Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Any Quezzies, Fire away

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Welshy, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Maths1

Maths1 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Agree with anon1234, really useful, thanks for that.

2. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi mate cheers for making this- I've a few questions..

1: Is the sniper course an SQ?

2: Do you know the sight requirements (If any?) for it?

3: What SQ's involve the most green stuff? i.e Bushcraft, survival/ SERE, camo and jungle?

4: Do you get a drivers liscence done through the marines without driving as an SQ?

5: Is it true that if you voluntarily ping, you're fast tracked for your choses SQ?

6: Is there an amount of time someone is expected to have served before applying for SBS? (Maybe a naive question but I'm looking into as many paths as I can and that's always been a massive interest for me).

Any help would be much appreciated.

3. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

1) yes it’s called PW(S)

2) don’t believe there is a sight requirement

3) I would say for pure “green soldiering” and the things you have stated it would be Mountain Leader.

4) yes that’s true I have all licenses or C&E and tracks

5) if you ping yourself you may get preference on draft location but you still have to serve your 2yrs DSS

6) You have to have served for 18months before applying for UKSF, however @TheRubberDagger can probably clarify

@Welshy sorry I hijacked your thread Royal :D

• Seen Seen x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. Welshy

Welshy Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

No dramas mate
    I didn’t see the notification on my emails till you replied so sorry @ConnorManc
    He’s bang on mate so just refer to his reply above

Yeah PW3 (s) except you have to do an acquaint for the course so even if you’re names on the first place on the list it doesn’t mean you’re going to be a sniper that’s why you have to do the acquaint

If you’re wanting to do some good soldiering I’ve heard SFSG is a good draft (if you can get it) that’s what I’d like to try like

The craic with Ping (in theory) is that you volunteer and or get pinged for a spec and then you clarify its with DSS rights and have your job you want loaded onto your JPA properly, and theoretically after you’ve served that 24 month you should be able to use that DSS right to be moved to the top of the list for your chosen spec

And on UKSF yeah you’re best off asking @TheRubberDagger

• Seen Seen x 1
  5. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

@ConnorManc

We ask for a minimum 24 month service history. This excludes Phase 1 (initial) and Phase 2 (employment).

We are tri service and accept applications from throughout HM Forces. There is no longer a requirement to limit recruitment to RM/RMR ranks.

SBS(R) is based in the South of England but recruits nationwide.

Successful candidates will need to display a high degree of commitment and fitness as the majority of the selection process is conducted to regular standard alongside the regular component.

Official enquiries are by MOD email only, ideally through your Chain of Command.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 3
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Every day'a a school day, I didn't realise that.

Would a non-infantry trained personnel (RNR, AR or RN regular, for example) be required to undertake RFCC or AACC for SBS(R), much the same as RN personnel undergoing selection must undertake AACC prior to SBS selection?

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    But again, what do you expect from lads, they can’t blow off steam on camp, so they go ashore, and with rowdy civvies egging each other on etc.
    Difference is, the local plumber Joe Bloggs, no one cares about, he’s not going to get charged and hauled in front of the press for bringing “Arbroath Crappers” into disrepute.

Lads need a vent and a place to blow off steam, closing company bars, stomping out morale and treating the lads like crap and glaring other problems, and then the Corps and the military wonder why they are having retention problems.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. corvus

corvus Member

e4022b00f87dc579f71566e2a1625cf7ee96be51e58348c52447a4c064c4eddd.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Rover

Rover Moderator

Note highlights.
    UKSF having been tri-service now for a number of years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

Concisely,
    No, there is no requirement for regular transfers/ ex regulars with appropriate experience (this is assessed by recruitment cell) to undertake AACC or RFCC prior to application.

I’ll not mislead anyone- the truth is that the large majority of ranks are Cdo trained.

I can however, think of four non cdo bods from British Army infantry backgrounds who are now serving in the Sqn.

For any ex regulars from outside of the cdo elements the advice would be to call the recruitment cell.

They will be able to give guidance and advise on the next presentation weekend. We want good eggs with appropriate experience to join so we won't chin you off. It’s always worth a chat.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rover

Rover Moderator

Re; company bars.

CO's rounds 42Cdo a few years ago.
    Trp Sgt checking prior to the main visit. Two Marines in a four man grot, lockers open for inspection yet one of the spare lockers padlocked. Locker opened to find it toppers with beer and spirits.o_O-banghead--banghead-
    Two occupants given the choice of the Sgts punishment or face the CO and a possible Courts Marshall! :confused:

CO,Adjutant, RSM et al enter the room. Sgt with his back to the now re secured locker reports the room ready for inspection. CO happy although a few questioning looks from the RSM.:cool:

Later the Sgt was called to the Company 2i/c and asked about room as the RSM was curious.o_O

Situation explained and it was noted that the Sgts punishment had been accepted.:(;)

Company parade that afternoon and the Company 2i/c announced that Mnes X and Y had generously provided all the drinks for the next Company party.:):);):cool:

Somehow I doubt such a thing would happen these days.
    Then again both the Company 2i/c and the SNCO were both SBS.;)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 1