Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Asthma and Military

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Blueshirts5101, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Blueshirts5101

Blueshirts5101 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    First i *text deleted* say thank you to anyone that replies because i know this question gets asked a lot.

I always wanted to join the military and all of that stuff, when i was 14 i decided i wanted to join the Paras or Marines, 2-3 months i found out about asthma and how you have to be 4 years clear, i have been prescribed multiple inhalers in the past and one this year. I have been reading a lot about asthma and how people got rid of asthma. I am 16 right now and i have to wait 4 years to join due to the inhaler, if everything goes to plan and i get rid of asthma and i apply when i am 2o, i *text deleted* know if i will be PMU or fine, one more question, do you guys know anyone who serves or served in the Marines or the Army who had asthma.

Once again thank you.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Generally speaking those who recover from childhood asthma do so because their lungs mature as they reach adulthood. Some people do recover, some people don't.

Anyone who joins the service and suffers an asthma attack after joining, whatever the cause (cold weather, exercise induced, etc), would usually undergo an employability assessment and be medically discharged.

If you've been prescribed more than one course or oral steroid tablets beyond the age of five or been hospitalised through asthma then unfortunately, even if four years free from inhaler prescriptions, it's unlikely you would be passed fit to enter.

In any event, you need to discuss your condition with your GP or asthma nurse before you consider coming off the inhalers.

3. Blueshirts5101

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    After talking to my mum, i have a better understanding of my case. My prescription is different to normal ones, i only get an inhaler when i go down to my GP and say i "need" one. I have never been hospitalized or prescribed oral steroids, does this mean there is hope or nah. I will be going to the GP to test for asthma for more information.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If your inhalers were only precribed uppn request purely for precautionary reasons but were never used and you still have the sealed, unused inhalers, then it maybe worth talking to your GP to makes sure you are safe to come off the inhalers.

I've seen people sucessfully prove they no longer have asthma in this way.

Odds are, however, the Medical Examiner will need to see you are four years prescription-free before he/she is prepared to pass you fit to enter.

5. Blueshirts5101

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I found out i was prescribed one course of oral steroids when i was 5 or 6, will this affect my application?

6. gibo57

gibo57 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Only if you have been prescribed for oral steroids over the age of 5 twice. If you have only been prescribed them once then you should be in the clear.