Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Any questions

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by SCOTTY6, Sep 2, 2019.

1. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

hey everyone, passed out at the end of last year so still a turbo sprog, but any questions about anything, training, life after pass out, fire away!

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  2. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    When do you start paying into a pension?

Edit: Congrats on passing out

• Like Like x 1
  3. boogey96

boogey96 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Congrats on getting the lid pal.

How do you find it being a sprog and a bit older on the unit?

How many lads have came through since you?

Did you ask for 43/45 as they’re closer to home and did you get your preference? Is it easier to get 45 as a first preference as they’re on the good side of the border but far away from home for many of the English lads ;)

Cheers

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Congratulations and thanks for offering others the benefit of your experience.

I am simultaneously impressed and astonished by a question demonstrating such foresight. :)
    Service pensions aren't as 'golden' as they once were but they are still better than many civilian pensions.

5. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Every time I see my AFCO i forget to ask how the pension system works so if anyone could clear up the following:

1. When are you able to start paying in.

2. Can you opt to put more in than is usually deducted.

3.How does it work transferring an existing pension to one of the Armed Forces?

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Top questions. I can't answer them but @The guide or @CHUB! might post a link to the appropriate information if they spot this.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
  8. SCOTTY6

Cheers all. As for the pension questions I’m really not sure, but I don’t think you can opt to pay more. I may stand corrected but i don’t know for sure.

Being sprog at a unit is fine, yeah you get some rubbish details and do all the sprog jobs but it’s not bad at all, your initial few runs ashore will be interesting too. As for being older it didn’t really make a difference much the same as it does in training.

Quite a lot of lads have come through since I joined, maybe 9 or 10, it’s quite a quick turn around up here.

Yeah I chose to go north of the wall as it’s where I’m from etc. But I think it depends, you generally go where the corps needs you. If lead commando needs men then most lads will go there etc.

9. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

@BillyTheKid armed forces pensions are non-contributory. Beyond that, I am clueless.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

There are very few people who are able to stay in the military until they actually retire. The majority will find themselves looking at another career after serving. Even those who serve for 22 years will still be in their forties when they return to civvy street. It is very easy nowadays to transfer a pension pot to a new employer, especially if you stay in public service.

I'm not sure about transferring from a civvy pot to a public one. My guess is that a civvy pot will remain stand alone until you reach retirement age and then you will add it to your service one, unless it is in public service.

I know of several guys who have a multitude of pensions from different employers, which when added together provide a comfortable income.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  11. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

We get a pension!?!?

All I got was a bag of magic beans on exit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  12. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Cheers for the info lads

13. JWR94

JWR94 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi, I was wondering how regularly do you go on runs/speed marches in RT? Are you running everyday or do you do different types of phys on different days? Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Most days. Everything at CTC is done at a fast pace. You will be expected to double everywhere and apart from the gym and bottom field, there are camp circuits, plus corrective phys sessions from the TTs.

In short you need to be able to run at a fairly decent pace before joining. That's why you have PJFT and PRMC. If you can pass those two then you will be ready to start RT fitness wise. What you then have to do is get your mind in the right place to ensure that you are mentally prepared for the rigours of RT.

Good luck

Alan

• Like Like x 5
  15. SCOTTY6

In addition to Alan’s comment, weeks 1-9 are gym phase so you will be put through the joys of IMF most days when you’re on camp, there is also a fair bit of pool sessions which can be just as challenging. Along with this any extra phys the training team deem necessary for obvious reasons. The gym phase is to work your fitness up and prepare you for the bottom field and other tests such as speed marching. The first criteria speed March is in week 14 when you do a 4 miler for baptist run but you will have had test runs before that.

• Like Like x 4
  16. JWR94

JWR94 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Grimey Arches

Grimey Arches Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    No questions, just congratulations on passing out.

• Like Like x 1