Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Are there any great Royal Marine movies?

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Poley123, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Poley123

Poley123 New Member

In America we have all the best war movies, Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, Black Hawk Down, Jarhead. (Just to name a few) But where are the RM war films? or Is it true about America allllways getting the credit?

2. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Member

The only one I know of is the cockleshell heroes, a group rm that paddle 70 odd miles up to Bordeaux to destroy German ships with limpit mines.

3. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

Age of Heroes, released last year, covers the original 30 Commando during WWII.

4. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Member

Just watched the trailor to it, looked great until I seen it was danni dyer.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Penfoldsmith

Penfoldsmith Member

If its a Hollywood film then historic fact goes straight out the window. Saving Private Ryan is a perfect example, as is the film about the Enigma machine.(to name but two)

Hollywood changes the facts to suit themselves and sadly the vast majority of people accept what they see on the silver screen as 'gospel' :unsure:

OK I accept films are there to entertain BUT is it right to re-write history. Hello!! the Brits were there you know.

Goodness me rant mode to off. :nunu:

6. kennedy90

kennedy90 New Member

age of heros is a good recent film about the royal marines but your definatly right about danny dyer playing main man...should of got ross kemp haha

7. DPS

DPS New Member

Quick answer, no.

Plenty of documentaries though.

8. ste preece

ste preece Former RM

Cockleshell Heroes in the classic.

However, there is a film called, The Highest Honour. Its about a bunch of Ozzy Commandos and one Royal Marine Commando who get captured by the japanese. Its a true story.

Also: Harry Brown is a classic film.

Steve

9. Ross154

Ross154 New Member

U-571. That film really winds me up. Good film but it's just how the yanks decided that because they're making the film, they can play the heroes. "Based on a true story". Yeah, that it may be, but very loosely. You got the wrong country to start with!!

10. Yossarian

Yossarian Royal Marines Commando

Just out of interest, what's historically inaccurate about Saving Private Ryan?

11. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Member

Almost everthing, the guy it was based on and his airborne unit was dropped to far and they made there own way back to base where he was sent home. There was no amazing brave behind enemy lines rescue. No shooting snipers through there scopes and into there eyes etc, and taking out tanks with sock bombs. Just the Americans wishing they was commandos again. :laugh:

There's loads more inaccuracies to read about if you want to get realy geeky about it. There was a good documentry on a few weeks back about it.

12. dnn

dnn New Member

Not a Royal Marine film but a decent film worth a watch, Wild Geese.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Connor!

Connor! New Member

Anthony_H < this guy watches the discovery channel, I watched it too mate, was a good watch actually.. He's true by the way but that's what makes the movies so good! I'd much prefer to pay for a decent story than a boring one! :uglyhammer:

14. Poley123

Poley123 New Member

Thats too bad! only two? and its true, you guys are "unappriciated" here, well besides a handfull of people who actually know what they are talking about. I have a goal now atleast, i want do something so awesome that Mel Gibson will make a movie about me and the Royal Marines. haha

• Like Like x 1
  15. C

C Guest

A movie with Mel Gibson in is guaranteed to be in no way historically accurate - your character would magically morph into a Marine Recon/US Green Beret/ Navy Seal/ Ranger in an instant. The heroes must always be American whatever the actual history, its the Hollywood rule - artistic licence and all that!

16. Connor!

Connor! New Member

Its funny you say that there was also a documentary on the truth of braveheart, ( a Mel Gibson movie ) although I didn't watch that one.

17. Poley123

Poley123 New Member

This is true. haha he has a way of just making things up. for example the battle of sterling bridge in braveheart wasnt on a bridge. however he would make me look like such a badass it would not matter to me! hahaha

18. Poley123

Poley123 New Member

where do you find these documentarys? I'm curious to see the Saving Private Ryan one. fun fact: did you know the tigers in the movie werent actually tigers? they were old soviet tanks painted to look like one.

19. Connor!

Connor! New Member

The discovery channel on sky mate, they had a few programmes in a series finding out how much truth was in these Hollywood movies of iconic events.

The series is over but I'm sure they will repeat it, they always do on that channel.

20. ptidaz

ptidaz Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    lets hope hollywood dont do films about royal marines they be having US Marines capturing gibralter

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2