Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Army Medical issues - discussion.

Discussion in 'Current & Military Affairs Discussion Forum.' started by PoS, Sep 6, 2016.

1. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

I thank you, I thank you.
    I thought this one might also fit from Shakespeare's King Richard III
    "An honest tale speeds best plainly told"

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Troska

Troska Member

How interesting

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

When returning from a few days offline, whilst on holiday, I can usually rely on an inbox that's jam-packed with questions that could've been answered on the forum.... and a thread, such as this, that still makes entire sense if post #1 is deleted.

The generic answer with regard the tri-service medical standards for entry - single incidences of self harm are not necessarily an outright bar to entry. Ongoing, prolonged or recurrent (chronic) mental health and physical health issues are a significant factor with regard medical suitability regardless of personal circumstances.

For anyone wishing to appeal the decision made, following a service medical examination, the evidence has to be provided by a relevant healthcare professional. The appellant writes a brief covering letter, simply stating they wish to appeal and enclose the qualified evidence in support of the appeal.

The tips? Brevity, facts (not your opinion) and avoid using 'I' more than once in the covering letter. You cannot appeal until you have formal written notice of a medical rejection following a service medical examination, detailing the specific reason(s) for rejection.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. PoS

PoS New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Yeah, I've got a straw hat on *text deleted*, not a busby, maybe I should have changed thinking hats. :)

When I find an editor who can work with this mess, whithout jumping out the tp floor of the publisher building, that might take some time. ;)

She as it happens. :P Wait, this is the internet, no girls on the internets.

Then goodnight sweet prince. (listens for snoring)

"More matter, with less art."

The second I should take to hart, or

"sit upon the ground and tell sad stories about the death of kings"

5. BoxSwallow

BoxSwallow Active Member

:eek: You could've fooled me! Last time I checked I was a girl!? :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. PoS

PoS New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Nope! You lie! I lie! It's all lies! We're 50 year old men in our moms basement and we know it!

SO SAYETH 4CHAN, ALL HAIL THE HYPNOTOAD.

;)

I have one more question, although the advice has been invaluable.

What the hell is hoofin? XD

• Disagree. Disagree. x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Standby for this post mate, you might not enjoy it, and I am trying to make it as unblunt and polite as I can. In tumblr speak, "trigger warning".

You are biologically male. You will continue to be male. Even after transition.

This is the internet where all kinds of users are on it. Let's not get tied up in this nonsense feminism rubbish about how the internet hates women.

And gender is not a "social construct". That nonsense is made up on tumblr. Gender in humans is an evolutionary trait. Some amphibians can reproduce A sexually, or in same sex envorionments can change sex to help continue the gene pool.

Humans have not evolved as such, you may "transition" but it won't change your Biology. You won't be able to bear children, have a womb or ovulate. By transitioning you are doing so for pyscological reasons, not biological, or evolutionary reasons, you will not effect the gene pool apart from removing your own genes, unless you have the fore thought to freeze your sperm.

Your argument of a social construct would hold water if humans had evolved similar to Amphibians, with the ability to change sex biologically. But we can't. So the only "social construct" is the notion that someone can change their biological and evolutionary traits to satisfy a pyscological problem.

We don't allow sociopaths to succumb to their mental issues.
    We don't allow depressives to succumb to their mental issues.
    We don't allow anorexics to succumb to their mental issues.
    We don't allow Body integrity identity disorder patients to succumb to their mental issues.

So why do we treat transgender as a medical issue rather than a pyscological issue? Allowing the mind to succumb to mental issues. Which even with fully transitioning, can lead to yet more
    Pyscological issues?

I have been wanting to debate this issue for quite some time and I eagerly wait your response and I hope we can have a grown up debate and talk about it without it turning into a tumblr style mess.

Remember, the step to normalisation is for people to not be afraid to ask questions, and to ask questions we can seek answers that can be beneficial to both of us.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  8. REX13

REX13 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Sniiiiiippppppeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr!!

9. PoS

PoS New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I'm not pinned yet, mate. ;)

Okay, Pigdy, I'll play your game, let do this, give me some time to respond. :)

10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    There's no game to play. I genuinely want to know. I have tried debating it before but it gets shot down in a hail of insults and lack of coherent arguments.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ryko

Ryko Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I think the reason trans is treated differently to other mental issues is that there is actually a solution that can work. Although I often think to myself if someone has body dysmorphia they are treated psychologically not physically. I've read that the most common type of body dysmorphia affects a persons left leg for whatever reason. However the answer hasn't been clinically accepted to be to remove the leg.

So if that is the case it begs the question 'is gender change the correct answer'. And I suppose if it has clinically been shown to help people then maybe we should view other mental illnesses that are similar to gender dysphoria in the same way i.e. that the answer may be in physical change.

But I will say I do think we are now moving into a society where gender change can be done at the click of a finger and suddenly you're a new gender and agree with TPA that that may not be the answer for everyone. Many people do regret their change. Didn't Ruby Rose recently say she once wanted to be a boy but as she got older she realised she wanted to be a woman. Sooooo it leaves a lot to question.

I think it's right that people who want sex changes undergo intensive psychological evolution because as TPA says if someone has depression or psychopathic tendencies other mental illnesses they are not aided in their goals, which may be suicide or murder respectively.

The argument that genders are social constructs actually originally comes from gender roles rather than biological structures. It has been twisted to fit this argument. I agree that the idea of gender roles is totally archaic but the fact is biological gender is not a social construct because it is there, it exists in the physical realm, we aren't given our gender by society we are given it by our own biological make up.

So should gender dysphoria not be treated as a mental disorder rather than a phsycial issue because end of the day even if you are convinced gender is a social construct is it not a psychological issue that makes you believe that the gender you have been given is incorrect?

• Like Like x 3
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

An interesting thread, although some posts are a bit cryptic as has been alluded to by others. Stating the blinking obvious here but self identity perception is about as complex as it gets. Almost by definition it is difficult to discuss the topic objectively because it is inherently subjective.

13. PoS

PoS New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    First off let me say I'm genderfluid so I'm not 100% on or the other, and I don't really pay much attention to it. so I might not have your average trans perspective.

Biologicly, i'm not male, Biologicly I am XY not XX or XXY or XYY (the last two are intersex people, who often have 3 chromosomes.)

But these are a classification, my Y chromosome is likely longer than yours, it could even be classified as a short X, the fact of matter is, we can change DNA, we just can't change it all yet, it's very simple, insert a chemical bound to the DNA chain you want to destroy, and another to rebuild that section with the chain you want, it's how we made rats that glow in the dark, however we can't change DNA of complex organisms all at once, which basically means you have two organisms with different DNA connected, causing the same problems as transplants,
    and we don't know how the strings (the bits that hold the stand together either side) affect us, we only discovered that they do in 2013.

(Digressing here, but if we talk about the future, we're best going with cloning, a new body can be grown with moderate ease in a quarter of the time (so for a 20 year old one, 5 years), as we merely need to pump with the right chemicals and supply it with the nutrients to have it grow faster, it's the brain that's hard, the first head transplant was completed this year, although it's too early to tell if it's a success. further more, you can edit a single chromosome using the same method during the embryonic processes, them all one needs to do is transfer the persons mind into the new host, like moving a computer hard-drive, the blood brain barrier means that host rejection would be low risk, as this acts like a placenta, rendering immunosuppressants unnecessary. But this is a digression)

If you *text deleted* say I have 1 and 3/4 sex chromosomes, I'm fine with that, it's true, but male has inferences I don't like, and it's not based on what genitals I have, because 1 out of 100,000 women don't have a functioning vagina, that means out of 50,000,000 women 50,000 don't have vages, (they're not infertile, they literally don't have the parts) and then there are intersexes.

Scientists have successfully swapped the DNA of male and female gammes, placed wombs in trans women, and one of whom has borne a child to term, so I could possibly could, they've also grown wombs and uteri of xx women in labs (this is a form of cloning, an a replacement organ experiment, within thirty years, unless you need an organ due to a DNA based illness, it will likely be a functioning version of your own, it would also allow us to create blood systems, a pump, blood-maker (a large flat slab of bone), artificial blood stream to supply the bone, and electronically control them, introducing nutrients, chemical signals and O2 into the blood-stream to keep the process going, and drain the marrow's output to be used as donor blood).

For now, we have chemicals, in the form of pills, creams, etc, which can't change the DNA, but can have the same effect, it we can turn standard tissue mucosal, plastic surgery for bone and cartilage, and frankly, downstairs doesn't bother me, will I change that up? Sure, will I let anything get shoved in a yellow medical waste bag, heck no. My face bothers me, the lack of other things bothers me, but yeah.

Now DNA and biological issues aside, gender, is a social construct, here's why:

Nature was stupid until she made us, hell she was stupid when she did, but we got clever.

Nature created desire, desire can be mutual or one sided, natures problem to the latter problem is simple: Rape.

In this context, rape isn't the hanging or castration (wince) inducing hate-mob fest we have now, why? Again natures dumb, kill your rivals, *text deleted* the girls, make the kids, keep living, rinse, repeat.

Back when we were little more than animals, before empathy, the strong survived, it's why men are stronger than women, because that's how we evolved, if a man can catch a woman, he can take her, then he can go find another, the likelyhood is, humans likely had a society like deer, a buck impregnates multiple roes, and they stick with him until they carry to term.

Now with humans omnivores, this complicates matter, but in short, women being weaker than men is better for humanity, now that rape is bad, as it is, and we have empathy, they'res no need for women to be weaker, and although they are, now that it's not key for their survival, likely, they'll catch up, if men let them (the women of sparta were feared rightly and considered to be the equal of an Athenian 0r Corinthian man, and were certainly superior to other greek women from birth, as the social situation and confined breeding within a single city-state would progress their biology beyond what was normal for women during sparta's history), but by the time we had this social scenario where rape was "wrong" say.... 1900 to be safe (in Rome it was only "rape" if your victim outranked you, and medieval europe was a shitshow, and the post-renaissance situation in europe was inconsistent until about then, as up till 1870 you could pay to "enter" a woman's prison cell -a group affair 10-50 inmates per-room- and no-one cared what you did once you were inside.)

I'm focusing on europe and her developed empires for this, as frankly the east is very different in philosophy, and america and africa mainly undocumented until the empires came, and superstitious mumbo-jumbo or not, religion is an important part of our heritage, no matter how much that embarasses annd shames some of us.

So by this time, women have been solidified by religious and social roles as inferior, due to that initial difference which no-longer has a place, and men have been painted as warriors and leaders, where as women were not, the man is the leader of the house, etc, now this is re-enforcing the social construct which itself is based on the evolutionary imperative, but because that imperative has changed due to the sophistication of our development, with disablement, and weakness no-longer a primary limiting factor to pro-creation, neither do we need such defined roles, or indeed to stick to the qualities traditionally associated with us, I'm not saying if you ask 100 boys of age 2 who have never had a toy before if they want a bear to cuddle, or a ball to kick, that 70 of them won't choose the ball, 10 of them the bear. (while the other 20 soil themselves or have a tantrum over not being able to have both.) because their personality is informed by behaviours and by chemistry, and their chemistry has been influenced by their evolution.

But I have no interest in living a short, unpleasant, brutal life motivated by fear, the kind which nature would have had us live, and I believe if we can eliminate the behavioral factors (social situation) to create a neutral ground our evolution will follow suit, we can inform it, direct it, and make a better humanity, a better race, a better life, we can in time, adapt humanity to create a more even playing field where women can fight, and men love, and eventually eliminate gendered words entirely.

The problem isn't my biology, it's how people expect me to act because of it, what they expect me to look like, and how they expect me not to pursue personal betterment via augmentation and chemical alteration simply because it wasn't possible 100 years ago.

We can change whatever we like, but to many old, fearful, terrified reactionaries stand in our way, screaming that it's unnatural, that we're killing children, that we're corrupted by the enemy of their imaginary friend in the sky, when they have no evidence or proof, screaming stranger danger at a new teacher, terrified of the unknown, and unlike them, we're willing to respect the wishes of others, don't like GM food, din't eat it, don't want a cloned organ, don't ask for a transplant within six months, don't want this or that, don't get one.

The entire issue, to me is simple, people need to stop feeling entitled to anything that isn't part of them or owned by them, I don't have a family because they felt entitled to the right to my name, entitled to tell me what I can be,

Give me the marrow of an O type, £2 billion, and stem cells, in a lab, and I'll make sure there's never a blood shortage again after 5 years, it really is that simple, but someone somewhere is making a fuss, and for someone reason, we're still listening to people objecting to choice.

We do let people succumb to those issues, we make them wait for years for help, we offer them help, and they can decline, the difference is we don't let their issues affect others other than via their taxes, and frankly if we live in a medical tax system society we should be offering help better, faster, and to everyone.

If people didn't expect me to deal with their issues because I "trigger" them because men should be men" or because I'm a woman they think is too ugly to sleep with, or they're so scared of seeing another cock, they want ever woman to have a vajayjay, whatever, we wouldn't have a psychological issue, we'd have a body issues, it'd be I *text deleted* look like that, not *text deleted* I'm the wrong, X Y Z, frankly, this isn't my damn problem, this is someone else's, I'm cool with whatever, it's the people, the sort of people who get upset if the person who moves in next door isn't the same colour as the one who moved out, are the ones making the problem, and right now, the best solution for me, unless I get an army and licence to shoot whoever I don't like, is to blend in, and this is how we do that, it's like capitalism or democracy, it's a bad solution, but it's the best we have right now.

If you're asking, why not change the mind, not the body, then my response is this;

Your mind is you, and even if you're an *text deleted*, it's who you are, trans issues, aren't because they're ill, it's because everyone keeps telling them they are, that they can't act this way, look this way, because it's "not what people like you should do" if we didn't do that, and get so attached to how thing are, or used to be, we wouldn't have trans issues, we'd just have people swapping out genitals and chests for what they prefer, and solving chemical imbalances.

If I go to a different doctor, and say I have a problem, I suspect they'll tell me I need testosterone because I don't have enough, but that doesn't cause a problem for me, I wouldn't have any personal problems with myself, if people didn't keep telling me I was a problem, and frankly, when people do that, I *text deleted* kill them all, it's why I'm keeping what I currently have, it' why I don't take questions unless someone asks nicely (like you did) if they can ask first, because *text deleted* that noise, is it part of my personality, yes, is it central enough for me to look up from whatever I'm doing on the train to deal with some idiot with no idea of what personal space is? No. Frankly when someone shouts at me, or tries to make me uncomfortable, or interrogates me over it, they just slapped me, it hurts slightly, but I'm more pissed over them thinking that I don't have better things to do other than talk to them, personally, if I didn't have such a strong sense of allegiance (i.e. did't give a damn about country, crown etc) I'd have killed someone by now, I'm a nice person, but that sure as hell doesn't mean I'm a good one.

The trans thing comes about because we follow our desires and people attack, outcast, or chide us for it, that where this issue comes from, at least, for me.

I could get at least 20 people imprisoned if you gave me two people to act as witnesses and a few drones with operators to follow the perpetrators home, and that's only one side, the other side is we're indoctrinated to believe this set of people look and act this way, and another this, because of that, when someone wants to act or look like the other group, we tell them they are the other group, other than "theirs" we make a problem for those who don't fit into that, it's the same with racial segregation, it's a problem that we created based on biological generalisations.

It's like expecting someone born in pakistan to stay there and be loyal to them, they probably will, but it doesn't mean they won't move, or change their nationality.

If I'm honest, we should be giving everyone a £50,000 budget to change their appearance if they want, because limiting it to just trans people, is unfair.

Let me give you another perspective, cross-dressers or rather those who identify as that, rather than someone just wearing some material to cover their ballz which happens to be long and open at both ends, now I find it *text deleted*in creepy, but generally they do it for two main reasons, one: To rebel against society, because they don't like what they've been told about work, race, class, income, whatever and because they don't like that they attach onto this as it's something from their perspective they can do something about, or so they feel "bad" like their misbehaving and they like that feeling, or because they feel they're sticking it to the man, in way that doesn't involve punching their boss, etc, alternatively it's degradation, this is number two, which is they feel inadequate so they address this by pretending to be part of a group which is "less" than their perceived position.

Why an I telling you this? Because this is an example of how people think about this stuff, and hopeful it sheds some light on that, because it's like children, people are weird about their children, their weird about their bodies in the same way, and other peoples bodies, it's prejudice and expectation, and it's unreasonable, but because people have that expectation, some people decide to be dickheads, and frankly need decked.

But because this is a group expectation, those who are selfish and expect what they expect to be only what they expect, and because it's expected by everyone,t hey use this as justification for attacking those who aren't what they expect, or want, when what they want is irrelevant.

I hope this post has been insightful to you, I'm not particularly academic so although I can talk about history and politics at length and make sense, when it comes to philosophy, I get a bit lost in my thoughts.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 2
  14. Troska

Troska Member

An interesting thesis

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  15. boogey96

boogey96 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Actually by your numbers it would be 500 in 50,000,000. Bit off there...

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. PoS

PoS New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I'm *text deleted* at typing numbers, should be one in a thousand. >.< Soz

17. boogey96

boogey96 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    After attempting at deciphering that ^ I'll be sticking with my original opinion of your posts

18. PoS

PoS New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    You are of course entitled to have your opinion respected.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  19. REX13

REX13 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    PoS... What regiment are you aiming for? I'm sure REME would love you...

Otherwise I believe you'd be a risk of being fragged!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

With respect, that's not a helpful comment whatever one's opinion on the posts of others.