Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Army’s new recruitment posters

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by pch90, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I can't be certain but the poster looks like a modern mish-mash of Great War propaganda material. The Army logo is contemporary, as evidenced by the Queen's crown. And the typeface looks modern too. The bloke has also had his saluting elbow removed, not by a Hun sniper's bullet but by someone's clumsy cut and paste. :)

Anyone interested should Google Great War recruitment posters. As that war progressed and the slaughter continued, recruitment numbers dropped. Throughout the Commonwealth considerable psychological pressure was exerted to compel increasingly aged civilians to enlist. This is a good one:

6040608.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Creature of the Night

The Creature of the Night Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Just noticed that! Looks like I’ve been had in thinking it was genuine and can see his elbow’s missing :(o_O, i feel like I’ve spread fake news!

That picture you posted is terribly poignant and illustrates how psychological aspects can sometimes be a far better recruiting tool than the archetypical tools.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Such was the concern regarding this and the previous advertising campaign that the chain of command took the unprecedented step of sending out a presentation to explain what they were all about.

It's kind of like a bad joke, if you've got to explain it, it's not funny! I'm with @arny01 on this...I'm off to bury my hand in the sand until the next rubbish TV programme comes along at which point I will feel able to rejoin the inter-service banter.-banghead-

• Like Like x 5
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

scream.jpg

I vaguely recall a series of 1970's Army recruitment posters, one of which which depicted a Chieftain tank with a text banner that in 2019 language approximates to:

'50 tons, 700hp and a 120 mm gun. What's not to like?'

At a guess the campaign cost about twenty guineas from concept to execution.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

I just cant see why they believe this was a good idea? Maybe its statistics from research on the least amount of applicants from a certain age or group.

Why not get some enthusiastic Army soldiers who fancy so media learning or being in an advert to look cool and save thousands
    I'm with Arny its incredibly embarrising I get theres no ops but film some ally exercise in Kenya or some more AT or do the Royal Marine way and just make up a scenario.

I just hope to god this new paras show doesnt make my regiment a laughing stock or look like any old tom dick and harry can join with no motivation.

I'm loving the photoshops that have gone around

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. blindman3004

blindman3004 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    New video adverts to go along with the posters :eek:

7. pch90

pch90 New Member

Slightly better than the poster effort.

• Like Like x 1
  8. blindman3004

blindman3004 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Cringing at the first video "your stamina". I don't see how playing COD/video games, siting in a nice warm temperature controlled room all night will translate as useful attribute to use on ops or ex! Highlighting excessive video game use as context to show dedication is a poor choice.

9. ave!

ave! Royal Marines Commando

I actually like those adverts. Taking the average civvie and showing them what they can realistically do.

First lad is clearly involved in anti poaching ; something the army is actually doing at the moment. Therefore if a bod join some up and expects to be sent to Africa and gets sent he will be happy and content with his choice

Second one , that girl gets stick at work which is standard ; joins up as a drone operator ( ironic as the dinosaurs in the military probably have no understanding of this technology and how I can be used/ implemented ; Gatwick anyone? ) she’s is clearly being used as an ISTAR element attached to infantry/recce. Once again something you could reasonably expect to do.

I like honesty and realistic expectations. I was surprised the sheep dip was so short and very surprised that I wasn’t out on a ship nabbing bad guys , abseiling down palm trees on a recce or letting tarantulas crawl in my eye

• Like Like x 1
  10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The anti poaching is only certain units and details. There’s a big chance they can join up and not do it.

Technology and drone technology is being implemented more and has been implemented before in the past, it’s not new technology to the military.

The sheep dip thing was a chad advert. If you went to faslane/situations kicked off, you could well be abseiling onto ships looking for bad guys.
    The corps has scope for the jungle, and I saw plenty of beasties in the jungle, and had a snake in my bergan. I have been skiing in Finland, there’s ski championships, there’s sky diving courses, there’s SCUBA courses, there’s all manner of adventure training and other fun stuff you can do.

The military is about luck, right place right time, graft, and being a bit necky. If you sit around and drip and don’t be proactive then you won’t do a lot.
    Sometimes the luck of the draw means you don’t get the Gucci stuff straight away.

Recruitment isn’t about pandering to the social/political leanings of a minority group of people. It’s about grabbing people’s attention, showing them what you can do. And what is out there.

But sometimes when there’s no Gucci stuff to do, you just have to make do with cleaning landies and weapons.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RM2977

RM2977 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    When those earlier video adverts came out (the ones with the lad getting the prayer mat out on patrol) I wasn't too bothered, thought they were a bit weird but maybe it'll appeal to a different demographic?

These new ones though... Absolute loss for words.

12. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Someone, somewhere along the line had lost the plot and totally forgot what it is an Army is for! Whilst doing an advance to contact I just need to pray a minute!! “Ye ok mate you just crack on!!” We’ll all just hang about in a big huddle and let the enemy just take us all out with a *text deleted*ing spud gun!:mad::confused:

Or ye your a cracking shot on COD your just the person we want!! -vomit- Managing expectations has gone out the window!!
    And that’s why the retention is in a horrendously bad position!!

Government decisions are absolutely wrecking the fabric of our armed forces from top to bottom!! There is no steal, no pride, no grit or spine! It’s all disappeared down the toilet! Numskull contractors are putting together appalling advertising campaigns and it’s all gone to rat *text deleted*!!

For god sake I hope the Royal Marines are watching this and learning??? The question is how are things going to be turned around?? I honestly think it’s gone too far to retrieve. What an absolute shame!

• Like Like x 3
  13. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I reckon it’s been outsourced to an advertising and marketing company. Is there anyone with any knowledge, and if a freedom of information can get us how much it cost to pay said company (that is now laughing all the way to the bank)

• Like Like x 1
  14. ajc81

ajc81 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Couldn’t agree more. I said a lot of this myself this morning. Working in both emergency healthcare and university I have had these concerns for years. I undertook some research and found statistical significance in generational fit and levels of psychological capital. The younger the person the lower the level of resilience, self efficacy and hope. This campaign is just superficial [email protected]@t. Things will only get worse and the training teams will then be blamed

• Like Like x 1
  15. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I think it’s safe to say that the only good thing about this recruitment campaign is the Mickey take ones that are getting sent round the lads.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Its like theyre scared to show what the job is. A killing machine for bad people like its a cover up

17. BubbleBert

BubbleBert New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Nuff said....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  18. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Anyone else seen the tortured attempt by the army “lgbtq+” twitter page, insulting a dead man’s memory trying to twist these tired and horrendous slogans into their agenda? He was more of a bloke than the majority of the soy boy, hipster, wet lettuce blokes we have today. It makes no sense, it’s defamation. Its actually infuriating.

Why the military is ever on twitter I do not know.

Absolute embarrassment. And someone keeps getting paid for this absolute dogs abortion. They are using snowflake in completely the wrong context for start. And we don’t want any bloody snowflakes in the military.

Just looking through the twitter, and the absolute joke of people that are bigging it up, and involved with it. Absolute no spine. All officers concerned with their careers and politics rather than doing their job.

Get off Twitter and do your job.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  19. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I've asked my MP. Members of Parliament can bypass the FoI process. If I get an answer I'll share it.
    An insight into how the advertising and marketing industry regards the current and previous recruitment campaigns:

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/the-work/advertiser/army/6962

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rover

Rover Moderator

Whoops...............

FB-IMG-1546606156139.jpg

;);)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1