Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Audition Pieces

Discussion in 'Royal Marines Band' started by rycbar, Dec 16, 2017.

1. rycbar

rycbar New Member

Now trying to work out what to pieces to play for auditions. Anybody got any suggestions? I'm currently looking at petite piece concertante, but am open to suggestions from anyone
    (I'm a grade 8 cornet player)

2. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
  3. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Game of thrones.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Go for something technical and one which displays your tone quality as well as musical dexterity. Petite Piece Concertante is not a bad call.

If you want to be a soloist, something like John Williams Cowboys Overture arranged for brass band is a half decent cornet piece, too.

Push your boundaries, don't play too safe, stretch yourself.

Remember also that even if you are grade eight, training is two years eight months under normal circumstances, so don't be too precious, projecting yourself as a fully trained musician, set in your ways - you need to be receptive to training and further tuition to hone yourself into a Royal Marines Musician.

Remember too that whilst at CTC, you won't be going anywhere near a musical instrument for many weeks, so make sure you are physically fit at the audition...including swimming.

5. Dbass

Dbass Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Don't bite off more then you can chew!
    If you can play a lesser piece really well it will stand you in good stead rather than playing something that is on your limit and making a hash of it.
    Remember you will have nerves to contend with and you want a piece that you can play stood on your head!!
    Try and really analyse the dynamics and phrasing.
    They can teach technique but if you have a good natural round sound show it off!
    Go with an open mind as they will try you on different instruments so don' get despondent as it is another way to look at your character.
    Royal Marines ethos count just as much in the Band Service.
    Good luck

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. ivywavexxi

ivywavexxi Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @rycbar also remember you will probably be asked to play an extract of the piece in every audition you do. You will probably only play the piece in full in your cornet audition.

7. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Star Wars.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rover

Rover Moderator

Rodrigo’s Concierto De Aranjuez

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Must admit I previously was of the same opinion & possibly you have a more recent insight to me.

Last time I visited RMSM, about 18 months back, they briefed us that very often musicians sell themselves short by playing safe pieces that didn't really show off the ability or potential because the individuals were tending to play less technical pieces, note perfect, which left them believing the individual was playing at their peak potential, no more.

There are a few few musicians and drummer/buglers in the Naval Careers Service, some of whom have sat on recent audition boards who have said similar, but a fresh insight is always very welcome.

Interestingly, I sent a young lad (16) for audition as a drummer/bugler about two years ago. His Dad was a former drummer/bugler himself. The lad failed audition because he could barely squeeze a note out of a bugle but was a competant drummer. His Dad was amazed. "When I auditioned" He said, "I couldn't play the bugle but they accepted me". He was told that they had eleven bands then, they had five when.his son auditioned.

The good news was, 12 months later they accepted him on cornet/trumpet, such was his improvement.

10. Dbass

Dbass Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Your right the Band Service has changed quite a bit in the last 20 years or so. But the guys and girls are very good in seeing potential.

It' quite hard to explain but when you hear someone playing you can almost hear it straight away if they have it regardless of what grade they are or diploma they have.

I know many great players in or past that have never taken an exam on their instrument and are amazing!

It's like you have people that are really good at the theory and not the greatest at the pratical element and vice a verser and I dare say that may be the same in many other branches around the Navy.

I have known them to fail great players on their attitude alone as they can tell that he or she just will not be a team player.

What ever way as long as they turn up with the right attitude and give it their best they stand as good as chance as any.

Its just great that youngsters still want to be part of the greatest military band in the world!

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Fully agree and a great insight overall - much appreciated.

To be paid a wage for doing something you enjoy doing and being part of what is truly recognised as the very best is the stuff dreams are made of - most of us never get paid to do the things we do best but the job satisfaction for those that do must be immense.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1