Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Army Officer Initial Interview tomorrow - current affairs knowledge

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by jkaratekings, Mar 10, 2019.

1. jkaratekings

jkaratekings New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Hello,

So I am hoping to be joining the Parachute Regiment as an officer. I have an initial army officer interview tomorrow on Skype.

One of the topics that will come up is current affairs knowledge. I read the news often and have been doing some research for the last couple of days but I am unsure what would likely come up.

I am wondering what people on this forum would think are big current affairs topics for the UK at the current time and so what is likely to come up? I have done quite a bit of research into knife crime which I think is a big current affairs topic in the UK at the minute so I have lots of information for that if it comes up.

I know this is a Royal Marines forum and not a Para/Army forum but this is the most useful forum in my opinion and everyone on here usually seems very happy to help.

2. Collieryboy

Collieryboy Member

The relationship between Russia and the west. The Syria situation. China and Japan's dispute. Migrant crisis. Brexit. The use of cyber attacks and bots as propaganda. Isis. Palestine. There's many but I would think that the want to see that you have a broad interest in current affairs and have a good understanding of the world situation and geopolitics.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Polo

Polo Member

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Off the top of my head, other topics might include:

1. BREXIT particularly its impact on Northern Ireland
    2. Daesh migrants wanting to return to the UK
    3. North Korea
    4. China and its influence
    5. Russia and its influence
    6. Female infanteers

Knife crime is certainly in the news. Oddly I haven't yet heard of any plans to appoint a 'Car Tsar' to address the apparently acceptable issue of the five people who daily die on UK roads in road traffic incidents year after year.

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
  5. westy

westy Well-Known Member

6. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

Didn’t fancy being a real officer ;)

Only joking mate best of luck

7. StrSam

StrSam New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    On a similar note - what news outlet do you guys gets your military news from? You don't know what you can and can't trust these days o_O

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Agreed. As far as general news goes I'm a believer in accessing diverse sources: BBC, Russia Today, Fox News, The Times, Daily Mirror, Private Eye, Daily Telegraph, The Guardian, Momentum Newsletter, Daily Mail, New Statesman, The Economist, etc. All have both an editorial and an ideological bias. Nibbling at them all arguably allows one to form a reasonably balanced view.

BBC World Service radio doesn't do 'bite sized' dumbed-down features but its quirky focus on sometimes obscure international issues is perhaps unique for a mainstream, publicly funded broadcaster. Where else will you hear a one hour insight into West African tribal politics?

The station also broadcasts Stumped which might be the world's best international cricket discussion show. Saturday mornings at 0232. :eek:
    Also available here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02gsrmh

• Like Like x 1
  9. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Don't get too wrapped around the axle over current affairs for your initial interview, particularly if you follow the news. Focus on why you want to join the Army in general and the paras in particular. Also, why would you make a good officer, any leadership experience?

Going forward, would always recommend the economist. If you read that weekly and listen to the today programme on the radio you will not go too far wrong. If you prefer newspapers, I would recommend either the Telegraph or Times would be your best bet.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Ill help anyway I can theres quite a few potential paras on here.

Try get a knowledge of Josh leakey bryan budd H Jones and John Mckay. 4 most recent VC winners especially Lt Colonel H Jones could use links from his courage and leadership decisions to how you wish to be.

11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

*Sgt Ian McKay VC.

12. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

My bad

13. jkaratekings

jkaratekings New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Thankyou all for your help.

The interview went well and I am onto the next stage of the application process (which is unfortunately the medical so i'm expecting some Capita problems, sigh).

• Like Like x 3