Army Recruitment Campaign

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Cuzza22297, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Omega

Omega Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Totally wrong of course, but how things change compared to post #1...

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. Rover

Rover Moderator

BOOTNECKES.jpg

• Hoofin Hoofin x 5
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  3. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    just saw this post on arrse
    "And that is before the new recruitment advert went out, when people were apparently recruited on the basis of their mental/physical toughness, so I think people are over reacting to to the campaign and to the idea that anyone can/should apply.
    Emotional intelligence is an important quality, it's about being able to get the best from yourself and your troops and I would sooner be led by, work for, an emotionally intelligent boss. Admitting to sometimes being emotional is not a sign of weakness, it's just normal.
    The RM/paras demand high standards of fitness and demonstrable mental and physical endurance , before joining, but still have high drop out and injury rates and recruits cry when everything is falling apart. So I'm not sure current recruitment ads are getting the people who can succeed any better. So try something different? And give it a chance before ripping it to shreds because I think that kind of sniping at an organisation slowly erodes any confidence that anyone has in it. It's just a different recruitment ad, a small step in the right direction. It isn't going to render the army useless. Or solve the problems of retention overnight. But a few more emotionally intelligent staff might just help."

Look. this reaction is bs. The advert style is crap..... but..... the advert makes sense
    Ihave done some exercises that have had lads dropping out and when I did Cambrian a few moments where I was like why am I here in the middle of storm brian on a hill in Wales....
    In my basic I found the weapons handling test very hard because I have never been good with mechanics etc. I am a guy with essentially 6 a levels and am a student at a good uni. Its very hard to learn something from the bottom and I won't lie it made me stress about whether I should be a soldier or not and made me sweat and if stuff went more wrong I'd have burst into tears... yes I would have because in all honesty I am not a confident person. I am not afraid to admit this. I almost cried on the river crossing on Cambrian because it is scary and you have 50kg of kit and water is not your friend. I am a good soldier and my records would reflect this. Being emotional sometimes is part of the job and if you say it is not then you are a REMF and I don't care about your opinion. Maybe we will finally find some CoC that won't eff the regulars around and break their spirits.....

4. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

There's nothing at all wrong with "being emotional" having "feelings" and wanting a "little hug" to make everyone feel a little better.

However there is a time and place!! And as a leader or an experienced infantryman, then there absolutely needs to be an ability to park these feelings, and actually get on with the job of killing the enemy!!

Young soldiers look to the more experienced for example, and if I was to see my boss going around giving out hugs! Then I'm pretty sure that would have a negative effect on me.

Sometimes our soldiers will be asked to dispense the most horrific acts of violence!! With aggression and purpose!! I personally think we are opening ourselves up to more combat stress situations and more mental health issues after combat situations by adopting this approach? Soldiers need to be tough mentally and physically, to better cope with the "job description"

• Nailed It Nailed It x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I agree with you. That is all I can say.

6. prubdag

prubdag Member

What this ad is saying:
    If you're a woman, you can still be in a leadership role.
    If you're gay, you'll still be accepted as part of the team.
    If you're religious, you can still practice your religion.
    You don't have to be superman.
    You don't have to be a machine.

What this ad is NOT saying:
    Your personal priorities will always come before the team ('I was allowed to find a small area to quickly pray' not 'I got up durng stag and started loudly praying')
    That you'll be automatically favoured or promoted because you're a minority.
    That training will be any easier.
    That you're always going to be flouncing around expressing your feeling nfs to everyone that will listen.
    That the training team won't thrash you or expect you to complete tasks to the highest standard.

Selection will still be selection. Training will still be training. If they're tough enough, they'll get through, if not, they won't and will never be anything for seasoned soldiers and veterans to worry about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

I know this isn't your but from someone on Arrse,

Because there is zero examples from any civilisation throughout the history of this world that has ever shown this type of armed forces or forces personnel to have prospered.

Why not try something different indeed, let me give them a few to be getting on with and these are free from me having taken only a minute or so.

Better pay
    Better housing
    Better pensions
    Priority in healthcare and first in line for council housing when they leave
    Not locking them up for doing their job.

If recruitment is failing, they could try focusing on what the real problems are. Of course to tackle the problems would need them first to admit that these problems exist, which would highlight their own failures.

For them it's much better to invent problems that don't exist and try to come up with solutions for them.

Smashing the Army's reputation to those who would have joined already isn't going to help and will have a negative effect. Think back to the clip of the Australian Women in clip about joining the forces over there. Under no circumstances, no matter what changes the Australian Defence Forces brought in, she is never going to join.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Fully agree that to recruit, we should equally attract minority groups and that old prejudices and intollerance is no longer acceptable in society or the Armed Forces (which reflect society).

The old and bold bleating about no aircraft on aircraft carriers on recruiting websites is hardly helpful if we want get get the things to sea to complete preliminary trials in preparation for the increasing number of F35 aircraft we already have.

The Army ads are OK for the minority groups but they are more exclusive than inclusive to the majority of people they wish to recruit, to my mind. They should be simultaneously targetting and appealing to their primary recruiting pool in equal measure.

9. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

I don't think they know what their "Primary recruiting pool" looks like any more.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  10. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Same could be said of the Tory party, down from members 300,000 members to just over 70,000 in 15 years by throwing its own core members under the PC bus and the self hating brigade.

As much as I dislike Corbyn, he has shown just what going after your core can do.

• Like Like x 1
  11. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

The world we now find ourselves, is full of people who say "what they think needs to be said" instead of being honest about their opinions, they say what they think will win over opinion, instead of what they actually believe. I think the large majority of "little people" can see this? Have had it up to their eyeballs in the *text deleted*.

They've made their views about political correctness being more important than political effectiveness heard. They've made a protest. It's called

Donald Trump. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bear4236

Bear4236 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Coming from someone who is currently joining the armed forces I think I can safely say that the ad campaigns are everything.. I’ve researched the army and navy and all the regiments etc and I’d set my mind on the marines but also always kept the royal Irish and paras in my head too. And based on the ad that was posted here, and the 20 second ad I’ve literally just seen on the tv for the Royal Marines, I’m fairly confident the majority of people will go for the marines. The army ad, like a lot of people have said here, doesn’t appeal to the main pool of civilians who are looking to join, there’s no sweat, hard work and grit. Most people join because they think they’re tough enough, and the ad needs to show this, it’s okay to be politically correct with an ad and show it’s okay for emotion/gay/religion/gender but at the end of the day, the recruitment process hasn’t changed and the toughest men/women will succeed no matter what their background, if you have it in your mind, you can get there. That’s what they need to show in the ads.

• Like Like x 2
  13. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Ive just seen the practising faith one where they are on ex and they stop mid patrol and turn the radio off so he can pray.
    Dont know where to begin really.
    Everyones cammed up on patrol and hes essentially put a white aiming marker on his head. Exercise is meant to practise for real situations and when would you stop mid patrol on operations and turn a radio off just for someone to pray.

Id love to know how much was spent on this campaign.
    Imagine what they could have done instead. Maybe made the pension better, invested in making the blocks better and sfa better so people are happy been there and it not just been a means to an end.
    Id love to see someone do that on exercise and see how long it took begore they got chinstrapped
    I like most dont care what faith my mucca is

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. Cuzza22297

Cuzza22297 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    £1.4 million I believe

15. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The idea of a recruitment campaign is to highlight the lifestyle, the bonuses, the benefits, the job, the role. It grabs your attention.

If you want anymore information you look at FAQs or a quick google of Royal Marines brings up this site.
    Then it’s up to the lads and the recruitment to dispel fear and questions.

I for one am not for sugar coating things and I will be honest and tell you I have done some pretty bone things in the corps. But that’s like any job.

16. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    In the name of Thor’s cock. What?!

What an absolute waste of money, time and effort. Stop contracting this sh!t out to civvies who have no clue.

If any of the Navy or even the Army media teams want get in touch, I have a ton of ideas for recruiting.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  17. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Never have guessed that!:D

Yep! Told you so! :D:D

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  18. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The fact is though, that the mission comes first. Your ability to perform that mission comes first.
    The military is not and should not be a “modern employer”. It’s entire purpose and role is to close with and kill the enemy. It’s not a jolly, it’s not just a job, it’s not just to give anyone an easy job.

We also have a limited amount of funds and time to shape up civilians into prospected soldiers/marines.

That’s the whole point of selection process.

Now, no one gives a *text deleted* in the forces, of you are any of those. As long as you do your job.

The exceptions being transgender because we don’t know enough about the condition and statistically they have a huge suicide and associated mental health issues. And women in infantry roles. But these are another debate.

The fact of the matter is the Army isn’t holding its women accountable and is not portraying equality with separate fitness standards for a start. Get those sorted, and get society sorted and we may be looking at potentially allowing women into infantry roles in another 5 or 10 years.

Sadly society is going down the tubes, with testosterone levels in men decreasing 1% every year and Male infertility increasing every year, a lack of Male role models, an attack on masculinity and traditional Male values, means that we are pumping out an entirely different standard of man to what we used to.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Obligatory:

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. ThreadpigeonsAlpha