Army Gunners Pack a Punch in Iraq

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score
When coalition forces came under heavy attacks from insurgents in Iraq, the flames of the British Army gunners' 155mm AS90s proved to be the showstopper.

More...

S

Sotiris

...that is a big big gun.

Old Mo better get his head down quick when that thing sings.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
"AV THAT YER FECKERS!!" Could just imagine the roar of the Troops when this *text deleted* came out and just sprayed the enemy!.. Good work!, That is blooooody huge! I Love that thing!

AV IT!
Sam

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Rate of fire: 3 rounds in 10 seconds (burst), 6 rounds per minute for 3 minutes (intense), 2 rounds per minute for 60 minutes (sustained)

That is just frightening.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Back in 2001 I managed to get invited to an Army firepower demo at Warminster on Salisbury Plain, a live-firing spectacle.

There were several hundred spectators (mostly UK & overseas military) seated in a grandstand and the show-stopper at the end (not that it wasn't impressive up until that point) was when an AS90 came roaring-up about 25 metres in front of the the stand, did a "handbrake turn" so it had it's gun pointing directly away from us elevated.

It immediately fired off three rounds in very quick succession, each of which felt like a slap in the face. As you looked down the row of spectators, you could see their hair blown backwards on each shot. The AS90 then turned and parked up behing the stand.

The commentator then started his commentary stating that right on the horizon, at 12 miles distant you could see 3 burnt out armoured vehicles as targets marked black, white, black and you should watch them closely. He finished talking and about 10 seconds later they each disappeared in a huge explosion in quick succession. Very impressive.

Of course, for all I know it could have been blanks & separate explosive charges planted under each target remotely detonated, but I suspect not.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Back in 2001 I managed to get invited to an Army firepower demo at Warminster on Salisbury Plain, a live-firing spectacle.

There were several hundred spectators (mostly UK & overseas military) seated in a grandstand and the show-stopper at the end (not that it wasn't impressive up until that point) was when an AS90 came roaring-up about 25 metres in front of the the stand, did a "handbrake turn" so it had it's gun pointing directly away from us elevated.

It immediately fired off three rounds in very quick succession, each of which felt like a slap in the face. As you looked down the row of spectators, you could see their hair blown backwards on each shot. The AS90 then turned and parked up behing the stand.

The commentator then started his commentary stating that right on the horizon, at 12 miles distant you could see 3 burnt out armoured vehicles as targets marked black, white, black and you should watch them closely. He finished talking and about 10 seconds later they each disappeared in a huge explosion in quick succession. Very impressive.

Of course, for all I know it could have been blanks & separate explosive charges planted under each target remotely detonated, but I suspect not.

Bloody Awesome mate!, Sounds amazing, This is an annual show then? Or is it not open to the public?. Sounds awesome!

Sam

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Bloody Awesome mate!, Sounds amazing, This is an annual show then? Or is it not open to the public?. Sounds awesome!

Sam
Been to two of them with my cadets unit.

Absolutely awesome, I challenge any real man to not leave there with a pitched tent.

First one had two jaguar jets fly over the stand at 50ft, drop rockets and bugger off. Got shown the new H&K 40mm grenade launcher mounted on a landie in action, and seen the apache with it's chain gun.

It really is quite scary when at the end there are warriors, dismounted troops, Charlie 2's, and other various big weapons firing at the enemy position,a nd one is then told that four times the firepower would be used in a real combat situation.

Even scarier when you think thatw as the Army. Imagine what Royal would do :P