Application pausing

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Can you pause your application process? As I’ve heard people mention “pausing” their apllication at any stage and I’m just checking what it means as I want to apply soon but I want a bit more time to train so I know when I go down there I can do it. And also I’m having a small break from running due to pain in left leg which I mention in an earlier post.

So basically is it as simple as it sounds? You can just pause your application and then restart it when you want if get and injury or you feel you aren’t ready for your approaching PRMC?

And how does it work?
Do you just email the Royal Navy and request to pause/continue your application?

And when you pause it and restart it can you carry on from where you left of or do you start again from the beginning?

Sorry for the length of this post I’m probably over complicating it I just wanted to get a good answer as I really *text deleted* get my application process going soon

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Can you pause your application process? As I’ve heard people mention “pausing” their apllication at any stage and I’m just checking what it means as I want to apply soon but I want a bit more time to train so I know when I go down there I can do it. And also I’m having a small break from running due to pain in left leg which I mention in an earlier post.

So basically is it as simple as it sounds? You can just pause your application and then restart it when you want if get and injury or you feel you aren’t ready for your approaching PRMC?

And how does it work?
Do you just email the Royal Navy and request to pause/continue your application?

And when you pause it and restart it can you carry on from where you left of or do you start again from the beginning?

Sorry for the length of this post I’m probably over complicating it I just wanted to get a good answer as I really *text deleted* get my application process going soon

If I was you I would just apply.

Don’t jump to far ahead of youself and think about the training side of things as there’s a lot in between you can fail on.

It took me 5 months to get to my 1st medical.

You *text deleted* pass the recruitment test , interview , medical , pjft all before the prmc so if you won’t be ready fitness wise in that amount of time then I’m not sure what else to suggest.

Saying that tho when you get to the PRMC stage yea you can defer it for few months if you wanted to as it lasts 12 months after passing the PJFT so you’ll have more than enough time to be ready for it if you don’t feel at that current time your prepared enough.
Let’s put it this way I’ll have my pjft now in 3/4 weeks time when I pass that I won’t get the next prmc available I’ll get one for mid January time.

When I applied I was 3 stone to heavy but was told to apply anyway as the application will take a while and that’s if it goes smoothly would take a lot longer if you have hiccups in between so go ahead and apply if you don’t feel ready come prmc can always ask for bit more time if your not ready.

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Aye as said above, you’ll have plenty of time to train and at some stage in your application there may be a delay (hopefully not). I waited 3 months for my first, failed that, another 2 months for my second, failed that, now I’m waiting to get an appointment to see a cardiologist which would put me back Feb/March time and then another month or so to get my third medical.

Best bet is to apply now and start smashing your fitness ASAP.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Can you pause your application process? As I’ve heard people mention “pausing” their apllication at any stage and I’m just checking what it means as I want to apply soon but I want a bit more time to train so I know when I go down there I can do it.

The phrase 'Get Fit to Apply' appears somewhere on the official RM recruitment website. Which is a hint that applicants should perhaps at least be close to the PRMC standard rather than just thinking about buying some running shoes. Perhaps something to discuss with your Careers Adviser?

A few lads on here have paused their applications often due to illness, injury or personal circumstances as their applications progressed. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that an applicant hitting such a snag should talk it over with his or her Careers Adviser out of courtesy and more importantly so that communication about intention is clear to all involved.

The person best placed to give you definitive advice on this matter is @Ninja_Stoker when he spots your post.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the advice guys. And *text deleted* I think I’m getting close to prmc standard I can get 30-35 press ups (need to improve these) 70 + sir ups and 9 pull ups. 1.5 mile return in 9:07 and can run consistently at level 12 pace for 4.5 miles and increasing. What u reckon?

robbo09

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the advice guys. And *text deleted* I think I’m getting close to prmc standard I can get 30-35 press ups (need to improve these) 70 + sir ups and 9 pull ups. 1.5 mile return in 9:07 and can run consistently at level 12 pace for 4.5 miles and increasing. What u reckon?

Sit ups and pull ups scores are decent so is the 1.5mile return. You’re press ups do need to improve. Just literally smash them out all over the place, don’t get too hung up to doing them to the beep all the time. Walk through a door way, get down and smash 10 out etc.
Not sure if you are doing but get running outside too as well as the treadmill for pjft as you’ll not touch one after you pass pjft... if you’ve passed pjft already get outside, some lovely cold weather coming up. Puts hairs on your chest... and it’s less boring than the dreadmill.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sit ups and pull ups scores are decent so is the 1.5mile return. You’re press ups do need to improve. Just literally smash them out all over the place, don’t get too hung up to doing them to the beep all the time. Walk through a door way, get down and smash 10 out etc.
Not sure if you are doing but get running outside too as well as the treadmill for pjft as you’ll not touch one after you pass pjft... if you’ve passed pjft already get outside, some lovely cold weather coming up. Puts hairs on your chest... and it’s less boring than the dreadmill.

Aye cheers mate I’m doing gainers for me press ups and that seems to be working well, 28-27-27 tomorrow. And *text deleted* you know what I think I will get outside once me leg feels better, im doing two PJFT mocks a week and two medium paced endurance runs per week for the bleep test, all on the treadmill. I think it’d be decent to get outside and do a BFT once a week to get used to outside running.

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Aye cheers mate I’m doing gainers for me press ups and that seems to be working well, 28-27-27 tomorrow. And *text deleted* you know what I think I will get outside once me leg feels better, I'm doing two PJFT mocks a week and two medium paced endurance runs per week for the bleep test, all on the treadmill. I think it’d be decent to get outside and do a BFT once a week to get used to outside running.

I’d get some longer endurance runs in your programme. Hills sprints as well, if you do them right they’ll work wonders on overall leg strength

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As @Chelonian observes, the idea is to meet us half way and at least demonstrate genuine intent by starting your fitness preps prior to applying

I get the idea of applying and hoping that you'll be motivated & enthused once the application is underway, the bottom line is that the boring, technical bit (getting fit) doesn't just happen. One of my more tiresome phrases is "don't kick the can down the street". In other words don't half-heartedly start an application with the intention of pausing for an indeterminate period, if you can help it.

Yes, you can withdraw your application at any stage, if needs be, in fact there's no obligation to join at any stage, but...you are far better saving that eventuality until it's absolutely necessary, rather than convenient. Getting fit is never convenient, we can always find reasons not to (myself included).

New Threads