it is down to luck unfortunately, the nature of the training is that lads do get injured, you just have to stick with it, lads pass out after being in hunter for months or even over a year so it's really about how patient and determined you can remain if you do get a setback

Clumsy

Reaction score
You'll be issued trainers mate but you'll use them for the gym and your dry rig on exercise, you'll need at least one pair of civvy trainers (you sometimes run along the lanes in them) but I'd recommend bringing two pairs so you have a pair to hang around in the grot with/go to the naafi in

d
Cheers! Good luck at your unit