Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Army’s new recruitment posters

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by pch90, Jan 3, 2019.

1. pch90

pch90 New Member

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. MumOnEdge

MumOnEdge Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Oh dear, it seems to me it's much like when an adult tries to 'relate' to the youth by using similar words and phrases but doesn't get them quite right and just ends of embarrassing themselves!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I'd seen these posters on social media previously & actually thought they were an unfunny "joke" posted by some embittered ex-serviceman of a similar age to myself, who thought it amusing to have an unfounded pop at the "youth of today".

If it's genuinely meant to appeal to potential recruits, the creator needs to be shot without trial, before dawn ideally. They are cringeworthy in the extreme to me but not aimed at my demographic group. Perhaps they appeal to the younger generation of recruits but I have my doubts.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

It's interesting to see that on the video clip they are showing parts of the EC and Bottom Field! No doubt All Arms, but hey ho, alls fair etc.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

army_poster.jpg

Irony is arguably the most subtle comic technique so it's wasted on me. This might even be post-ironic if such a thing exists. :confused:
    But I guess that the marketing agency would have failed spectacularly if I approved of the ads.

At least they are a minor improvement on the last campaign which was plain embarrassing. The Army is a big organisation, infantry being only one element. The posters might have some appeal for those considering diverse career paths.

6. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

That is absolutely hideous and embarrising. Capita need sacking their advertising is absolutely jaw droppingly terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MumOnEdge

MumOnEdge Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    They would do better trying to appeal to non-academic young people who don't want to follow the path of university and people who enjoy the outdoors and being fit as a lot of young people are far more aware of their health and fitness. As an alternative to a desk job perhaps.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Whenever I see the efforts of a lot of these organisations, who use other companies to re-brand themselves with awful end results, I often wonder why the customer, in this case the Army, does not have the balls to say, "it's crap, so go away and come up with something better, otherwise we won't pay you".

A classic of yesteryear was British Airways, who wished to move away from being British. Margaret Thatcher made her feelings well known at the time what she thought of it.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

No subtle messages in this Rhodesian Light Infantry poster.

rhodesian_army.jpg

This one's not bad either. :)

para_poster.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    For the love of Neptune’s ballsack. What is this drivel?

Seriously, who are they employing for this crap?! And at that cost. What a complete joke.

This can’t solely be the work of some HR, equality “officer” (I use that term loosely because it’s a joke)
    They must be out sourcing it to some pretentious arseh0le advertising company like “Think farm” or some other ridiculous hipster name. That’s probably why the Heirarchy are getting touchy about lads gobbing off about it.

The same as Capita, Sodexo and the time they sold out the Corps to Next. For some stupid clothing.

Honestly, which ever Officer keeps signing off on the crap needs a choked out with some paracord.

Pay me half of whatever doorknob person you are employing, and I will come with several better alternatives. I already have some decent ideas.

Don’t bother joining up lads, it’s not worth it anymore..

• Like Like x 8
  11. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Or just appeal to actual normal people and not the minority of hipster, wet lettuce, limp wristed arseh0le, Twitter crowd. Or the 0.2-1% of the population that doesn’t have a grasp on biology and can’t decide what bloody gender they are.

The military exists to close with and destroy the enemy. Not pander to the weak, who insist on trying to destroy this country like a cancer, rotting from the inside.

• Like Like x 5
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

This poster from the 1970s conveys diversity of roles without any psychobabble flim-flam.

professionals.jpg

This one could be recycled for 2019. Those eyes! :eek:

belgium.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

Wow.

I saw these on Facebook earlier and assumed it was some sort of joke. The Army comes across as so out of touch it is unbelievable. Who would want to join an organisation which insults its recruitment base by calling them 'snowflakes' and 'selfie addicts' etc. Just terrible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I want to add:

Snow flakes (incorrect use of the word) and Compassion - totally subjective word. The modern definition means to care for everyone and all the crap. The correct meaning is what the Mother Bear feels for her cubs when she’s tearing you apart and killing you for being a threat to her young. That is not what they mean by this.

Millenials and Self belief - Millenials don’t have self belief. They have an arrogant, pretentious attitude Which puts them “above” all this nasty army business anyway. They don’t fit into a situation, they try and bend the situation to their liking, because they can’t handle reality, and are the result of failed parenting techniques.

Class clown and Spirit - to be fair, that’s probably the only one that’s right. However we don’t want ever class clown or disruptive doorknob to join.

Phone zombies and focus. - a complete oxymoron. Research shows permanent damage to concentrate levels, mentors retention and detrimental focus levels from phone use. We don’t want people cracking phones out to check their twitter page in a section attack.

Binge Gamers and “drive” - again, a complete contradiction of terms. Binge gamers who have re-written their dopamine reward system, similar to above. Only positive is first person shooters de-sensitising our young minds to violence and gore.

Selfie addicts and “confidence” - again, a complete contradiction of terms. With Instagram and social media coming under increasing fire for the selfie generation, filters and increasing mental health issues relating to both genders of young people, including eating disorders, unhealthy representations, increasing steroid abuse. People who are inclined to take “selfies” are likely to be the least confident.

A complete screw up. It’s not even just cringey, it’s compeltely out of touch and way off the mark.

Once again pandering to a more minority market and out of touch with the generation and the point of recruiting. With more of generation x shirking the “snowflake” and millennial studies this is completely out of touch, and completely patronising the the very people we want to recruit.

Well done to the bright idea fairy for this crap.

Get back to your caviar you doorknobs.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  15. Firedrake

Firedrake Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    You only really have to look at The Guardian commentariat to see what the targeted demographic (or at least who would have been the targeted demographic 5-10 years ago) think of this campaign.
    The cynicism is eyewatering, and frankly I think they just think anyone who wants to join the forces really just wishes they could join the SS and when they are done will just make up the majority of homeless.

I like the Navy ads - I was this, Now I'm this!
    RAF Ads - You can play with this, this and This! (Supersonic Jet Fly's Past).

I'm not sure what to say about the Army ones.
    I always remember the "Who would you save first ads" I can't say they made me want to join when I was younger but at least it was honest.

While from what I have heard, this softer approach the Army has taken has seen an increase in applications, I would be interested to see whether attrition rates during basic training have exponentially increased, or increased in proportionately with larger intakes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ave!

ave! Royal Marines Commando

I think everyone gets recruitment wrong personally. These posters are drivel but at least it isn’t promising their potential recruits opportunities to snatch drug cartel members / 6 man boat borne jungle missions ; then complaining when the lads have the sheer audacity to get threaders when all they do is Dartmoor / sennyfridge and Bodmin mood or ping them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  17. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

I am actually at the point of extreme embarrassment and ashamed to admit I served in the Army! The current and past recruitment campaigns have trashed all pride and honour of the role I once was proud of!! And is seriously undermining those of ability who are currently serving!!

Today’s Army is nothing more than a social experiment. I really am at a loss!! :(

• Like Like x 7
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  18. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    True, However these aren’t recruitment, they are statements pandering too a social/political leaning. It’s not about recruitment, it’s about showering how “diverse” and “inclusive” and “modern” they are.

Where’s the travel opportunities, where’s the adventure training, where’s the bonding and friendship, the chance to get experience, qualifications, a chance for someone to completely change their circumstances and make something of themselves?

All this “inclusive” crap, should be a lecture in training, the typical tick in the box thing. Just to say it’s done. And the recruitment should be excitement, a snap shot, a insight into what you could be able to do.

These latest recruitments are more fitting to join Tesco, with forced, tired, over used scripted lines, pandering to a certain demographic rather than the recruitment for a Military Force.

The other side of your argument is about retention. Lads get threaders being treated like idiots or kids, and getting messed around. Retention is a huge issue. Pay and promotion being messed around, the pensions screwed up, to the point that SNCOs are mugging the corps off instead of staying for the pension.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Creature of the Night

The Creature of the Night Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    With Capita going all nostaligic, they should replicate this pre WWI (think I might be wrong with the date? Please correct me if I am wrong) that looks the business and summarises what the Army should be about; not this 'snowflakes wanted' hypoerbole!

Best wishes
    The Creature of the Night.

upload_2019-1-3_16-37-31.png

20. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    From my point of view, the only thing these adverts are good for is the jokes and banter we’re all going to have amongst ourselves.

Just in time for the end of Christmas leave :D

• Seen Seen x 1