Ash's PRMC diary

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
From Ash:

Ello guys, failed PRMC. My scores are as followed.

Run 10.40 (Failed PRMC because of the 10 seconds over)
Push Ups 60 (Was made to stop, had another 30 seconds to go)
Sit ups 76
Pull Ups 6
Bleep test 10.4 (or 10.5?)
Determination Tets + Gym Test 2 passed.

My advice: CV is the most important thing. When you're in the gym you have to sprint everywhere, if you're standing still and not to attention you have to double mark time, basically running on the spot with your knees coming up to your waist and you don't stop untill everyone is doing this correctly. Learn not to scratch, atleast 20 people were punished for scratching without permission.

Hardest part: Assault course! Everyone was hanging out the first time we did it.. Determination test and Gym Test 2 are quite tough and the only three you can't train for unless you have a very long field and a PTI that blocks out the sun as you stand behind him. If you can run6-10 miles comfortable you should crack it. Second hardest part.. Trying not to call my dad Corporal when he tells me to do something.

Easiest part: Gym Test 1 with the push ups, sit ups and pull ups were pi$$ and the bits of the determination test that involved push ups, sit ups and burpees were pi$$ too.

Have I been put off? No, I'm starting training Monday and I'll be on my next PRMC, soon as, it's only made me want it more and I loved the waking up at 5.45 to shower, *text deleted**text deleted*, shave, brush teeth, dry self, dress in suit, get to breakfast for 6.15, back at accomodation for 6.30 to clean.. Or as the Corporals say "As quick as humanly possible".

All I can say is run and good luck

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Bloody hell,
most of your scores look pretty good,
thought you'd have passed.

Fair play for keeping it up,
and good luck for your next PRMC.

Joe

RC

Reaction score
Is this the Ash who asked for his account deleting a few weeks ago ?

Rich.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Is this the Ash who asked for his account deleting a few weeks ago ?

Rich.

Ash i know you read this still.....and you can be a utter ass hole alot of the time. But i know you wanted it bad.....

.........DONT GIVE UP! Hold out till you get the second chance!

p.s. You should never have taken the piss out of me for failing ya fool! Ha ha

0.01%

Reaction score
Don't want to sound like some kind of PRMC / R.M's know it all but Ash is right when he says CV is VERY important. I was running the mile and a half back in 8.50 odd pre PRMC, and knowing I could run some more (after a brief recovery) after my 3 miles and warm up, felt I would cope well with PRMC. Well yeah I passed it, but it did surprise me (and a lot of others on my course) how tough the bottom field is at times. Sounds daft really because no matter how fit you are, you should be going at 100% and therefore hanging out. But when they say do not underestimate it, they really mean it lads!!

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hard lines pal, just crack on with the running and go back next time better, faster and stronger shows you really want it to and get on with training. have to let me know when your next prmc is as may be around same time as myself

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Don't want to sound like some kind of PRMC / R.M's know it all but Ash is right when he says CV is VERY important. I was running the mile and a half back in 8.50 odd pre PRMC, and knowing I could run some more (after a brief recovery) after my 3 miles and warm up, felt I would cope well with PRMC. Well yeah I passed it, but it did surprise me (and a lot of others on my course) how tough the bottom field is at times. Sounds daft really because no matter how fit you are, you should be going at 100% and therefore hanging out. But when they say do not underestimate it, they really mean it lads!!

I think I was on the same PRMC as you mate. At the end of the determination test, them bloody leg raises remember them? Jesus.. I thought it would never end.

Oh and agreed. CV fitness is the key. My upper body isn't the best. On my press-ups I only got 35!! I can usually do alot more but I just couldn't crack anymore out. But then again the Sergeant Major did deduct a few off me for crappy technique. And pull-ups I only managed 5. But the thing is I passed the run at about 9:04 and got around 12.9 on the bleep test and I passed.

0.01%

Reaction score
I think I was on the same PRMC as you mate. At the end of the determination test, them bloody leg raises remember them? Jesus.. I thought it would never end.

Oh and agreed. CV fitness is the key. My upper body isn't the best. On my press-ups I only got 35!! I can usually do alot more but I just couldn't crack anymore out. But then again the Sergeant Major did deduct a few off me for crappy technique. And pull-ups I only managed 5. But the thing is I passed the run at about 9:04 and got around 12.9 on the bleep test and I passed.

Yes mate we were on the same one. Them leg raises.......*text deleted**text deleted* me!! *text deleted* You're right, at one stage I was thinking he was going to keep us there for 10/15 minutes, thought me legs were going to fall off!

My upper body strength is quite good, but I do tend to struggle with Marine press ups for some reason....just getting the technique I guess. Ended up with 42, all though I did have a few that weren't counted for whatever reason. I was the same as you though fella, knew I could do more (in other parts, not just the press ups and Gym Test 1) but just couldn't reproduce it on the day. Combination of nerves and our bodies not being used to the lack of sleep maybe :dontaskme:

I'm trying to improve my CV as much as possible before R.T, know I will be looking back and kicking myself when it comes to running around for hours in the heat if I don't!

Aussie89

Reaction score
Hey mate bad luck with it but keep up the training and you will be able to crack it. Maybe you wil be on the same prmc as me when i eventually get my ass over there

good luck with it all mate and cheers for posting

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck for the next one then. Like you said *text deleted* be very CV fit, the best way to do this ISNT just going out running for 20 minutes or whatever. Have a look at some of my sessions I have detailed in teh training methods section, this is how I got fit for PRMC and it worked for me, i came 9th in the run back.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If I could run 4 Miles in 7 min miles would you class that as CV fit for PRMC?

0.01%

Reaction score
If I could run 4 Miles in 7 min miles would you class that as CV fit for PRMC?

I would say that you should be fine with that, because the 3 mile run is the longest period you are moving for, "non-stop." The bottom field lasts a lot longer of course and is constant exercise, but it is shorter sprints and you get your breath back (sort of) when doing the press ups, sit ups etc that they make you do at the end of each sprint, crawl etc. So CV wise it should be fine.

Obviously there is a warm up before the 3 miler, but this is nothing too strenuous and the 1.5 miles out is very comfortable so that should be ok mate. The green book says try and do 4-6 miles three times a week at that pace prior to PRMC as well, so the experts reckon you'll be alright!

I would say improve as much as you can though mate, it will only help in the long run. Most people on my PRMC were feeling it in their legs on the second day, so be prepeared for that. And by Gym test 2 you really start to hurt!

Good luck.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I would say that you should be fine with that, because the 3 mile run is the longest period you are moving for, "non-stop." The bottom field lasts a lot longer of course and is constant exercise, but it is shorter sprints and you get your breath back (sort of) when doing the press ups, sit ups etc that they make you do at the end of each sprint, crawl etc. So CV wise it should be fine.

Obviously there is a warm up before the 3 miler, but this is nothing too strenuous and the 1.5 miles out is very comfortable so that should be ok mate. The green book says try and do 4-6 miles three times a week at that pace prior to PRMC as well, so the experts reckon you'll be alright!

I would say improve as much as you can though mate, it will only help in the long run. Most people on my PRMC were feeling it in their legs on the second day, so be prepeared for that. And by Gym test 2 you really start to hurt!

Good luck.

Cool thanks matey, I'll keep at the CV and aim for 6 miles at 7 min miles. Do you remember what the assault course consists of? :eek:

0.01%

Reaction score
Cool thanks matey, I'll keep at the CV and aim for 6 miles at 7 min miles. Do you remember what the assault course consists of? :eek:

Yes mate, check this out..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kjXUQoW1HQ

Better than me trying to explain each bit!

You don't have to do the rope climb, so from 26 seconds in up to 1 min 40 is what you will do. Don't think it misses anything out, except showing you where you enter the tunnel and the crawl through it. All though it did seem like there were more obstacles when I was doing it so somebody may put me right.

Each bit is easy enough, long as you listen to the PRMC team's explination. They explain it very well and in basic terms. 3 tips I would give are;
1) Remember to keep your leg straight (left one if your right is your strongest) as you negotiate the rope. They tell you this but it feels un-natural at first, but you will fall off if it's not dead straight!

2) Two footed landings!! Again they tell you this but a lot forget, and you are then made to sprint back and re-do the bit you messed up. Extra phys is not a great idea.

3) Sprint between each obstacle. This is where you will get your time down so go all out.

Don't know if it's adrenaline that comes into play but when you go though each part as a practice it seems like you end up sapped of all energy and wonder if you can manage the timed run, but then it comes to your turn and you will just do it all with out thinking.

Good luck!

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yes mate, check this out..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kjXUQoW1HQ

Better than me trying to explain each bit!

You don't have to do the rope climb, so from 26 seconds in up to 1 min 40 is what you will do. Don't think it misses anything out, except showing you where you enter the tunnel and the crawl through it. All though it did seem like there were more obstacles when I was doing it so somebody may put me right.

Each bit is easy enough, long as you listen to the PRMC team's explination. They explain it very well and in basic terms. 3 tips I would give are;
1) Remember to keep your leg straight (left one if your right is your strongest) as you negotiate the rope. They tell you this but it feels un-natural at first, but you will fall off if it's not dead straight!

2) Two footed landings!! Again they tell you this but a lot forget, and you are then made to sprint back and re-do the bit you messed up. Extra phys is not a great idea.

3) Sprint between each obstacle. This is where you will get your time down so go all out.

Don't know if it's adrenaline that comes into play but when you go though each part as a practice it seems like you end up sapped of all energy and wonder if you can manage the timed run, but then it comes to your turn and you will just do it all with out thinking.

Good luck!

With the Leg straight thingy is this for the bit where your shimmying across the rope? Also on PRMC assault course do they make you kit-up before you do it?

0.01%

Reaction score
With the Leg straight thingy is this for the bit where your shimmying across the rope? Also on PRMC assault course do they make you kit-up before you do it?

Yeah when you are going across the ropes. You will start on a small rope, no more than 2 metres or so from the ground, progress to a higher one which is the first part of the high obstacles (first thing you do on bottom field) and the highest rope you crawl across is the one on the assult course. Still not very high, 15 feet at a very rough guess, so if you are falling you grab on and drop down safely. Easy!

You will be wearing boots, combat trousers, rugby top and a combat jacket. All is heavy when wet (which it will be by the determination test :biggrin:) so when doing the practice runs don't slip and get wet in water at the start of it, or in the tank under the moneky bars. Only makes things twice as hard, and you don't need that!

muzza8

Reaction score
a

Is there a certain point in the bleep test u have to reach 2 pass? Its hard to practise for a bleep test so im guessing if your cv is good then u should nail it....or am i wrong??

I can remember when i done my first prmc when i woz 17 (while ago now!!) and some boys were dropping out at 6 and 7,i woz just thinkin what the *text deleted**text deleted* woz the point in turning up!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Is there a certain point in the bleep test u have to reach 2 pass? Its hard to practise for a bleep test so im guessing if your cv is good then u should nail it....or am i wrong??

I can remember when i done my first prmc when i woz 17 (while ago now!!) and some boys were dropping out at 6 and 7,i woz just thinkin what the *text deleted**text deleted* woz the point in turning up!

Yep that's why there is now a PJFT, it used to be guys telling their afco's they could run 20 miles in under 10 minutes and thinking they could blagg it, I might include myself in that when I first started :doh::doh: