Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Aspiring Marine

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by TC97, Dec 25, 2016.

1. TC97

TC97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm TC, 19 and am currently counting down the days till I start RT in February. I passed my PRMC in November which was probably my biggest achievement to date and cannot wait to start. Having done A Levels you can guess the shock of the teachers when I revealed my intentions which thoroughly contrasted everyone else's university ambitions. However I've always done my own thing and intend to stick to this path.

TC

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. wellmemedmyboy

wellmemedmyboy Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Good luck mate
    From a Uni student starting AR training in feb too ;):D:cool:

When did you finish A levels?

3. TC97

TC97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Finished in June but I didn't start my application until July due to revision and I also underestimated the amount of time it would take to finish. All my mates going off to uni and being stuck at home was definitely a kicker and made my regret not starting earlier.

TC

4. wellmemedmyboy

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Well great work mate, merry Christmas and I wish you all the best. Get a good run in tomorrow

5. TC97

TC97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Much appreciated mate. I've already been for one today (my Christmas sounds great I know) but I'll be off for one tomorrow as well. Bit of phys breaks up the monotony. Merry Christmas to you also and I hope enjoy the rest of your day.

TC

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shadow Frog

Shadow Frog Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Warm welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on passing PRMC, and very best of luck with RT!

• Like Like x 1
  7. TC97

TC97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks very much, a very warm welcome indeed. I guess it says something about me and my career plans when my Christmas presents include an iron and an ironing board......

TC

• Like Like x 3
  8. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Sorry, but AR? Army Reserve I take it?

9. wellmemedmyboy

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Yes that is correct

10. almondsandapples

almondsandapples Royal Marines Commando

Hope its a decent iron, that thing will get thoroughly used. Put your name on it too and your ironing board. Put your name on EVERYTHING, make it a habit. Two words..

Kit Pile.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Good lad. Get amongst it and make yourself comfortable on here.

Don't listen to your teachers or nay Sayers. This generation seems intent on pushing kids into uni and making a generation of people who can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

You keep marching to the beat of your own drummer.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm cautious about generalizing but some teachers have spent much of their lives in education—either receiving it or teaching it—and consequently have little knowledge of service life and a narrow view of the reality of modern life in general.

You are about to embark on the toughest and most rewarding adventure of your life to date. Without doubt many of your college contemporaries will envy your career aspirations. Depending on your circumstances and ambition the option of university will remain open to you when you leave the service. Best of luck.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

You got the best of both worlds!! An academic ability, and now your about to begin the most amazing adventure!! Embrace every moment, good and bad!! And never give up!!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. TC97

TC97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

15. TC97

TC97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Your right about the direction of this generation, the amount of people going to uni these days is ever increasing and that can only decrease the value of degree's. Most have no idea on what they want to do in life and simply use it as an extra 3 or so years of thinking time. Thanks very much for all the support and encouragement.

TC

• Like Like x 2
  16. almondsandapples

Agreed. You obviously had the initial interest in joining the military, hence why you're where you are now.
    As long as you're attitude is good you'll be fine, gen that'll literally get you through. You can get someone fitter and more squared away but can't stop someone being a hat if they are indeed a hat.

Wish I joined at a younger age myself.

(*text deleted*, Being fitter than others does make it a smoother ride though. Prep now).

17. TC97

TC97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

I wouldn't be too cautious as I think you've hit the nail on the head there! Most teachers have never left academics having been through uni and then gone straight into teaching so it could be argued they have a narrow view of other paths. That said, despite many of my teachers lack of knowledge of my career some were as supportive as they could be. Again, the support is very much appreciated and I'm sure I shall need every last ounce of it.

TC

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  18. TC97

TC97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

Your right, attitude is a main factor and I know I have maintain it to a high standard if I hope to pass training, let alone thrive in the corps. Out of interest what age did you join and did it bring about extra issues such as relationships, bills etc. that you had to deal with?

TC

19. almondsandapples

I joined at 26. Late in life for personal reasons. I was one of the oldest in my troop in training just like I am in my company now. For me it worked as I understood that you have to do *text deleted* jobs sometimes to make the bigger picture work and I had worked a lot of manual labour intensive job, some younger lads did seem a lot more with it in the early mornings though I'll say that. Never been a morning person.

This is why I would say go to CTC with an attitude to soak up information, have respect for the people in the job that you are trying to get. Have integrity and if you are to have an easier time you should develop a dark sense of humour and a thick skin. Training will and should be hard.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TC97

TC97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks for that, I find it useful to get as many different perspectives to training as possible as it gives me more information to draw upon. You are completely right though about the attitude though. At the end of the day its me who wants to join their club so I have to confrom to their standards. It's down to how much you really want it in the end. How long have you been in now and what was it like adjusting from life at CTC to your unit?