Anyone recommend a good book?

amb03

Reaction score
Alright lads, can anyone recommend any decent paperbacks to read over the Christmas hols for when im not out training but bored of family and Christmas tv. Anything to do with the military along the lines of Bravo Two Zero, etc. Cheers.

ICTTech

Reaction score
snipe one or the commando book about the TV program

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If it's RM books you're after have a look at these:

The Making of a Royal Marines Commando - Nigel Foster
Amongst the Marines - STeven Preece

The Royal Marines - From Sea Soldiers to a Special Force - Julian Thompson

The last one is a bit heavy going, but it gives you a complete history of the RMs in depth and will give you all you need to know for your interviews. I'd recommend the top two if you're wanting some guidance on what life is like in the marines and like a good bit of British humour!

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Sequel

Guys, for those of you who have read my first book, I hope you find the time to read my second one 'Always A Marine' as it concludes my story. I did leave the door open at the end of the first one. The second one starts where the first one finishes and concludes in 2003. Its funny looking back now as I had no intentions of writing a sequal.

A friend of mine actually said to me: "You've covered some serious ground in the past 13.5 years Steve." "Why don't you also share these experiences with others?"

So I did.

Anyway: For those who have read both of my books, I have written a novel and am now searching for a new publisher as my current publisher only publishes non fiction. This is a long and arduous task as publishers take months and months to get back to you. I'll get there eventually though.

All the very best

Steve

Roddie

Reaction score
"Memoirs of an infantry officer" by Singfried Sassoon (i think)
thats a good'un. Basically a world war 1 officer diary.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Steve any idea on how I could pick up your book ?. I went to a book store here, one of Canadas biggest and no luck. Guess I could order it, but it's expensive with the exchange rate and so fourth

I ordered Commando- the one by Chris Terril from the UK regardless, and just finished reading it. Smashing book. Makes me want to get in there so much more. He puts a lot of emphasis on bottom field though. That 30 foot rope climb outside is going to kick my ass, I know it.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score

robigunner88

Reaction score
They Stood in the Door

It is about a made up battlion in the Parachute regiment, but the auther (who is a former para) has collected many stories from the regiment and put them into the book to make one big story.
The first few chapters as they go through training is fanastic

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Good Book

I guess its off topic but I enjoyed reading this:

"A Few Kind Words and a Loaded Gun" by Razor Smith.

This was a good erad I thought.

Anybody else read it?

Cheers
Steve

mikewebb

Reaction score
Chris Terrills Commando is a cracking book id recommend it to everyone.

anyone read nigel fosters making of a commando??
whats it like?? reviews as such.

anyway check out my profile

l8az

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just finished reading Sniper One by Sgt Dan mills from PWRR about the seige of Cimic house in Al amarah in southern Iraq April 2004.

Cracking read guys, if you're looking for new reading material definately check it out!

Just got 2 new books as well - In foreign fields by Dan Collins & Eight Lives down by Chris Hunter. they shold keep me entertain for a bit :wink:

Gaz the "Taff"

Reaction score
BEST BOOK EVER!! GAVE ME SO MUCH INSPIRATION! I LOST 9 1/2 STONE AND GOT FIT ENOUGH FOR THE FORCES BECAUSE OF THIS BOOK!

MIKE CURTIS- C.Q.B

Mike Curtis, a former coal miner and likely Welsh rugby international, served with 2 Para in the Falklands before going on to join the SAS. In this book Curtis, describes his gruelling experiences in the Falklands and some of his SAS operations. Curtis talks about Goose Green, the first land battle of the Falklands conflict. The outcome there was to set the tone for the remainder of the war, affect international opinion, and morale and determination of both armies. The first of his SAS operations that Curtis details took place in Iraq where he spent several weeks behind enemy lines. The second, in Bosnia, Curtis found himself working closely with all factions and leading a protection team guarding visiting heads of state. AND THATS ONLY THE START OF THINGS!!!

Legend of a bloke, and he doesnt live too far from me :P

*DAMIEN LEWIS -BLOODY HEROES (A BLOODY GOOD BOOK ABOUT THE FROG SQUAD "SBS" IN AFGHANISTAN! GET IT, ITS HOOFING :P )
*John Geddes-Highway to hell was brilliant
*Richard Van Emden-Britains last Tommies of WW1 (the most moving book ive ever read, never cryed reading before :*text deleted*: pussy *text deleted*)
*Patrick Bishop-Fighter Boys
*James Holland- HEROES /We stand together (brilliant WW2 books)
*Jeff Thompson- Watch My back
*Rick Broadbent -The Big If (love my boxing, this was a good'un)
*Don Winslow- Power of the Dog (makes Scarface look like a Pussy)
*Philip Carlo- The Iceman (Brutal Mafia Hitman, real Nasty Bastard)
*Dan Mills-sniper One (everyone loves this *text deleted*)
*Andy Mcnab-Immediate Action (C'mon got to love this one :D )

as you can tell, i like my books *text deleted* i dont watch alot of TV, i train all day then have a good read at night :P Sound like a *text deleted*ing Nerd now *text deleted*

noble

Reaction score
Making a Killing - James Ashcroft ; a diary of a former British Army officer working for a PMC in Iraq. (the same James Ashcroft [voiced by Gerard Butler] featured in the documentary, shadow company)

The Boys from Baghdad, from the French Foreign Legion to the Killing Fields of Iraq - Simon Low ; another diary by a British army solider, who served 2 contracts in the legion and then also went to work for a PMC in Iraq.

Essence of Ninjutsu, The Nine Traditions - Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi ; a great book discussing the various aspects of ninpo.

noble

Reaction score
Chris Terrills Commando is a cracking book id recommend it to everyone.

anyone read nigel fosters making of a commando??
whats it like?? reviews as such.

anyway check out my profile

l8az
sorry for the double post, but I've read Nigel Foster's The Making of a Royal Marines Commando, and really enjoyed it, and you can pick up a copy dirt cheap on used&new at amazon, probably for less than a quid.

Gaz the "Taff"

Reaction score
*text deleted* i got a reall really really old copy of Nigel Fosters book, its the larger version with tonnes of pictures..some of the recruits are doing their full regain test with Lee Enfields Rifles *text deleted* theres a bit where it talks about M&AWC and SBS and some of the lads on there look proper hard bastards *text deleted* naturally equipped with a Hoofing great big 70's Moustache *text deleted*

I read Bill Hicks biography the other day and *text deleted**text deleted*ing loved it.

Sorry lads but... being that theres Rugby on today and im Fiercley proud to be Welsh...

"Coooooooooooooooooooooooome OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON LAAAAAAAAAAAADS!"

sorry my English Chappies *text deleted*

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hahahahhaha we are ripping u apart laddy,

bought steves book a week ago from amazon and the barstards still havnt delivered it :( i was looking forward to it

hey i know im off topic so im *text deleted* put some input!

good autobiography by mike jackson who was CHIEF OF GENREAL STAFF in the parachute reg
served with 2 para in ulster pretty awesome read gives a good insight, i DEFINATELY recommend to POC's as its a good military history following a officer through training e.t.c but shame he wasnt a commando. i rate it

9 out of 10 because he wasn't a marine :D

pick it up its good

steve *text deleted* book best be worth the wait !! :P

Gaz the "Taff"

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA GREAT ROLLOVER IS UNDERSTATEMENT HAHAHAHAHAHA
*text deleted* nah, good game mate. YOU WERE BEATEN BY A CLUB TEAM ROFL hehehehehe

I baught (please dont hiss and boo,im Marines through and through :P) a book called 3PARA about their tour out in Ghanners. *text deleted**text deleted*ing brilliant stuff. I fancied reading that Mike Jackson book but i got Ranulph Fiennes Bio instead...

*text deleted**text deleted* he's a hard bloke, i never knew he did a stint in the SAS *text deleted* pissed myself laughing at how he was kicked out *text deleted*