Applying for RMR when I'm moving in August

davvowavvo

Reaction score
Afternoon,

I'm in my last year of university and will be moving to London August/September - so the plan is to end up with RMR London but unfortunately I'm not going to be there for a few months.

Was hoping someone could give me a hand with a couple of questions. Has anyone got experience of someone applying for RMR with the knowledge that they'll soon be moving to the other side of the country? - its an annoying complication! Also any ideas when RMR London does its PRMC (R) and when it starts its holding troops for them? In an ideal world I'd be able to join a holding troop at London August/September and work towards the next PRMC from them on. I realise its unlikely that the timings will line up like that but thought it was worth a shot to see if anyone's got an idea of the dates?

Cheers in advance, really appreciated,
Dave

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
One intake a year currently at RMR London. Training for the next troop starts in August of this year. Holding troop for the next troop (starting training August 2019) starts about November and you'll need to have done PRMC by June 2019 to get in that troop. Hope that makes sense.

I'd recommend starting your application asap, as it can take much longer to get through the medical than you might expect.

davvowavvo

Reaction score
One intake a year currently at RMR London. Training for the next troop starts in August of this year. Holding troop for the next troop (starting training August 2019) starts about November and you'll need to have done PRMC by June 2019 to get in that troop. Hope that makes sense.

I'd recommend starting your application asap, as it can take much longer to get through the medical than you might expect.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Sounds like the earliest chance is November 2018 holding troop - I assume training for that troop starts August 2019?

Yeah I've just passed my medical and got my PJFT coming up, so once thats passed I guess its just a waiting game really.

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Depends on how far away from London you are, but you could probably do PRMC without going to any of the Wednesday evening holding troop sessions (they're not compulsary). You'll need to attend a couple of Saturday sessions in London to get on the PRMC, but that would mean you could get into the the troop starting in August 2018 and save you waiting a year. Most of August is summer leave anyway, so you wouldn't have any Wednesday evenings until the start of September, just the first induction weekend/kit issue.

davvowavvo

Reaction score
Ah fantastic. I'm miles away from London but would make the trip a couple of times gladly. Is the cutoff for the August 2018 troop to have passed the PRMC by June? And do you have any idea of the dates of any PRMCs that I'd potentially be able to do by that cutoff? Thanks again.

posh_punter

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah, there's likely to be an RMR London PRMC in June, which will be your last chance for this troop. I think there's one in mid- March with RMR Bristol that you can go on too. If you can't make either, you can always go on a regular PRMC instead if you ask nicely. A fee few guys from our troop did this.
If you're confident in your phys, you could try and get on the one in March.

Latest posts

New Threads