Army Reserve Officer to RMR

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Mountaineer, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer New Member

Hi all.

I am currently in the process of joining the Army Reserve as an Officer, having recently left the Regular Army after 12 years service as a rank.

In two years I will be moving to a new area to start a masters degree, and hopefully settle, and the closest reserve unit will be RMR. So looking ahead I was wondering if anyone knew the policy of tranferring from the Army Reserve infantry to the RMR as an Officer. I understand as an OR it would be day 1 week 1 of training, but I am unclear about the process for those who are already commissioned and have done the Platoon Commanders Battle Course.

Ultimately I would like to have joined the RMR from the start but the current travel distances and 18-months of starting from square one again made it less appealing than the Army Reserve infantry.

• Like Like x 2
  2. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Why not 131 CDO or 288 RA CDO etc?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

If you're from an infantry background, you're probably better off talking to the RMR to ask whether it's worth doing the RFCC in your current unit and seeing if they'll consider your adquals sufficient to transfer directly as a RMR Officer trained rank - they may not, but worth an ask.

First thing is to get in touch with your local RMR unit and see if they want/need an officer with your current skillset. If they do, it could work in your favour. If they don't, as you say, it's day one, week one as an RMR Other Rank recruit.

What happens is the transfer goes through your nearest AFCO(RN). They will need your Army med docs then gain approval to process. The approval will detail the terms of transfer, pay, rank, training required, etc. Effectively what will happen is you'll leave the AR on a Friday and be RMR on the monday.

I've seen green bereted Army SNCO's transfer into the RMR as trained ranks to fill specific billets, so assuming you were a Sgt or above, that may also be an option, then go for a Commission as an SNCO.

Best o'luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mountaineer

Mountaineer New Member

Thanks Ninja Stoker. I'll try and speak directly to the RMR det that I will be near. Like I said above, it will be another two years before I've moved (to uni) and will be near an RMR unit. I will endevour to get on the RFCC in the meantime. Long shot but worth a try!

Both those units are far from where I live, and both are Combat Support. To be honest I would aspire to join the RMR to do the actual role of an RM Reservist, rather than a Cbt Sp job that wears the same beret as them.