'armoured' landrovers

elliott16

Reaction score
wasnt sure where to put this but decided here was best.
im just wondering why so many servicemen/women are being killed by roadside and suicide bombs when they are travelling in 'armoured' landrovers? surely these should be armoured against these specific type of attack? i wish this government would treat this war as a war not a political sore spot best avoided.
i remember hearing about technology that had not been fitted to a landrover that would block the bombs sensors (or something like that) and that it had been left on base, sadly several people died because of it not being in place. but surely a few more layers of metal plates/carbon fibre would be sufficient and relatively not that expensive?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i thnk the americans have started using a new design of people carrier that has a diamond shaped hull which is a lot more effective against IED, unfortunately the landrovers used by UK are lightly armoured and the governemtn is being typically belligerant in funding new UK vehicles.
Edit:
see http://warisboring.com/?p=493 for US diamond hull jobby
just wanted to add though that a lot of IEDs are adapted from artillery shells and there's not much out there that will protect you from an artillery shell detonating at point blank range

D

Deleted

There's a frequency jammer, which could be used to block mobile phone signals, but the problem is these would prevent very few IEDs from detonating, as most are simple pressure sensors.

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
"When it comes to blast-proof trucks, the Pentagon believes that timely deliveries trump other considerations, including traditional business relationships."

this is y the USA armed forces arent being killed left right and centre

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They are only deisgned to stop small arms and shrapnel