Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Appealing Medical Rejection Advice? Give me your stories.

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Kingnate784, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Kingnate784

Kingnate784 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    So as anticipated my application has been refused, not for ADHD, I'm hoping that I'm all in the clear for that still being medication free for 6 years, but this time being prescribed antidepressants for low mood... So just to put this out there I don't rely on this medication and I'm simply taking it under the advice of my doctor, but i'm beginning to regret this decision as it is stopping me from joining, I'm fuming, probably going to go to my doctor tomorrow morning and tell ing them to stop all treatments and medication thats one of my options as it states in the the letter I need to be free of symptons and medication for at least a year, cool, well I'd rather not wait a year so I'm planning on appealing this in full force.

Just want some tips on the process of appealing if there are things I should be wary of mentioning or if I should just be open and honest and provide as much information as I can, what I should say in my appeal and how to get started, I KNOW I am more than capable to join the armedforces and know I would do well, just need to get these little BS hurdles getting in my way constantly.

So my options as I understand them are to either;
    1 Stop all medication and treatment for a year and then reapply.
    2 Appeal this decision.

My AFCO is like, "You should definitely appeal given your circumstances, The triage team is Capita and has nothing to do with the army, if the army has a chance to get involved and review your circumstances you should be able to join no problems" Sounds like BS to me but I dont have many choices here...

Leave your response below if you've been rejected for similar reasons and how long your appeal process took and if it had ever changed the result, would really love your thoughts on what the best course of action is in regards to appealing, would appreciate if you kept your personal feelings to yourself and kept it logical and fact based thanks guys!

Attached Files:

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. Clueless!

Clueless! New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I was prescribed anti depressants many many years ago (very good reason for it also) some word of advice. Don’t just stop them, it *text deleted*s you up. If you want to come off them, go a see your doctor for a review. Yeah you might not be able to join until a year free of it, but in that year of waiting, get your phys up, get all your important stuff in order for your next medical etc. You would fly through...

Also, my appeal took over 7 months, back and forth to the doctors for letters etc and my bmi was a little low ( I’m 5’11) so get your papers in order while you have the time! :)

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Firstly, pump the breaks. Breathe and think. Do not suddenly stop taking your SSRI’s (anti-depression meds’).

Stopping these type of meds abruptly may result in one or more of the following withdrawal symptoms: irritability, nausea, feeling dizzy, vomiting, nightmares, headache and most worryingly suicidal thoughts.

As much as you have ambitions you must apply a bit of maturity and accept that your health & mental wellbeing is much more important than any job.

Secondly, there is no point being angry and your GP. You took the brave step of asking for help with regards to your persistent low mood & a medical professional has opted to prescribe you medication. Please note that many conditions that are compatible with civilian employment which are considered incompatible with military service. You say you intend to “appeal this in full force” but what exactly are you appealing?

What I am getting at is the medical standards for entry to HM Forces are in place not only to safeguard the military but also to safeguard you and your wellbeing.

Remember- There may be a time in your military career, regardless of rank that your oppos may need rely upon you functioning at 100% in an operational environment, potentially under extreme duress. You owe it to them to be healthy and in a good mental space.

Statistically if an episode of low mood lasts longer than a couple of months and is regarded as a depressive episode there is a high chance of longer term problems and the military would be failing in their duty of care to you to place you in a situation where you would be under undue pressure- such as on operations.

Obviously your suitability can only be determined by the service medical professionals and as such definitive guidance can only be given by a qualified service doctor.

But if I was you I’d manage my expectations. At the very least consider the time required to be symptom and treatment free.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

My understanding is that you cannot appeal against the medical standard, I.e. anti depressants are a bar to entry. They are, and they are for a reason.

What you can appeal against is if you have been mis-diagnosed. That means you gathering evidence to support your appeal to prove that you have been wrongly diagnosed. Going into the Docs and saying stop my medication, I do not think will cut it. You still have the problem, but you’re not taking the meds for it. That doesn’t sound good.

Others on here are better qualified than me, but from a layman’s perspective, that’s how I see it.

Good luck

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kingnate784

Kingnate784 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted

I appreciate your concern for my wellbeing, and I'm really not trying to sound rude when I say this but I don't need life tips.

I made this thread to try and grasp a better understanding of the appeal process, anything other I'm not terribly interested in. To put things into perspective, I've not been on antidepressants for years on end, I started them this year and I had been on them for maybe a few weeks? I started them due to bereavement, didn't like them and decided to come off with little to no side effects, this idea that I am bound and reliant on antidepressants is hysterical and I can only assume this is the same impression the medical staff had receieved when I was rejected.

What am I appealing? I'm appealing my suitability for the role, I was turned away at the mention of SSRI's without any review of my medical records, it's BS. What happened to the thorough case by case inspection of every individual?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Right, if want to communicate with the big boy rules the military is famed for then I’m happy to do so.

You might not be wanting to come across rude, but you certainly are coming across very naive. No one was trying to “life coach” or give “life tips” to you. Instead I would suggest, they are attempting to manage your expectations as in my opinion you won’t be joining. At least not anytime soon.

With regards to your appeal. Are you a doctor? If not, your opinion is just that, and likely to be given the appropriate attention I’m afraid.

An appeal needs to address the reasons for declinature with reasons why you believe it to be incorrect, and supporting evidence. Evidence should come from a medical practitioner. You cannot appeal a standard because you do not like it.

It is not BS at all, it’s a standard. A standard that is in place to ensure the operational effectiveness of the armed forces.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  7. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

But you ask for advice and don’t like what you’re getting. Just to make this clear, you cannot appeal against a standard. The standard says that you must be clear of symptoms and meds for 12 months. Simply telling the Doc that you are not taking the meds anymore will not cut it. He may we’ll have a view on you coming off meds similar to @Johnny_Anonie and endorse your record accordingly.

Take the advice offered and start following the rules.

Once again, good luck!

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kingnate784

Kingnate784 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I have nothing personal against the both of you, and I apologise for the attitude, I have trained my ass off to meet the physical demands for the Army, simply to be told that you are unsuccessful. What? Because I spent a few weeks on Sertraline? Its absolute rubbish.

9. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

It’s not rubbish. In fact it makes perfect sense.

Cut the woe is me and what are you left with? Sulking because you don’t like a decision?

You need to accept that as it stands you are not eligible to join the military. This is no bodies fault.

If you want to appeal then do so .Follow the process that has been explained to you.

You need to provide real evidence (ie from a professional) that supports your position, and has not been seen by the military assessors before.

You could also use the search function and note that this type of question is asked several times per month and the exact same answer is given.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Kingnate784 I sympathise with your disappointment but the comments above contain very sound advice and are also made with goodwill.

This forum is very good at advising people on the best direction of travel to achieve their goal rather than simply telling people what they want to hear.

Realistically, appealing your diagnosis is likely to take a considerable time regardless of any other factors. Possibly longer than one year, with perhaps doubtful chances of success. Alternatively, you have a timeframe of one year clear of symptoms and meds which is possibly a more realistic target.

Consider making an appointment with your GP or medical practitioner to discuss your career aspirations and how you can manage your health and welfare and combine it with an application during the mandatory timeframe. This might be a good start.

Your stated age is twenty-six. A year flies past; particularly at my age, sadly. :(
    The world really is your lobster. Focus on the most effective way of achieving your goal. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  11. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    If it helps...
    I had surgery and had to wait 12 months after before I could reapply. Instead of being annoyed and wanting to rush the process, I used the time to get even fitter and learn new skills and it was the best decision I could've made.
    No rush mate. Learn and develop yourself even further in this time you now inevitably have to wait. You'll thank yourself for it

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rez

Rez New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'm in the process of appealing a medical rejection. They told me in the letter where the doctor needs to refer me to to get a test which will probably take half a year to a year. In the meantime I'm getting fitter and working.

13. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I would give anything to be in a position where I could rejoin the forces if I waited a year (or 10).

You haven’t been told you’re unsuccessful, you’ve been told you currently don’t meet the medical standards to join. It’s perhaps little consolidation to you, but there’s thousands of people who dedicated themselves to joining, from a early age, who’d give their worldly possessions to be in your shoes.

Always remember it’s never as bad as it seems, you have to wait a year? So what, use it to your advantage. A appeal could easily take 6 months regardless, it’s just an extra opportunity to get fitter, stronger, more capable and better prepared.

• Like Like x 3