Army Medical Question

Ashyy

Reaction score
Im TMU till June due to asthma which in my opinion never had (was never officially diagnosed, never had the proper blue inhaler, never been diagnosed weezing nor had an asthma attack even though through out when i had 'asthma' I was one of the fittest at school, bleep test/cross country and played football since a kid and did alot of high intensity workouts/cardio)
My point is that when I saw the doctor at capita she said that the medical for the army is easier and reckoned id have a better chance of passing it due to the way its led out. Is there anyone I can speak to that would be able to confirm that? Or is there anyone that I could get in touch with?

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm TMU till June due to asthma which in my opinion never had (was never officially diagnosed, never had the proper blue inhaler, never been diagnosed weezing nor had an asthma attack even though through out when i had 'asthma' I was one of the fittest at school, bleep test/cross country and played football since a kid and did alot of high intensity workouts/cardio)
My point is that when I saw the doctor at capita she said that the medical for the army is easier and reckoned id have a better chance of passing it due to the way its led out. Is there anyone I can speak to that would be able to confirm that? Or is there anyone that I could get in touch with?
I would get in contact to your ACC to confirm that (ACC = Army Careers Centre)

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
No harm in chucking in a application for the Army, though you're only TMU and its only till June so if you're considering tapping out at that I'd ring the Army Careers centre anyway ;)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'm TMU till June due to asthma which in my opinion never had (was never officially diagnosed, never had the proper blue inhaler, never been diagnosed weezing nor had an asthma attack even though through out when i had 'asthma' I was one of the fittest at school, bleep test/cross country and played football since a kid and did alot of high intensity workouts/cardio)
If never diagnosed with asthma, not prescribed inhalers, nor ever suffered from an asthmatic wheeze, it begs the question why a GP would randomly decide to record a medical condition otherwise and perhaps prompts reasonable grounds to appeal.

The medical standards for entry with regard asthma are tri-service and whilst the AFCO medical examiner may ill-informedly suggest different standards apply, for the sake of eight months, I'd be inclined to advise anyone to adopt a "State of Mind" viewpoint on the real reason they aspire to join the Royal Marines.

If the career aspiration is just based on the path of least resistance, possibly it's just karma.

Ashyy

Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker Would you advice an appeal? How long does one take and how do I go ahead with it? I feel like I would have a high chance passing.
I was just wondering as it was on my mind.
And yeah Ive always been in limbo with PARAs and Marines. Theres a few threads I've posted regarding the two. Always wanted to join the Military and a good one at that, never been the one dedicated to a single regiment like some lads.
Cheers

drgraphics

Reaction score
I got medically deferred from the British Army for an inhaler I was prescribed which wasn't for asthma and there was no evidence to suggest I've had symptoms for the past 4 weeks, however was told to re-apply when I am 20. I've put in an appeal myself and once I hear back, I'm then applying for the royal marines.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do buddy. It's a tough road but keep your head in the game and know what your end goal / what you want is. All the best buddy.

Ashyy

Reaction score
I got medically deferred from the British Army for an inhaler I was prescribed which wasn't for asthma and there was no evidence to suggest I've had symptoms for the past 4 weeks, however was told to re-apply when I am 20. I've put in an appeal myself and once I hear back, I'm then applying for the royal marines.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do buddy. It's a tough road but keep your head in the game and know what your end goal / what you want is. All the best buddy.
Cheers mate and yourself! Get there in the end ay -yawn-

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'm TMU till June due to asthma which in my opinion never had (was never officially diagnosed, never had the proper blue inhaler

My bold.
Our personal opinions are of much less importance than what has been recorded formally in our medical records. And not being prescribed an inhaler does not automatically exclude a diagnosis of asthma.

Consider making an appointment with your GP to ask him or her to explain to you the circumstances of your diagnosis. Whatever the outcome you will then have a clear idea of what steps you might next wish to take. Good luck.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker Would you advice an appeal? How long does one take and how do I go ahead with it? I feel like I would have a high chance passing.
I was just wondering as it was on my mind.
And yeah Ive always been in limbo with PARAs and Marines. Theres a few threads I've posted regarding the two. Always wanted to join the Military and a good one at that, never been the one dedicated to a single regiment like some lads.
Cheers
If you can produce the evidence that you've not been diagnosed with asthma, as stated by @Caversham above, have decent peak flow readings, never been prescribed an inhaler etc., then it is difficult to imagine why you were knocked back, to be honest as something must have been recorded somewhere. What did you or your GP write or say that caused this setback?

Get the evidence verified by a letter from your GP and submit it with a covering letter stating you wish to appeal on the grounds you believe you were incorrectly deferred at due to a misdiagnosed condition and enclose the supporting evidence for review. Timescales usually vary a bit but two to four weeks is about right.

Good luck.

drgraphics

Reaction score
Another thing that would be good if you were to do an appeal. Get your GP to do a spirometry test to test your lung formality / how much air you lung's can provide. This is very good for the appeal in which provides evidence that you have a high lung formality etc. My GP did this with me and was sent off with my appeal. Basically a PEAK flow test.

Latest posts

New Threads