Army Officer or RM OR

boarder34

Reaction score
Hey guys. Apologies, I know this comes up a lot and I have read extensively on the topic.
I have wanted to return to the corps more than anything else since being medically discharged last year. I have tried doing a few things on civvy street but nothing captures my attention like the forces do. The dilemma I have now is that I have been told I can't join the corps as an officer until 2022 due to how many potential officers are in the recruiting pipeline. I do not think I want to wait that long as I will be 25, nearly 26 by the time I start the batch. So, I am a bit stumped by what I should do because I think I want to be an officer, but I do not want to wait 2 more years. Yes I might make the batch for 2022 but if I do not I will have wasted 2 years of my life waiting around for something that ultimately didn't happen.

I am considering the army and I have an application going (I've been told I can get to Sandhurst by May 2021), but I am not sure it is what I'd like to do after having my mind set on the corps for the past 10 years of my life. Although 29 commando sounds very interesting, but I don't think you get to spend very long in the unit as an officer (please correct me if I am wrong)? I just started reading Johnny Mercers book which should shed some light on being an officer in 29. I do think I want to be an officer however, I am worried that my fixation on the corps might be shooting my officer aspirations in the foot.

I am trying to decide between joining the army as an officer or joining the corps as one of the lads. I think I want to be an officer but I also am not sure if I want to sacrifice my dream of being in the corps by joining the army. I know I want to lead but my current indecisiveness is creating a storm in my head that keeps me up at night because I cannot decide what I want. I know only I can make the decision but I would love to hear what you guys think.
Sorry if this is mega chad.
Cheers!

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
For some reason you’ve typed your message inside a number of quotes. I’ll try and fix it for you so it is easier to read.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Two questions from me

1) Why do you want to command and lead soldiers in the British Army ?

2) Why do you want to be a Royal Marines Commando ?

This is just to drill into your motivation and ultimately help you answer your own question.

Edit to add- beaten to it by @SCOTTY6

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Something else to throw into the mix. Are you aware that you are required to attend Regimental Selection Boards at week 27 of your RMAS course?

You will list three unit preferences during your first Sandhurst term and attend a regimental board for each at week 27. Essentially these are an interview panel. There is no guarantee you will be allocated any of your preferences. It all depends on how well you perform at the Regimental boards, your academic, practical and physical performance on your commissioning course as well recommendations and appraisals from your instructors.

The Regimental board week is where you and the Army, but mostly the Army, determine where you are going to serve as a commissioned officer. You may very well think you are going to be an infantry officer but your results may dictate you are off to the RLC as a one pip wonder. Whatever your ambition be it the infantry, The Royal Engineers, The Army Air Corps, Royal artillery or Royal Military Police for example, will all have their own criteria at their own boards.

Competition for the likes of Para Reg Officer is incredibly very stiff. It ranks as one of the most competitive choices. If your only reason for going to RMAS is to become an Infantry platoon commander you need a long hard think about what your second and third choice might be if you don’t get one of the few infantry allocations offered to each intake. Just something else for you to mull over.

boarder34

Reaction score
@Johnny_Anonie @SCOTTY6

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to reply to both you guys at the same time.

1) Why do you want to command and lead soldiers in the British Army ?
I think it stems from a desire to lead and make decisions. I've had quite a lot of experience in leadership, although I never thought I would enjoy it as I have never been the loudest/confident bloke. For example, at uni I ran one of the biggest societies which required a lot of public speaking and organising the club with my committee. In terms of the forces, I want to lead and try to gain the respect of the blokes under my command. To be able to lead men into combat effectively and be known as a good platoon commander has got to be an incredibly rewarding experience. I'm not saying that I will be, just that I want to aim to be a really good leader who listens to his men and works in actions rather than words etc. Making a plan, presenting that plan and executing said plan has always been something I've enjoyed. I feel like if I had no input in planning things at a strategic level during my service that I would not be happy. I like making decision, that does not mean that I can't take orders from people but I do like a bit of independence and freedom to make my own decisions. That is something I feel that I would get more of as an Officer.

I know you can get leadership opportunities in OR, but I am worried that with my age at 24 I won't get those opportunities because I am slightly older than your average recruit? Once again, please correct me if I am wrong!

2) Why do you want to be a Royal Marines Commando ?
I want to be a Royal Marine because I want to be part of a unique organisation that has a unique culture within the forces. I want to be part of an elite group where everyone who is a member of that group has to pass some of the hardest military training in the world. I've heard it described as the best boys club in the world and I want a part of that. I want to be an elite soldier who is part of a unit that has a history of success and a stellar reputation (Not saying other units do not have that, I just like the corps the most!). I believe the corps matches and has all those things I've just mentioned. Furthermore, the FCF stuff sounds really interesting and exciting. It seems to me that it is an exciting time to join the corps with lots of opportunity.

On a more personal note, seeing the lads I was in training with getting their green lids made me realise how bad I wanted it. I felt like a failure because I wasn't there with them and did not make the cut due to my injury. Seeing them pass out has been a driving motivation to get back to Lympstone and get it done in some way or another.

boarder34

Reaction score
Something else to throw into the mix. Are you aware that you are required to attend Regimental Selection Boards at week 27 of your RMAS course?

You will list three unit preferences during your first Sandhurst term and attend a regimental board for each at week 27. Essentially these are an interview panel. There is no guarantee you will be allocated any of your preferences. It all depends on how well you perform at the Regimental boards, your academic, practical and physical performance on your commissioning course as well recommendations and appraisals from your instructors.

The Regimental board week is where you and the Army, but mostly the Army, determine where you are going to serve as a commissioned officer. You may very well think you are going to be an infantry officer but your results may dictate you are off to the RLC as a one pip wonder. Whatever your ambition be it the infantry, The Royal Engineers, The Army Air Corps, Royal artillery or Royal Military Police for example, will all have their own criteria at their own boards.

Competition for the likes of Para Reg Officer is incredibly very stiff. It ranks as one of the most competitive choices. If your only reason for going to RMAS is to become an Infantry platoon commander you need a long hard think about what your second and third choice might be if you don’t get one of the few infantry allocations offered to each intake. Just something else for you to mull over.
I am indeed aware of this, it is one of the reasons why I wanted to go down the RMYO route because I knew that if I made it into training and made it through training that I would pass out as a RMYO, rather than a education officer or something I did not sign up for.

I think it is a gamble but if you are a good bloke and work hard during your time at Sandhurst you can mitigate a lot of these things. I think?

Furthermore, I know it is important to get the ball rolling even before you are at Sandhurst with Officer visits etc. I've already have chats and interviews with a few regiments. Making yourself known to regiments and making a good impression is vital if you want to get your first choice. Obviously the needs of the Army will come above your own personal ambitions but you can plan ahead.

boarder34

Reaction score
I've edited out the formatting issue. You appeared to be quoting yourself and sometimes partially quoting yourself in the original. No idea how you did it. :)
Apologies - I also have no idea how I did that! Maybe because I wrote it out in word to begin with?

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@Johnny_Anonie @SCOTTY6

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to reply to both you guys at the same time.

I think it stems from a desire to lead and make decisions. I've had quite a lot of experience in leadership, although I never thought I would enjoy it as I have never been the loudest/confident bloke. For example, at uni I ran one of the biggest societies which required a lot of public speaking and organising the club with my committee. In terms of the forces, I want to lead and try to gain the respect of the blokes under my command. To be able to lead men into combat effectively and be known as a good platoon commander has got to be an incredibly rewarding experience. I'm not saying that I will be, just that I want to aim to be a really good leader who listens to his men and works in actions rather than words etc. Making a plan, presenting that plan and executing said plan has always been something I've enjoyed. I feel like if I had no input in planning things at a strategic level during my service that I would not be happy. I like making decision, that does not mean that I can't take orders from people but I do like a bit of independence and freedom to make my own decisions. That is something I feel that I would get more of as an Officer.

I know you can get leadership opportunities in OR, but I am worried that with my age at 24 I won't get those opportunities because I am slightly older than your average recruit? Once again, please correct me if I am wrong!

I want to be a Royal Marine because I want to be part of a unique organisation that has a unique culture within the forces. I want to be part of an elite group where everyone who is a member of that group has to pass some of the hardest military training in the world. I've heard it described as the best boys club in the world and I want a part of that. I want to be an elite soldier who is part of a unit that has a history of success and a stellar reputation (Not saying other units do not have that, I just like the corps the most!). I believe the corps matches and has all those things I've just mentioned. Furthermore, the FCF stuff sounds really interesting and exciting. It seems to me that it is an exciting time to join the corps with lots of opportunity.

On a more personal note, seeing the lads I was in training with getting their green lids made me realise how bad I wanted it. I felt like a failure because I wasn't there with them and did not make the cut due to my injury. Seeing them pass out has been a driving motivation to get back to Lympstone and get it done in some way or another.

You can still lead and command from Other Ranks.

Officers only get hands on for a short while as a Troop boss before going up the chain and being further from the door kicking stuff.

Some of the best teachers, leaders and instructors I’ve met have been Cpls. And everyone agrees it’s the best rank to be, you get to lead, instruct and command but are still seen as “one of the lads” and still get to kick down doors, take lives and shag wives.

boarder34

Reaction score
You can still lead and command from Other Ranks.

Officers only get hands on for a short while as a Troop boss before going up the chain and being further from the door kicking stuff.

Some of the best teachers, leaders and instructors I’ve met have been Cpls. And everyone agrees it’s the best rank to be, you get to lead, instruct and command but are still seen as “one of the lads” and still get to kick down doors, take lives and shag wives.
Yeah I can see that. How long does it normally take to reach the rank of Cpl? I don't think if I am honest I will spend my entire career in the forces, I know that I will probably leave once I have a family of my own.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I can see that. How long does it normally take to reach the rank of Cpl? .
Four to six years with good reports. There are those who are natural leaders who can do it earlier, but they are the exception, not the rule. I believe that there is a new rule that you cannot serve more than 12 years as a Marine, so the expectation is that you should achieve promotion before that.

Alan