Army halts plans to ditch 'Be the Best' slogan

Rover

Reaction score
I wonder how much could be saved by sacking the Army’s Executive Committee!
;)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The problem with advertising straplines is you saddle yourself with a millstone.

Although many in the Corps didn't like the "99% Need not apply" as it put people off, it certainly still entices potential Royal Marines (10 years after it was last used).

The danger with scrapping "Be the Best" could be interpreted as "We'll take anyone nowadays".

The prize though, goes to "Join the Royal Navy. Feel a Man". :D

Chelonian

Reaction score
The problem with advertising straplines is you saddle yourself with a millstone.

The slogan 'Be the best' is insipid and vacuous rather than "elitist" and "non-inclusive". Perhaps more appropriate to a special needs educational institution.
But yes, ditching it creates the inevitable backlash of synthetic outrage.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Getting fed up with reading the term inclusive in military articles everywhere I look. The military isn’t inclusive, and that’s part of the reason for its performance on operations.

And even if we wanted a more “inclusive” logo, how is a union flag more inclusive than crossed swords? Are swords not inclusive?

Also, the new defence secretary seems to be the breath of fresh air and common sense that we have needed. Long may it continue.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The slogan 'Be the best' is insipid and vacuous rather than "elitist" and "non-inclusive". Perhaps more appropriate to a special needs educational institution.
But yes, ditching it creates the inevitable backlash of synthetic outrage.

Agreed.

I heard this on the news and was preparing a rant for the forum.

What annoyed me most is the fact they said it’s elitist, utter BS. It’s turd but it’s not turd for that reason.
And anyway, even if it was, what’s wrong with that?
Everyone wants to be a good soldier, the worst insult is to be told your a crap soldier.
You work to be in the best section, in the best platoon, in the best Company etc etc etc.
It’s tribalism and Espirit de corps. The very selection process isn’t inclusive. FOR A REASON.

What’s next? Can’t be aggressive in case we upset everyone?

It’s an utter shambles. All this pink and fluffy, inclusive, androgynous sh!t, lacking any aggression, personality or actual banter.

Getting increasingly *text deleted*ing threaders with this *text deleted*.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What you need to watch is the “market research company”

They are paid to find something, so they are going to find it.
And it’s usually some sh!t company like mindfarm or some equally pretentious modern art style sh!t.

No doubt some officer has shares in it too.

How about asking the lads in the army, rather than a bunch of lefty civvies outside Starbucks, choking down a granola bar.

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Agree with you TPA. But your tirade against oaty bars and decent chain takeaway coffee is too far:D

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Agree with you TPA. But your tirade against oaty bars and decent chain takeaway coffee is too far:D

Starbucks is gash. Don’t you dare tell me you drink that estrogen infested soy milk.

Get yourself to your local business and support local coffee shops.

Flapjacks are acceptable.

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Starbucks is gash. Don’t you dare tell me you drink that estrogen infested soy milk.

I am a Cafe Nero man myself but I always only get black coffee. Cmon the cakes at Starbucks are dece mate...
Any fool can live uncomfortably :D;)

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

I’ll have it be known, that I actively support a British Coffee Company, that is run by ex booties and I think Paras to the point I even wear the T shirts and hoodies!!

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
But isn’t going to an independent coffee place an even more hipster thing to do?

Shots fired.

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Good lad. I haven’t bought anything yet but I plan to!

For those that don’t know:
https://www.contactcoffee.com/
Mate the coffees amazing and the clothes are a good standard!! I highly recommend this company!!

I’m impressed that you knew who I was talking about though as I didn’t even hint at the name of the company haha

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll have it be known, that I actively support a British Coffee Company, that is run by ex booties and I think Paras to the point I even wear the T shirts and hoodies!!

Contact Coffee Co. all the way.

There’s a new business about now “Tactical Tea”

I’m just waiting out now for “Hoofin’ Hot chocolate”

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Contact Coffee Co. all the way.

There’s a new business about now “Tactical Tea”

I’m just waiting out now for “Hoofin’ Hot chocolate”

Definitely mate, I’ve been using the company for about a year now and drink nothing else!! I’m also currently on a fitness plan with their partner company Stoic Conditioning too which seems to be working well for me!!

Not really a tea drinker so I haven’t seen much about that

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Is there any truth they were dripping feeding the new logo in by stealth, Daily Mail seems to think the new logo was going to be "This is Belonging"?

-banghead-

New Threads