Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Apprenticeship before joining?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by MrILoveRoyalMarines, Mar 7, 2019.

1. MrILoveRoyalMarines

MrILoveRoyalMarines New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hey guys I'm kinda stuck right now, so basically i have started my application process and have my psychometric test soon. However i am currently 18 in my last year of sixth form studying a levels, so probably will be 19 when i start recruit training. But the thing is i am not sure wether i should do an apprenticeship for a few years to get some life experience and also mature etc before hand and gain some qualifications too so I have a plan B before i join the royal marines also if i was to leave i would have something to fall back on. I was also thinking of joining the reserves while doing the apprenticeship. So yeah I'm kinda stuck on wether to join straight away or wait a few years while doing an apprenticeship and join the reserves before i join the regulars.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  2. Requiem

Requiem New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    100% do the apprenticeship first. Going for RMR while doing that is a good shout, but it’s much better to get some qualifications and life experience before joining the forces. 18/19 is a good age to start an apprenticeship too. I started mine at 19 in IT, I’m 25 now and feel like I’ve saw and done enough to be able to move onto the next step in my life and join up.

You’re only young once and the marines isn’t going anywhere. You’ve got until 32 or so to join up – plenty of time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sy_lume

sy_lume Royal Marines Commando

I started training when I had just turned 19, when I look back now I’m glad I joined, but I do wish I got a trade behind me as all I have to fall back on if all else fails when I do eventually leave is my C+E drivers license. Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1