Athletes or sportsmen

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Dej, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Dej

Dej New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Do athletes or sportsmen have better chances at passing the prmc??

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The obvious answer would appear to be 'yes' but the obvious is not straightforward. For instance, a candidate with impressive levels of physical fitness but who is perceived to be not making a maximum effort on his PRMC might attract adverse attention.

Another less physically talented candidate might demonstrably make 110% effort.

Hopefully others will chip in with their views.

• Like Like x 1
  3. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Absolutely not in my opinion. You’re completely missing the point if you assume it’s mainly down to physical ability.

They can train someone up to required level who has outstanding attitude, very difficult to change the personality of a Barry big b0ll0cks athlete.

• Like Like x 2
  4. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I believe I read somewhere that athletes/sportsman don’t fair too well, something to do with already peaking and becoming prone to injury more!! Just wish I knew where I’d read it -banghead-

• Like Like x 1
  5. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

Passing PRMC or the early elements of physical tests when you start recruit training then yes, they probably do.

When it comes to being on Dartmoor when you are cold, wet, tired, still have 8 hours of yomping left and you aren't even halfway through the exercise- that's when it's a level playing field and it's all down to your mental strength.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  6. Squatmonkey

Squatmonkey Royal Marines Commando

The demands of sport is similar to demands of soldiering in some ways, but in a lot of ways massively different.

Sport does require dedication and determination but at the end of the day you are going for max performance with creature comforts (full nights sleep, good food, rest to get rid of fatigue or niggles).

RT is about digging out blind regardless of what conditions you are in, and still performing to the standard

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

I hear gymnasts & athletes fair quite well in the early stages of recruit selection and training but they usually train specific to their sport and as such, the load carrying aspect of Recruit Training can take it's toll.

8. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Strap a Bergen to anyone’s back and you’ll see their true personality come through. There will never be a time that a recruit is observed more by the DS than when carrying a full Bergen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Spot on!

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  10. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Nope.

I have seen grown men cry and give up while 15 year old lads crack on.
    I have seen professional rugby players give up in Recruit training.
    I have seen “athletes” struggle in Recruit training and PRMC.

It’s a mindset.

You can have a bloke that’s physically capable of it, but doesn’t have the resilience to bash on regardless.
    You can have another bloke that struggles but never gives up and will always improve and bash on regardless and show the resilience needed to get the job done.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Collieryboy

Collieryboy Member

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  12. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

He’s in rag order. His kit is In a terrible state. And he is in a terrible state. If he’s anywhere beyond week 5 of training, then he is a *text deleted* *text deleted*!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  13. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Still going? The purpose of any yomp is to get to the final destination and then fight. That guy is a total mess and looks as if he couldn't punch his way out of a paper bag.

The guy before him and those after him are all in better order than he is. They're all carrying their weapons correctly and none of them are looking like the bag of sh!te that he is.

Look at the history of the Corps. In 1982 45 Cdo yomped around 90km carrying bergens weighing between 80 and 100lbs over 3 days. At the end, they then fought a battle, which they won. That guy would have been binned along the route, which ultimately leaves his section with one weapon less pointing towards the enemy, thereby leaving his oppos exposed.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1