Anyone had any luck with compression gear?

Ballista

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I had a quick search on the forum earlier and saw a couple of threads about leggings to keep your legs warm but couldn't see much about actual compression gear for shin splints.

I've had shin splints for a couple of months now and although they've got steadily better they're still lingering on and I thought it might be worth investing in some decent compression leggings to help with the recovery. Anyone used them? And if so were they worthwhile?

Motivated

Reaction score
For information about compression gear, you'd probably be best off googling the topic and find a more definitive answer from a sports rep or personal trainer. I'm sure that the products will describe some of the benefits with their description. I've tried Nike compression socks and although i didnt have any noticeable effects, I'm sure it did something haha.

C

C

I've mentioned on another thread I've had some significant success using compression socks from CEP, I've never used compression socks before these but I have had compression tights from other brands and these have felt much better. The company has background of making medical compression garments for decades and you can tell, I'm sure some other may have other suggestions too.

BubbleBert

Reaction score
My missus got me a pair of surgical stockings from work, I use them after road runs and find that my calfs don't get as tight as what they are without using them.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I had a quick search on the forum earlier and saw a couple of threads about leggings to keep your legs warm but couldn't see much about actual compression gear for shin splints.

I've had shin splints for a couple of months now and although they've got steadily better they're still lingering on and I thought it might be worth investing in some decent compression leggings to help with the recovery. Anyone used them? And if so were they worthwhile?

Scientifically theres no evidence that it works, but I will admit, it does seem to help my calves when I run on roads. Maybe its placebo? No harm in trying it though mate.

Ballista

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've read the theory seems to be that it reduces the impact on your muscles/bones when you strike the ground and speeds up the blood flow in the affected muscle to disperse lactic acid quicker and to get more oxygen flowing through the affected part.

It may well be a placebo but a decent pair is only £20 or so, so I may as well give them a whirl. Thanks for the advice all.