Arghhhh hero!?

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
This really really annoys me...

I've thought about it before but the Olympics really took the biscuit.

As you all are aware, Rebecca Adlington did bloody well in the swimming...and because of it...shes been awarded a Dame!? Shes been referred to as a hero...

Fair play to her, shes fantastic at what she does...but in no way does swimming for a while in a pool make you a hero...especially when young lads come back from afghan and Iraq with arms and legs missing and they don't get *text deleted**text deleted* all apart from a few grand...which far from compensates for their sacrifice!

People like that should be called heros and be awarded such titles...but instead they get nothing...

This also goes for the likes of Elton John, Alex Ferguson etc etc....it's so feking wrong!

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
the word hero is very misused i think

Geryon

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's turned around now, the real heroes get medals mainly, and people who can run fast and move their arms at high speed in water get homecoming paraded on double decker buses and buildings named after them.]

Although lately soldiers have been getting more respect http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.13443

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* its pathetic and it shows where the countries priorities are but im not joining to be paraded around im joining *text deleted* i want to kill people :fight:.......joke its *text deleted* i want to be part of the elite :rock:

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I have to disagree really.

A lot of people want to be soldiers and go to war, and a lot of people do and have. It is hard work, but it doesn't take the specific dedication that it does for an athlete to become the best in the world at something.

For her there was a very specific, very difficult goal that so so many people strive to achieve and fail.

Soldiers may go through hell, experience and see some horrific things, but it's not really that difficult to acheive.

Also, people are always saying they go off to fight for a good cause, do some good, bring justice etc etc, and thats why they are hero's.

But again I disagree, thats what the government may be doing, but surely 90% of soldiers are there for a whole load of different reasons, completely seperate from 'the cause'.

I know I'm joining to be as fit as I can be, to see as much of the world as possible, to experience the buzz, thrill, adrenaline and terror of war, to meet new people, create new friends, and do somthing I'm going to really enjoy and get paid for it!

The fact that I support the cause is a coincidence really.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
HE-RO
–noun, plural -roes; for 5 also -ros.
1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.
3. the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.
4. Classical Mythology.
a. a being of godlike prowess and beneficence who often came to be honored as a divinity.
b. (in the Homeric period) a warrior-chieftain of special strength, courage, or ability.
c. (in later antiquity) an immortal being; demigod.
5. hero sandwich.
6. the bread or roll used in making a hero sandwich.
Bit of part one about ability applies, maybe?

Iles

Reaction score
Dn't know if anyone else has seen it but I was reading Soldier ,which is an army magazine, in the AFCO whilst waiting to do my psychometric test the other day.; there was an interview with Martin Johnson about the upcoming charity game raising money for injured soldiers and he was talking about how the word hero is overuse and how he feel about the lads on the frontline etc.

Thought it was worth a mention.

billybambino

Reaction score
I have to disagree really.

A lot of people want to be soldiers and go to war, and a lot of people do and have. It is hard work, but it doesn't take the specific dedication that it does for an athlete to become the best in the world at something.

For her there was a very specific, very difficult goal that so so many people strive to achieve and fail.

Soldiers may go through hell, experience and see some horrific things, but it's not really that difficult to acheive.

Also, people are always saying they go off to fight for a good cause, do some good, bring justice etc etc, and thats why they are hero's.

But again I disagree, thats what the government may be doing, but surely 90% of soldiers are there for a whole load of different reasons, completely seperate from 'the cause'.

I know I'm joining to be as fit as I can be, to see as much of the world as possible, to experience the buzz, thrill, adrenaline and terror of war, to meet new people, create new friends, and do somthing I'm going to really enjoy and get paid for it!

The fact that I support the cause is a coincidence really.
i do agree, but to be fair, them athletes wouldnt have the balls to join the forces and neither do most people

and being a royal marine isnt easy to acheive either

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
i do agree, but to be fair, them athletes wouldnt have the balls to join the forces and neither do most people

and being a royal marine isnt easy to acheive either
How can you say that athletes 'don't have the balls', they're still people!! Like you and me, if we have the balls why don't they?

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i understand both points of view here.
athletes do work long and hard to get where they are.
however so do royal marines... i think maybe we are too quick to give things in certain areas... and too slow in other areas...
i agree that people who give there lives to an area i.e. sport or music and have managed great things should be awarded medals but rebbeca adlington is only young so maybe after another olympics if she gained more medals it would have been worthwhile honouring her in a way i.e. making her a dame. look at sir steve redgrave he didnt get his knighthood after one olympics...
soldiers go to war because it is there job and so do not automatically become "heros" however more recognition should be given to those who do give life and limb for a war. one which is trying to make the world a safer place for everyone which is a more comendable cause than the olympics which is more a show of people who were lucky enough to get given opportunites at a young age to excel in an area. the freedom to do so was bought with soldiers lives!
think ill leave it there just my thoughts on things. :)

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I agree with MattB i saying.

Atheletes just have different motivations. A lot of people must think we are mad for *wanting* to serve in the Marines and put ourselves in the line of fire. I strongly want to soldier and can't figure out why the rest of my mates aren't just as enthusiatic to join up. People tick differently.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I strongly want to soldier and can't figure out why the rest of my mates aren't just as enthusiatic to join up. People tick differently.
*text deleted* i completely agree i do not want to do anything else... the lifestyle the people everything especialy in todays climate of financial uncertainty a job in the armed forces is a great move but people do not see it that way! it is not like if you do not want to be a soldier you would have to be you could join the RAF or Navy or Army and not be a frontline soldier and earn a trade. just what i think at any rate.
sorry to alter topic slightly!

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Both athletes and soldiers are highly respectable people, it isn't easy being either as to be an athlete you have to live and breath the sport your doing and train hard day in day out, the same with soldiers, both are hard lifestyle jobs and it takes balls and alot of commitment to do either.

Blanio

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I respect all different views but my main issue is the fact that singers/ athletes etc get knighted for doing things for their country...yet the public don't even know the names of the young soldiers that have died for this country...

There is no comparison:

Girl swims and eats right 7 days a week...

Man runs till he drops, goes hungry, fights for his country and dies...

Who's name should really be remembered?

However, I do agree with those people that say, 'well anybody who wins a gold medal in the Olympics is a sporting hero'. But I strongly believe the true heros are those that put their country and troop first.