As the UK tires of career politicians, the soldiers are returning to parliament

Rover

Reaction score
It is hard to exaggerate how deeply the public prefer a former soldier, especially one who has seen active service, to a former lawyer, special adviser or trade union official.

Waves of nausea shake the body politic. Theresa May’s limitations as a leader produce such feelings of revulsion that at frequent intervals a spasm runs through her own party, which seems about to spew her out. And yet she is still in office. For although May is considered deficient in leadership qualities, so are her rivals. If Jeremy Corbyn were a formidable parliamentarian, the Conservatives would have had to ditch her by now. But although Corbyn has the quality of having refused to play the careerist game, he is a feeble debater and has yet to humiliate May at Prime Minister’s Questions, least of all on the issue of Russia.

When looking around for someone who could replace May, or indeed Corbyn, a problem arises. Few in either the cabinet or the shadow cabinet are seen by the public as potential leaders. Most of them are regarded – to the extent that anyone has heard of them – as career politicians who have never done anything in the slightest bit brave or interesting outside politics. Taken as a group, they appear industrious, conformist, pallid, selfish and dull.

Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and Jacob Rees-Mogg are the most conspicuous contenders for the Tory leadership, but each has bitter enemies as well as admiring friends. While May has preserved a precarious unity by being weak, the fear is that one of the three Brexiteers might split the party by being too bold. What other possibilities exist? They are more numerous than one might think. One of David Cameron’s forgotten services to the Conservative Party was to increase the number of women and ethnic minority candidates who stood in winnable seats. Conservative MPs are more diverse than when he became leader in 2005, and it is not inconceivable that one of these recruits will in due course become leader.

Over the same period, an even more unexpected development took place. Three ex-soldiers who are seen as potential Conservative leaders were elected to parliament, and so was one who may go on to lead Labour. Their names are Rory Stewart, Tom Tugendhat, Johnny Mercer and Dan Jarvis.

To understand the significance of this, it is worth glancing at the history. Between the Duke of Wellington, whose last brief premiership was in 1834, and Winston Churchill in 1940, not one prime minister had served in the armed forces. From Churchill until 1979, every prime minister except for Alec Douglas-Home (debarred by illness) and Harold Wilson (a wartime civil servant) had served in the military in either the First or Second World Wars, and so had hundreds of MPs.

More on the link.......

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/03/uk-tires-career-politicians-soldiers-are-returning-parliament

Chelonian

Reaction score
Personally I consider Rory Stewart impressive on several counts. Not the least being his apparent understanding of the Middle East based upon his independent travels and diplomatic activity in post-war Iraq.
Regarded as being an effective MP by many of his constituents too, apparently.

Former Black Watch. Reminds me of a pony I once knew too.

Rory_Stewart.jpg

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
dan jarvis.jpg
Here is our MP, Dan Jarvis. Sorry @Chelonian to say that he is an Ex Para and SFSG officer and he doesn't do you guys proud. I've had TV's on standby with more processing power than this chap. Complete and utter waste of space. That's not just me either, other MP's describe him as being a bit vacant.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I don't mean to pick, but that's Eddie Redmayne isn't it?

Yes! It could be, couldn't it?
I've consulted my horse and she reckons that Rory acquired his teeth from a pile of sheep carcases at an abbatoir rather than from a pony.

Here is our MP, Dan Jarvis. Sorry @Chelonian to say that he is an Ex Para and SFSG officer and he doesn't do you guys proud

In fairness, regardless of cap badge, Dan Jarvis is probably too busy just now Googling the definition of who the Semitic races are to effectively deal with constituency issues.

My MP, Dr Sarah Woolaston, is nails in comparison. Even if she is a Tory. :(

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
With all the Anti-Semitism in the Labor party I'm still waiting for Jeremy Corbyn to clarify what he means when he talks about "nationalising" the railways. :D

Fake News

Reaction score
With all the Anti-Semitism in the Labor party I'm still waiting for Jeremy Corbyn to clarify what he means when he talks about "nationalising" the railways. :D

Best put £800 to one side in case you have to pay the courts for this gross offence.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Best put £800 to one side in case you have to pay the courts for this gross offence.

I better stop flipping off police aswell after this lad got 8 months prison for it! link. Questioning the Yorkshire Police priorities when the grooming gangs have acted with impunity.

sutanmaf

Reaction score
I Questioning the Yorkshire Police priorities when the grooming gangs have acted with impunity.
Always seems to be the Yorkshire police who are corrupt or do an awful job, miners strikes (but that was also the Met police), the Hillsborough disaster, and now ignoring the grooming of young girls.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I better stop flipping off police aswell after this lad got 8 months prison for it!

It might have been his laser jammer—which he subsequently attempted to destroy—which earned him eight months in chokey for attempting to pervert the course of justice.

But I confess that I find the notion of people being imprisoned for impoliteness a little bit attractive. :)

The Rochdale grooming scandal is replicated in Telford but the media's gone a bit quiet about the issue.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It might have been his laser jammer—which he subsequently attempted to destroy—which earned him eight months in chokey for attempting to pervert the course of justice.

But I confess that I find the notion of people being imprisoned for impoliteness a little bit attractive. :)

The Rochdale grooming scandal is replicated in Telford but the media's gone a bit quiet about the issue.

I'm aware of the case details and still think its a massive over reaction, I have also noticed that his 3 companies have gone into administration with his resignation as director, causing 35 staff to loose there jobs. But as long as justice has been served.

I thought the media outcry was fairly mute with the latest grooming scandal, the public are clearly appalled, and still giving the story traction. When the police fail to address sexual abuse on that scale out of the fear of being labelled racist it will continue to happen. But I digress...

doggle

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I consider Rory Stewart impressive on several counts. Not the least being his apparent understanding of the Middle East based upon his independent travels and diplomatic activity in post-war Iraq.
Regarded as being an effective MP by many of his constituents too, apparently.

Former Black Watch. Reminds me of a pony I once knew too.

Rory_Stewart.jpg

He is the only MP I have any respect and, indeed, admiration for. He's led a very diverse and interesting life and is a definite 'people person'.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm aware of the case details and still think its a massive over reaction, I have also noticed that his 3 companies have gone into administration with his resignation as director, causing 35 staff to loose there jobs. But as long as justice has been served.

I thought the media outcry was fairly mute with the latest grooming scandal, the public are clearly appalled, and still giving the story traction. When the police fail to address sexual abuse on that scale out of the fear of being labelled racist it will continue to happen. But I digress...

That’s racist. You bigot.

New Threads