Application times for marine or para

Dom2595

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
is the application process for the marines slower than what it would Be for the paras , and by application I mean from the start of your app till training. I had done interview for both and after the interview for paras he was trying to book me on the fitness assessment where as after the marines I had a long time to wait for my medical and what not. Just wondering if it would have still worked out much the same sort of times ? My app for the marines got put on hold due to asthma but able to get back to it in a month ! Can't wait

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
How long can it take to join?

I've processed an applicant from Recruit Test to Entry within 30 days. But... the individual was an overseas British applicant who established contact by email about three months ahead of his arrival in UK and I took a gamble by pre-booking all selection elements in advance, as he had submitted all identification documents, police check & references in advance. A residency waiver was requested before he arrived. He flew to UK on a Monday, week one. Sat and passed the recruit test on day two, together with the Selection interview that afternoon and completed his security clearance application. On the Wednesday he passed the medical in the morning by having the presence of mind to bring copies of all documents needed. Took and passed a pre-booked PJFT that afternoon. Attended an RMAD on the Thursday - smashed it. Phonecall to CTC: 'Any spare places on next week's PRMC?'. Yes. PRMC passed week two. Phonecall to allocator - any places on next available recruit troop? Yes. SC initial checks completed, SC waiver granted, joined Recruit Troop two weeks later.

Can I join that fast? Probably not unless you are fully, fully ready before you actually apply. By contrast we had a guy who twice flew in from New Zealand...he failed the recruit test both times through complete lack of preparation.

Currently, the 'average' person takes 6 to 8 months to join - usually because there are 'unforeseen' (completely avoidable) delays. Preparation is key. Fail to prepare before applying, prepare to fail.

If I do prepare, how fast could I realistically expect to complete selection and join? Three to four months, easy

Dom2595

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How long can it take to join?

I've processed an applicant from Recruit Test to Entry within 30 days. But... the individual was an overseas British applicant who established contact by email about three months ahead of his arrival in UK and I took a gamble by pre-booking all selection elements in advance, as he had submitted all identification documents, police check & references in advance. A residency waiver was requested before he arrived. He flew to UK on a Monday, week one. Sat and passed the recruit test on day two, together with the Selection interview that afternoon and completed his security clearance application. On the Wednesday he passed the medical in the morning by having the presence of mind to bring copies of all documents needed. Took and passed a pre-booked PJFT that afternoon. Attended an RMAD on the Thursday - smashed it. Phonecall to CTC: 'Any spare places on next week's PRMC?'. Yes. PRMC passed week two. Phonecall to allocator - any places on next available recruit troop? Yes. SC initial checks completed, SC waiver granted, joined Recruit Troop two weeks later.

Can I join that fast? Probably not unless you are fully, fully ready before you actually apply. By contrast we had a guy who twice flew in from New Zealand...he failed the recruit test both times through complete lack of preparation.

Currently, the 'average' person takes 6 to 8 months to join - usually because there are 'unforeseen' (completely avoidable) delays. Preparation is key. Fail to prepare before applying, prepare to fail.

If I do prepare, how fast could I realistically expect to complete selection and join? Three to four months, easy
Brilliant thanks for the info , I will speak to my Afco and try and get through it as fast as possible will start now looking into getting everything organised so that it is possible to get through it all quick time !

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you could pass a pjft today with ease and are 100% ready to go on PRMC next week then it is worth a call - But, if you are still completing a peak flow diary & have not got onto your GP to confirm he/she has already completed and returned your asthma questionnaire then save yourself the call.

The AFCO can only move forward with an application once the individual successfully completes each stage so it is no use asking for anything until you have completed your admin & physical preparations. The stated intent to progress quickly is not enough.

Good luck.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
is the application process for the marines slower than what it would Be for the paras , and by application I mean from the start of your app till training. I had done interview for both and after the interview for paras he was trying to book me on the fitness assessment where as after the marines I had a long time to wait for my medical and what not. Just wondering if it would have still worked out much the same sort of times ? My app for the marines got put on hold due to asthma but able to get back to it in a month ! Can't wait

How much do you want it? If you aren't prepared to wait, then are you really passionate about wanting to be a Commando.

Dom2595

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you could pass a pjft today with ease and are 100% ready to go on PRMC next week then it is worth a call - But, if you are still completing a peak flow diary & have not got onto your GP to confirm he/she has already completed and returned your asthma questionnaire then save yourself the call.

The AFCO can only move forward with an application once the individual successfully completes each stage so it is no use asking for anything until you have completed your admin & physical preparations. The stated intent to progress quickly is not enough.

Good luck.
so is it possible to complete a peak flow diary before hand and then give them it ready instead of waiting for a month when they issue me one ? If so how do you *text deleted* id go about doing that ? I'd much rather get it done before hand if possible to get it all moving again and not have the monthly waits I had before. And where would I get this asthma questionnaire to give to my gp ? Could I phone up my Afco and get ahold of this stuff and then give to my gp to get ready so that when I'm at that stage there is no waiting about

Dom2595

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How much do you want it? If you aren't prepared to wait, then are you really passionate about wanting to be a Commando.
I am prepared to wait , was more just out of curiosity ! And wondering if the paras app would have went through faster :) I know what I want and it's to be in the marines. I will wait as long as it takes ! Hopefully won't be too long but !

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I am prepared to wait , was more just out of curiosity ! And wondering if the paras app would have went through faster :) I know what I want and it's to be in the marines. I will wait as long as it takes ! Hopefully won't be too long but !

Good lad. Get amongst it!

Dom2595

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Good luck.
Or do you mean , once I'm at the stage of me finishing my peak flow get onto my doctors and make sure they've done the questionnaire and sent it off then get in touch with the Afco and try to get them to get it going quick , hate waiting about for stuff I'd be chuffed if I could get through it all in a few months , I will be starting at interview stage again. Unsure what part of medical i will have to do again , maybe all of it but unsure as it was only the asthma they couldn't pass me on !