Arny's plan

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
started arny's plan last night with the gym session just wondering if anyone has found away to work it around a full time job? The running in the AM will all be done at 5:30am before work for me as I start at 8 but is a bit of a commute just wondering if anyone has any suggestions!

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
I’m sure that the man himself will be along later to advise you.

Good luck

Alan

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Take arnys plan and adapt it to suit you. For me I work a week of 0930-1830 and then a week of 0730-1630. On the former obviously I have time before and after work to train. On the earlier shifts not so much. What I'd do then is often put my longer/harder sessions in the evenings where I had more time. I would certainly recommend arnys "gym session" with weighted vest and also take his heavy hill Sprint session as well.

Point I'm making. Get all the toughest sessions in and just fit it around your life. In my opinion passing prmc is possible training once a day as long as it's a proper tough session although where you can double up, great. Maybe do double sessions 3 days a week at 530 and then the other days just a single session. Should work out enough mate

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Did the gym session last night it was great almost brought my dinner up on then AMRAP looking forward to the other sessionsthink I'm *text deleted* try my best and see how it Goes in the morning If I have to keep cutting them short I'll have to switch the gym sessions with the running but I hope it doesn't come to that

Chick3nHawk01

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Mr H Here it is
RM Arnys program
Ok lads here it goes

Mon Am. 2 x BFT. Mon Pm. APFA

Tue Am. 8 mile best effort. Tue Pm Gym

Wed Am. Rest.

Thurs Am. Hill sprints. Thurs pm. Swim

Fri Am. 5 mile at 8 min/mile. Fri Pm. Gym.

Sat. Rest

Sun Am. 8 mile best effort. Sun Pm. Gym.

Ok I'll explain the programme in detail for you to work it to suit you. Monday's, 2 x BFT will improve your speed, strength and V02 max for the 1.5 sprint and bleep test. The APFA in the evening is a single beep test, 1 set of press-up,sit-up,and pull ups. It is a test, and replicates the Wednesday of PRMC to the letter, focus on your form, for the exercises lads ok. Record you results lads, on the both 1.5m sprints, write them down so you can see your improvements.

8 mile best effort, speaks got itself really, my lad used an app called endomondo, plugged his headphones in. And the app would tell him how quick, he was running each mile.

Gym session. Get yourself a 10 kg weighted vest. Warm up 2000m in under 10 mins on a rower. Then do. To failure

3 x sets of weighted vest press-up
3 x sets of weighted vest sit up
3 x sets of weighted vest pull up.

3 x sets body weight press up
3 x sets body weight sit up
3 x sets body weight pull up

3 x sets of assisted press up
3 x sets of half sits
3 x sets of pull up

Then finish with, 10 min AMRAP of
10 squats
10 lunge
10 box jumps to 24"box.

Hill sprint day is a massive hang out lads.

Warm up. 10 mins at 8 min/mile

20 x 100-150m hill sprints. Walk down. Make fire the hill is steep as *text deleted*text deleted*text deleted* lads, do them in sets of 5, but on the second and third set, to do 10 squat, 10 lunge after each hill sprint. Walk round for 5 mins at the end, then run 3 miles as fast as you can using endomondo. Aim for 7:30 min/mile. You leg strength and muscle endurance, will sky rocket, helping you for bottom feild/endurance course.

Swim 100m x 8 sets. Rest 2 mins after each 100m effort

Ok lads, you can obviously start off at an easier level. Do 1 BFT on Monday, or start the long runs with a 5 miler.

My lads PRMC stats were

1.5m 8:45
Bleep test 12.1
Press-up 48
Sit ups 67
Pull up 9.

He found the bottom field/endurance course very tough, but very doable. He also said he felt quite strong across the board in all aspects of PRMC, and said this plan worked really well for him.

Any questions. Feel free lads. If you want yo direct them to my lad, please do so. He doesn't come on here much, so I can reply on his be half.

Good luck. And smash it next time round lads.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
started arny's plan last night with the gym session just wondering if anyone has found away to work it around a full time job? The running in the AM will all be done at 5:30am before work for me as I start at 8 but is a bit of a commute just wondering if anyone has any suggestions!
Get your running done the morning, and try and get at least 3 gym sessions in per week. They aren't long sessions, but the Hill sprints can take up to 1.5 hours with a 3 mile return. Consider doing the big sessions on weekends if you have time off there! Don't go putting yourself under too much pressure. Build gradually and be consistent!! That's the key to any successful training.

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Get your running done the morning, and try and get at least 3 gym sessions in per week. They aren't long sessions, but the Hill sprints can take up to 1.5 hours with a 3 mile return. Consider doing the big sessions on weekends if you have time off there! Don't go putting yourself under too much pressure. Build gradually and be consistent!! That's the key to any successful training.

Thanks Arny, onto the hill sprints tomorrow leaving at 5:30 might just be able to squeeze it in before work as I have to leave at 7:25, suppose it's all practice for quick showers and change at prmc! Would you suggest eating before the sprints or should I wait till after given its early?

The gym sessions should be ok in the evenings as I rarely do much in the evening other than train! I'm attempting your plan at full volume as I have done 8 milers before and have been pretty consistent with running 4/5 times a week for 5 months ish now.
I'm keeping record of the 8 mile times bft times and all RMFA times.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Brill! Ye eat, but only very small. A banana and a small bowl of cereal? You don't want to be feeling full. Eat well after. With the 8 miler as long as it's under or around an hour. Keep it at that. In the end it became a recovery run for my lad to go it in an hour. The BFT is always max effort. As well as the 3 mile return after hill sprints.

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Brill! Ye eat, but only very small. A banana and a small bowl of cereal? You don't want to be feeling full. Eat well after. With the 8 miler as long as it's under or around an hour. Keep it at that. In the end it became a recovery run for my lad to go it in an hour. The BFT is always max effort. As well as the 3 mile return after hill sprints.

I'll have to find a 8 mile route that's relatively flat as most routes i have ran are through fields and up hills which inevitably my house is at the bottom of every single one! I'll have to see how I do with the 8milers as I've not done one for a while due to training for prmc but 7:30-8min mile should be achievable.

A banana and a little bit of oats should be alright more than likely it's going to come back up after the sprints.

On the BFT should it be flat ground? Or does it not matter too much as you will run a beat effort both up and down the hills if you do a loop?

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Sorry for all the questions, on the gym sessions are all the sets to the bleep I did them all to the bleep yesterday bar the half sits jump pulls and knee press ups?

Chelonian

Reaction score
Just to add to the comment by @arny01 about early morning runs and breakfast.

Years ago while discussing the concept of 'fasted runs' (early morning run with an empty stomach) it was suggested that a pre-run small handful of raisins was a healthy compromise. Literally about twelve raisins.
It ensures that one's blood sugar level is adequate and it's a good, natural source of carbs. I combine the raisins with a banana as suggested by Arny.

But don't omit a 'proper' breakfast after your run. Sounding just like my old ma there. :)

Eafy

Reaction score
I've found that hill sprints have helped me massively, so don't leave them out! Do them outside if you can, in all weathers. It's very flat where I live, so have to use a treadmill unfortunately, but the improvement in my fitness has come on leaps and bounds!

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've found that hill sprints have helped me massively, so don't leave them out! Do them outside if you can, in all weathers. It's very flat where I live, so have to use a treadmill unfortunately, but the improvement in my fitness has come on leaps and bounds!

Yup got up and smashed them out at 5:30am looking like a complete nutter on the main road in the dark, then did my 3 mile run best effort felt good after it nearly saw my banana back up though!

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Years ago while discussing the concept of 'fasted runs' (early morning run with an empty stomach) it was suggested that a pre-run small handful of raisins was a healthy compromise. Literally about twelve raisins.
It ensures that one's blood sugar level is adequate and it's a good, natural source of carbs. I combine the raisins with a banana as suggested by Arny.

But don't omit a 'proper' breakfast after your run. Sounding just like my old ma there. :)

Yeah I went for a sachet of porridge and a banana seemed to do me well thanks for advice