Are you forced to take vaccinations in the Marines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’m sure a read somewhere that the states were worrying and considering a ban on anyone who had Covid from joining the forces because they don’t know the full, long term effects of the virus.

And yet China won’t face any blacklash, international consequences or even criticism for allowing it to happen on their watch. They have a lot of explaining and a lot more to do to make amends for the international community.

Agreed. It's b.s that China isn't getting a 'extra phys' from the international community for allowing this evolve to a global scale. But China's pockets are deep, and thus no one will do a thing.

In regards to the US military. I have a feeling that if they did ban people that had covid from joining, it would only worsen their recruitment crisis.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
I'd concentrate on passing that psychometric test first mate, seeing ad though you're anti - vax and all.
Didn't have to bother since my qualifications were already good enough. With a statement as dumb as yours I'd worry more about yourself mate.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
I can understand why some don’t wish to have the vaccine because we don’t know how it will affect us later on. But it does seem that a lot of these people are happy to accept that ‘only’ 0.1%(ish)will die of Covid. What about those that don’t die, but may have long term effects? We don’t yet have data on that either. Have peoples lifespans been reduced? Will they suffer from respiratory and other issues for the rest of their lives?
If we wind back one year though, that was the clinical strategy set out by the Government. We were to shield to more vulnerable and push the kids out to catch it, build up some type of immunity. The younger ones then couldn't spread it in the future. I don't understand how things have flipped from a point where we (the older ones) were, because kids were at almost no risk, selfishly using kids to go out and catch it - for the good of the community, to now they are selfish for going out and catching it. I just don't understand how these steps have occurred without any data.

Apparently, as a Royal Marine I’m ‘at nearly no risk’, but 3 months on from having it I’m still not back to full fitness. It’s 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Every time I’m starting to get back towards where I was before, my body causes me to stop. I’ve had flu a number of times, this is no flu. I’m not unique to this, a fair few of my friends and family are the same, some a year on.
I'm still adamant that I had it 2-3 months before it officially came to the UK. It went through my friends and family like a hot knife through butter. Anyone that had that, knew it was something very different. I was coughing for well over a month.

So once restrictions are reduced, are those who choose not to vaccinate happy to continue wearing masks, social distance etc, when you don’t have to, in order to protect others? Or will it be a case of I’m alright Jack?

Why would they need to if the vaccine others took, worked?

What I would be happy to sign is a document that says if I refuse a vaccine and I later develop CV-19 symptoms, don't treat me. I think that is fair enough.

Sprint0205

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
And yet China won’t face any blacklash, international consequences or even criticism for allowing it to happen on their watch. They have a lot of explaining and a lot more to do to make amends for the international community.
I'm not one of these nutters who thinks COVID was created in a lab in Wuhan, but it is quite convenient that China is back on its feet now, while its adversaries, notably the US, is still very much crippled.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
They thought Thalidomide was a wonder drug, until the side affects started coming up a bit later on
As @Chelonian referred to, it's still a prescribed drug. It's very effective in the fight against leprosy. It was just the Pregnant Women that shouldn't take it.

Luckily for them, The US didn't skip the trials and rush it out. Their population wasn't effected because a female scientist spotted it and put a stop to it. I think she won some Nobel prize for it.

Reaction score
I'm not anti-vax, but I am against the COVID vaccination as a requirement for access to public life. It's a political standpoint that has to do with the danger of the precedent created by handing that much power to the executive. It will completely destroy the legal and political traditions, and thus way of life, that we knew in Britain up to know.

If it becomes a condition of joining, I personally won't rejoin the armed forces.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody seems to be discussing how compromised our immune systems will be at Lympstone. Whilst seemingly the fittest lads in the country, the effects of RT are actually massively negative on the body during that period of time - sleep deprived, not eating the same as we do as civilians, constantly smashing intense phys and long endurance stuff, being in and out of the field being broken down either by extreme cold or heat etc.

I don't know how much can be posted publicly beyond what the press already found out so I'll be cautious here but I've been told stories by trained mates working at CTC of how severely COVID has affected some Recruits on the ward because they essentially have a battered immune system.

My concern is not about taking the vaccine, in fact my worry will be how or when we will get offered it at CTC if it is *not* mandated, as I rejoin soon and am very keen to get vaccinated ASAP!

Personal stance on them - nobody can *force* you to take any injection but countries or businesses should reserve the right to keep you out if you're not. I've travelled extensively in remote areas jungles deserts etc and never complained at showing proof of yellow fever jab, rabies jab, DTP or anything else.

Chelonian

Reaction score
If it becomes a condition of joining, I personally won't rejoin the armed forces.
The greater probability might be that one is required to prove one's vaccination status to access everyday services, including pubs.
The implications for civil liberties (as we knew them) are likely to be significant.

Reaction score
The greater probability might be that one is required to prove one's vaccination status to access everyday services, including pubs.
The implications for civil liberties (as we knew them) are likely to be significant.

They won't be liberties at all (liberties aren't derived from government), they'll be privileges to be given and taken at will. There won't really be that much difference between us and the Chinese if such a change in the relationship between the individual and the state becomes entrenched.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Once the Pharmaceutical companies have had their feed, the lawyers will come in to finish whatever is left of the Treasury carcass.

There will certainly be challenges, but whether or not our courts are independent or not is a big worry for me. Sadly, I fear they are not.

The Nuremberg code is detailed in banning medical experiments on people without their consent. Coercion, giving them freedoms in exchange for consent, is not consent. The Gov will argue that these are not experiments and the science is settled on this vaccine. That's fine, if they are no longer experiments, then lift the immunity that pharmaceutical companies have for making them.

In an independent court, the Gov will struggle and I think it knows it.

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not one of these nutters who thinks COVID was created in a lab in Wuhan, but it is quite convenient that China is back on its feet now, while its adversaries, notably the US, is still very much crippled.

Definitely. Though this only delays their inevitable collapse. This won't solve their pending, demographic, doom.

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I remember when I worked in pharmaceutical manufacture - from active ingredients all the way through to full clean room production, the issues with thalidomide were often discussed. If I remember correctly, it was a highly effective drug initially and as a result of this,production was optimised to meet demand. The changes in production were what led to birth defects. As a result, the whole regulatory side of things changed. Having been involved in FDA audits - it's been one of the scariest things I've been involved in professionally.
I've been vaccinated for many things. Many due to what I was working with. I've also been a guinea pig in medical testing. The protocols for the testing were really thorough. I'm okay with people not wanting to be vaccinated if they have a genuine fear or health reason. What I'm not okay with is when I've heard people say 'well, I'm not getting vaccinated. If everyone else does, I don't have to'.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There's some interesting and equally valid viewpoints on this thread but can I just ask that we keep it civil, without trading insults or indeed rising to the bait as it detracts from the otherwise intelligent discussion.

Many thanks.

Mosquito

Reaction score
To be fair the way the virus was handled at least locally in China was very good. The lockdown and quarantine procedures that were so strictly adhered to are the reason why they're allowed out and about now. I can tell you first hand how rigorous just the arrivals process is into the country, let alone once you're at your government controlled hotel for a 2 week quarantine. They've also put a halt on 95% of their visas, hardly letting any foreigners in unless they have Chinese passport. It's the same case in Australia too as well as Korea; no flights allowed in, then when they eased up it was hotel quarantine and a strictly enforced limit on how far you could go from your home.

Having done 3 flights to America since the pandemic, it is shambolic how it's been handled. Only screened going INTO Dallas, not leaving. Nowhere else had it. And even then it was just a questionnaire which you just say yes to. Every single thing is open, be it shop, bowling alley, cinema. Mask policies seem to be self-interpreted and vary from restaurant to restaurant, shop to shop. It shouldn't be a hard thing to control the spread, people just make it hard.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For me, I totally get the younger person's perspective with regard potential risk to self.

Let's face it, we all take risks every day and joining the Armed Forces certainly heightens the risk of injury or worse.

With regard the Covid-19 vaccine and choice, so far as I'm aware, it is not compulsory in order to join and equally joining the Armed Forces is currently a matter of choice, so it is entirely valid to ask whether this vaccine is a condition of entry.

To put it into perspective, for those unvaccinated and over 80, for example, there's a 10% probability of dying if C-19 is caught.

Me? I had my jab yesterday as I'm in the 55-59 demographic and more at risk than someone in a younger group. The potential long-term side-effects worry me less than dying from C-19 however, if I was younger, I'd be more concerned of the potential long term side effects than dying from the virus.

Bootra

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Title. Not really comfortable with it because these vaccines are being pushed without any long-term studies and I've had bad experiences in the past. I'd rather take my chances especially since I'm fit and can look after myself, not to mention the survival rate (think it's 99.8-9% according to CDC) and experimental mRNA technology...
Are you able to object?
I’ll just go back to the original post and then probably bow out of the conversation (although I’m enjoying the debate)
Over the last 30 years the Corps has put me in some dangerous situations and places. I’ve had god knows what pumped into me at various sick bays, and accepted it all as part of the job.
I’m surprised I’ve reached the age I have!
For anyone wanting to join, there’s nothing wrong with asking questions, and coming to informed decisions. But ultimately, as others have said, you swear Allegience and then get on with whatever task you’re given. Whether you agree with it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.