Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Any questions for a Cpl on a training team?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Royal2010, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Royal2010

Royal2010 Commando Training Wing Instructor

I have been lucky to have been involved in different operations which have seen me sent to East Africa and Afghanistan.
    My best years have pretty much been the last 3/4 years I have been a Cpl which has seen me be a section commander/weapons instructor / Team leader on ship at M-Coy 42 CDO. The last year being down here on a team has also been a massive highlight and I am very much looking forward to KSPO.

When I first passed out I was proud as punch. I ended up, however, going to 43 Cdo and felt like a glorified security guard. From there pinged for sigs (a really bad start to being a commando :D). Some jobs are rubbish but I've also had some great jobs. It's all about taking the rough with the smooth. I was thinking about handing my chit in fairly soon a couple of years back but this draft has re-envigorated and I have found what I love to do (coach) and applying for a branch transfer into the DL branch. "Tup 3"

• Like Like x 9
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando

Just to add my 2p worth. As with every job, satisfaction can vary from time to time. However in RM, you'll constantly be surrounded by people who are pushing to be better and there is also alot of pride attached to being Royal. That is a really good environment to work in. There is so many people to learn from and everyone should be a sponge in terms of wanting to absorb all that knowledge.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Yes, this is a big draw for me!

@Royal2010

Certainly sounds like you’ve done a lot!
    Thanks for taking the time out to answer some Q’s!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Royal2010

You are very welcome. If you have any more feel free to post or pm me and I will endeavour to get back to you. Best of luck with your training. WORK HARD!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

@Royal2010 can I take time out to thank you for coming back to contribute to the forum. Unfortunately we have had a few TT members on here who have treated everyone as though they were Nods in Foundation, so it's good to see someone coming back and passing on some good tips and an insight into their career.

10 years in? So I guess that a Seniors is on the horizon in the near future? But a Walking Instructor, seriously? :):):)

Joking aside, my old DL went onto become the First Drill at CTC and I had the pleasure of meeting up with him some years ago for a few pints when I reminded him of where he threatened to shove his pace stick in me!

Please stick around and carry on the good work!

Alan

• Like Like x 13
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  6. Royal2010

No worries mate. As you can see from the date I joined this site it was a long long time ago. I used this site as much as possible for my own training back then (unfortunately I had to merge my two accounts so a lot of my original posts were lost) so it feels only natural to come full circle and put back in and advise.

Haha well, with me changing branches I will probably have to stick at being a CPL for a few more years, but I don't mind too much about that. I've always chased the interesting job rather than promotion.

I certainly will do my best to stick around a bit more!

• Like Like x 15
  7. MVP29

MVP29 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thank you @Royal2010 for sharing. As a parent of a nod currently at CTC I found this thread very comforting to read. I don’t have any questions for you yet, but I know where to come now when I do! Thanks again.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

@Royal2010

It is absolutely fantastic to have you contributing to the forum. Undoubtedly it will help countless users. Great effort and cheers!

Claim your beer tokens from @Ninja_Stoker

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    What fitness component generally improves the most over the course of recruit training?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Royal2010

Pretty much a bit of everything. You see cardio slowly improving when on runs and finally when in it comes into the commando phase. You get used to running with weight and you definitely notice an improvement with that. Strength is also improved, again with weight .

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  11. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Totally agree with that. You get to the stage whereby the weight of a fighting order, (or whatever it's called now) plus a weapon becomes second nature. When you can haul your own bodyweight, plus equipment and weapon up a 30ft rope after completing a full bottom field session is nothing short of impressive, especially when compared to the first attempts in the gym.

Alan

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  12. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Valuable Contributor

Great to have a current TT Cpl on here, superb threads that are so valuable to current and future nods who use this site, no doubt you will be inundated with Q’s from P & P’s who have loved ones going through RT.
    Just a quick Q from me if you don’t mind.
    When you were posted to 43 Cdo after RT, we’re you concerned about soldiering skills being eroded? If so did you go to though a refresher program when subsequently landing at a “fighting unit”
    My son is at 43 and is concerned about this.
    Thanks mate.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Royal2010

Good question.

To be honest I didn't worry. My state of mind was "I will get better, I will get better". After doing a stint 'behind the wire' we had a couple of weeks off then went into a 2 week live-fire package. The rotation at the time lent itself to going behind the wire, leave, return and do some 'green skills'. If anything I was annoyed that I wasn't being used to my full potential and seeing my mates all train up for Herrick 14.
    Even 'behind the wire' we did training when we could and it gave us time to revise our military knowledge, write lectures and present them. So there is always work to be done and skills to be learnt. Mindset is key. I hope your son makes the most of his time up there! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  14. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Valuable Contributor

Thanks mate,
    Much appreciated :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Harry McRunFast

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi all,

Not to get too far ahead of myself, but just so I have an idea... I understand there are incremental pay increases. How does this work? Is it based on time served in the corps, courses completed etc?

Thanks!

16. Royal2010

Yeah.

Your pay increment is based on your seniority. Not 100% sure but I think it may be set on your pass out date at first (or when you joined? Not sure, Ninja will know)

Every year you go up one increment. I believe you need to be a LCPL to achieve the levels 8 or 9.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  17. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Or to put it another way perhaps:

"It's the thinking man's service; not the over-thinking man's service!" :)

• Nailed It Nailed It x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Royal2010

:D I like that!

Yeah, don't worry about the pay. I'm the most ignorant when it comes to pay, I didn't join up for the money!

• Like Like x 1
  19. DeesMum

DeesMum Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    So you get more money for appearing on a TV talent show....

I'll get my coat.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

I'll go against the grain here and say pay can be a mitigating factor as to whether or not someone can even afford to join the Corps'.

It's a good idea to at least know what you'll be starting on for your initial few years, especially if you aren't a 16 year old with zero real world commitments.

• Like Like x 6