Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Anyone up for some charity work? (http://www.justgiving.com/survival-of-the-fittest)

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Strick, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Strick

Strick Active Member

Right, I'm looking for a group of lads hell bent on becoming Royal Marines, that would be up for raising a bit of money for charity.

I read a thread on here about Survival of the Fittest, and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity. More info can be found here. The only date I'm able to do is the 3rd October at Cardiff, the day after I leave for Kilimanjaro.

The two charities in mind are...

Help for Heroes (the obvious)

or...

Royal Marines Benevolent Fund (http://www.justgiving.com/rmbf)

I thought it would be pretty good to get 10 or so of us lot together. Be nice to put names to faces. I can't go crazy on fundraising, as I'm pretty financially committed to Kilimanjaro. But if each of us could raise ?50, with ten people taking part, that's ?500 raised, and it all makes a difference.

Obviously you will have to cover your own costs, such as entry fee, and getting to and from Cardiff. But you can get some pretty cheap travel with megabus.com, and a travel lodge for the night doesn't cost the earth.

If anyones interested, give me a PM. It's early stages, and I'm just trying to see how much interest I get. If there's a good enough response, we'll get the interested guys signed up, and I have a Just Giving account that we can use to make a page up, and start pestering people for sponsorship.

Remember the Royal Marines ethos. Lets put it in to practice.

2. Phantom

Phantom Royal Marines Commando

Okay Strick, if you could recommend somewhere cheap to stay in Cardiff, I'm game.

3. lewis92avfc

lewis92avfc New Member

I'll be coming. sounds a good plan mate and I'm sure we'll get more than 10 of us aswell.

4. MattyFarr

MattyFarr Royal Marines Commando

I'm about to book my place soon so I'm up for it Strick!

5. Camz

Camz Member

Would do, but i doubt ill be fit enough by then, so ill just put my entry fee into a donation instead if you guys decide to do it.

6. Kentish

Kentish Active Member

As I've said Strick, I'm game, lot's of swimming involved in Cardiff though, best work on that.

Camz mate, be a boy, do it. What's your stats, roughly? I've literally JUST started running again, so I'm going to have to work for it, although I'll be training for POC also.

It may sound daunting, 10km, but this is 6.25 miles mate, well roughly.

7. Phantom

1 mile = 1.6 km :idea: So going by that, you're right (I think!)

It's looking good so far, a fair few up for it. But if we all do go, what wave are we starting at and are we getting into anything fancy for laughs? I did it in a morphsuit last year, I'll get a pic up :toung:

8. Phantom

Here's a few of myself and a friend, Edinburgh last year.

And yes, I happen to be wearing a St. George's flag... We decided it would go best considering I had a red morphsuit, but I have a lion rampant to wear this time!! :bigsmile:

Attached Files:

9. Kentish

Kentish Active Member

SD, you legend.

Morph suits are awesome, but you must have been sweating one out especially with it zipped up.

10. Strick

Strick Active Member

Well, every wave is available at the moment, except the first wave. Once we have the whole group together, I think we should decide on a wave. I'd personally prefer to go for a later wave. The reason being I think I will be staying in London on the Saturday, go to Cardiff on the Sunday, then get back to London Sunday night to leave for Kilimanjaro Monday morning. Well, that's the plan I've got floating about in my head.

11. toffee_colie

toffee_colie New Member

I'm game for this. I have a few questions though:

Does anyone know of anywhere to stay? Preferably cheap.

What wave would we be in?

Would we stay together as a team, or just crack on individually?

12. Kentish

Kentish Active Member

13. Strick

Strick Active Member

http://www.etaphotel.com/gb/home/index.shtml

Try phoning these guys for places to stay. I tried filling out an online form for bookings to get a price, but it wouldn't work for me. However, there's one near me that advertises for roughly ?40 a night, and there's one in Cardiff City Center.

I would prefer to go for a later wave, over earlier.

Team effort I reckon.

A question from myself... we need to think of a team name. This could potentially be the best part. :toung:

14. Strick

Strick Active Member

15. Kentish

Kentish Active Member

Just looked, came up at 39 GBP, accommodates 3 people. Could be good.

Team names....

16. Beds_A

Beds_A New Member

That gave me a chuckle, but yes, totally unrelated.

I'd be up for it, not sure my fitness would carry me and chances are i'd be a blubbering dribbling mess around the 3mile mark, but I'll have a deeper look into it all when I'm at home as I like the sound of this.

17. Beds_A

Beds_A New Member

Beds_A is King AND/OR God?

:dontaskme:

18. toffee_colie

toffee_colie New Member

I would prefer the later wave as well, and think the team effort would be the best thing to do.

My mind's gone blank trying to think of a team name, but I'm sure someone will come up with something!

Just found this hotel, seems cheap and good.

19. Strick

Strick Active Member

Maybe something a bit more 'We are potential Royal Marines, let's kick some civvy ass', as we get our ass's handed to us from all the running freaks that can do stupidly long distances in stupidly quick times. :unsure:

Right, I'm off to work. Anyone that is seriously interested, that I haven't PM'd, can you just give me a PM, so I can get all usernames jotted down, and we can start thinking about getting signed up.

20. Kentish

Kentish Active Member

"Where's the sheep?" I think that should raise some voices, especially in Welshland.

So what's the idea for staying there, travel up on saturday, run sunday, either come back sunday evening or stay again and leave monday?

If we find a room for like 4 people anyone interested in staying as a group?

Anyone who's interested, but hasn't decided yet, give this video a watch.
    http://www.mhsurvival.co.uk/page54.asp