Assault Course

bartzkingx

Reaction score
I'm doing my Potential Officers Course in March and part of it is to lead a team through one of the assault course obstacles, so I'd like before I go down to have an idea on what obstacles are actually on it. Problem is I can't find anywhere listing or showing what they are? Anyone no where I could find them?

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you have to lead a team through the assault course? its kinda basic assault course mate i mean when you see it im sure you could think of loads of ways of getting a team around it ? are you sure thats what you *text deleted* do?

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hiya mate, hopefully this helps its the same assault course you do on prmc (i imagine it is) then here's the obstacle's -

Tank trap (water Jump)
5ft wall
Cargo net crawl
zig zag walls
monkey bars
High rope obstacle
Wooden bridge
Run up a hill
Metal frame wall
tunnels
Rope climb up a wall
Sprint to the finish

I think thats the right order mate ... *text deleted*... i'm sure some will correct me if i'm wrong.

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good stuff shiloh i could remeber it but i couldnt name them *text deleted* didnt know how big the walls were etc .

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
bartzkingx: Here a partial photograph of the start of the assault course.

See Photograph of the bottom field:

http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=794

From memory and it has been a long time now since I was there, you have to cross:

The Water Jump, The 6 Foot wall, under the cargo nets, The Monkey Bars, across the top of the sigzag wall, up and over the cazam (you have to do a half regain here), across the draw bridge (wooden bridge suspended), up the hill over 2 fence obstacles, through a small tunnel and climp up a rope over a block obstacle.

Guys: Now this isn't probably spot on accurate as I haven't been to CTCRM since the mid 1990's at a reunion. So feel free to correct anything I've wrote.

Cheers

steve

bartzkingx

Reaction score
Hi Plummy,

Yeah the POC involves you and your team taking it in turns leading the rest of the team over the obstacles with a wooden telegraph pole that isnt allowed to touch the floor.

It's pretty intense n that's why I'd like to know what they are before I go so thanks a lot lads.

One more thing though, what is the tunnel? How long is it and how deep?

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
One more thing though, what is the tunnel? How long is it and how deep?
Mate the tunnels are made from those concrete tubular sections they use for sewage and that, its only about 20ft long, you can easily crawl on hands and knees through it (i'm 6'1' and was 13st mate and had no issues at all).
It would be interesting to see if, you could get a team and log through it though, because your crawl through it horizontally & climb out vertically ...

bartzkingx

Reaction score
How the hell do we manage that then?! Has anyone done POC that had to lead or was led on the tunnels? How did you do it?

RC

Reaction score
How the hell do we manage that then?! Has anyone done POC that had to lead or was led on the tunnels? How did you do it?
I haven't done POC so I can't say for sure but I don't think you are required to this obstacle.

These links may give you a better idea as to what to expect.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3kjXUQoW1HQ&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q7HtnsP7ZiE - obviously you won't be required to get the pole round the tarzan part, but in the middle of the vid is more footage of the assault course.

Rich.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
The tunnels have a kink or 2 in them half way through. So it would be impossible to get anythiong through them that is straight and longer than around 4 feet, as they just wouldn't turn the corners.

So you won't have to take the poles through...

All the best

GW