Any tips on improving my 1.5m time?

brownie123

Reaction score
Sorry if its been posted but can't see it anywhere so here goes.

I ran 1.5 mile this morning and timed it, its a pretty bad time i have got SHINSPLINTS at the min, well at least i think i have. Its a constant pain like my shinbone is going to snap, like pressure constantly on my shin. BUT im not going to use it as an excuse.

Ran On : A Field
Ran In : A Hat, Tracksuit Bottoms, 2 T-Shirts, Coat.
Weather: Snowstorm [*text deleted*]

My time was 9:58, i think thats pretty bad! Anyone got any tips on improving the 1.5 time? I run for the first 200 metres, near sprint it then i slow my pace down to a fast run till im around a mile in then by then im exhausted. Now i don't know why because i can run 4miles easily but its when im timing myself or im running 1mile or 1.5mile i seem to underperform.

Any help appreciated, thanks all!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you've got shin-splints stop running & do non-impact CV. They won't get better otherwise and you need to get rid of them completely.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
woops. I never read this before I replied to your PM. If you feel an injury coming on mate, stop running, get to a quack or a physio pronto and get it treated. Swim, swim and swim in place of the running. I wanted to do my PRMC in October but never got an injury (from August) seen to, then 6 months later and an MRI scan I found out what it was. Im 6 months behind where I should be.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Still a good time considering you were on a wet, muddy field during a snowstorm while in pain *text deleted*

Definitely get it checked out mate

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
A little tip when you do get back to full fitness (- the shin splints) Is i found best when i was diver training was to apply HIIT (High Intensity Training)

Do this on a treadmill to start off, 1 min walk, 1 min sprint, 1 min jog high incline, 1 min sprint, 1 min jog, u get the drift

Appy patterns in 1 minute variations, Always found this method i did once a week on my runs helped alot, And hey mile n half under 10 mins is a respectable time pal,