Anyone run the 3 mile in under 8.30 ?

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I cannot seem to get my 3 mile time, the return mile and a half that is, down to sub 9 minutes.

On the prmc i was very close to getting under 9 minutes but the crowd at the start slowed me right down.

Anyone who can run 1.5 in under 8.30 is a geniuous! It's like algebra, hard to work out how it's possible!

What type of training is best for these runs? Sprints or long distances? Or both.

Thanks

Daz-PRMC

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
400m and 800m intervals over the space of 2-3 months could see this as a possibilty mate, you're not that far off as you've said so work out where you're slowest during the run

For example, say you're fine for 800m and then slow down for 800m before picking back up at the end

Do intervals that that work like 800m normal pace, rest, all out sprint 800m (or 2x 400m), rest, then 800m normal pace again

Over the weeks cut down the rest time until it is gone and hey presto, faster 1.5 miler times

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I got 8.59 on my PRMC and then 7.59 on the first fitness assement in RT.

I just did normal running, varying distances 3 miles to 8 miles about 3-4 times a week but I'd say the key thing is it's always best effort, not relaxed.

I just kept on improving my times.

To prove doing that works, on my RMAD I got 11.6 on the bleep test, on my PRMC I got 12.6 and then on the RMFA on PRMC, I got 13.7, so just keep running, add in some HIIT/sprinting(you do quite a lot of short distance running) and you'll be on your way.

I was in the top 5 runners in my troop *text deleted*, So if you just run balls to the wall everytime, you'll get there.

GL.

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
i got 8.29 on my prmc for the econd half of the 3 miler. Its still the quickest ive done to date. I put it down to 2 things. I religiously ran a hard 3 mile run 4 -5 times a week, the 2nd half of this run being completly uphill, so when it came to prmc i not only found the run a piece of piss but it only felt like 2 miles aswell.

Also dont forget the adrenaline you will have on the day. I was confident i would pass my prmc so i set my goal on being the best. I came 4th out of the 60 when it came to the 3 miler!! Put maximum effort in because it does get noticed.

Joe B

Reaction score
yo, on my PJFT i did it in 7.34, i do not no how *text deleted* i just started on level 19 then whacked it up to 20..and on my prmc i did it in 8.15 which is my PB for the 1.5 miler on road..i normally get 9 mins or just under but like said above the adrenaline got me.

the best advice i can give is to just run run and run. i wanted to join since i was in like year 9 and was so eager i started training way back then *text deleted* and have mainly done runs that are between 5-9 miles and occasionally do a 3 miler to see if im still doing alright..i did it on tuesday and did 3 miles in about 17.55. so just keep at it and it will come.

Joe

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys.

Running is something I don't really enjoy so much, but when I've completed a run I really feel good about myself.

I really want to be running it in under 8.30 but I can't see it somehow. One ex Marine told me a good time to get is under 8 minutes but no one on our PRMC got that.

I'm probably a minute slower than I want to be, even though I was only a few seconds from sub 9 minutes on my PRMC but that's different, their route is no way 1.5 miles long!

pain is glory

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
when you say no where near 1.5 miles what do you mean longer or shorter and how did you get on with your prmc scores,advice etc.

pain is glory.

Gixer600Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I do 3.3 miles in 18:46, so i dont know what my real 3 mile time is! Less than 8:30 id guess?

New Threads